Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need help with the heads

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with the heads

So while I removed the stock manifolds to install some pacesetters, one rear manifold bolt had previously been broke off (found the slight tick when the engine was cold!) and the other head broke off in the same spot. Both 2mm or more below the surface. Both seem extremely hard to get to with a welder, and probably not enough room with an angle drill. So I am now thinking about pulling the heads. I have never dove into an LS engine this deep - this is my first LS, I've been plenty of 4g63 4 cylinder engines so I am not afraid to tackle this job. I am thinking about deburring and smoothening the casting out on the heads myself, and taking it to a machine shop for a valve job, new springs, and getting the bolts removed. I know eventually I want a decent sized cam, and would like to see 475+ rwhp some day. So 1. What valve springs would you recommended? I've heard good thing about Brian Tooley springs. 2. Should I replace my lifters and rockers? I know a lot of this is based on cam choice. 3. Head bolts or studs? (before everything had to be studs on my boosted engines, I doubt this car will ever see boost unless its with a Maggie) 4. What gaskets are generally recommended? 5. Is there anything else I will need to do while I'm in there?
I plan on having PatG spec a cam or going with something like an MS4. The car will be weekend only driven and currently has 103k miles.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Same thing happened to mine last weekend after I pulled it apart.

Put it back together, and no leaks so far. Of course by saying this I am cursing myself. lol

Good Luck!

BTW, an angle drill will fit.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock head gasket & bolts
Do the trunion upgrade to your rockers
brain tooley dual springs
LS7 Lifters

If you can id just wait until you do the cam to do it all
Old 09-08-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice