Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Headers vs Truck manifold vs Log?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers vs Truck manifold vs Log?

Manifolds and logs are cast which is strong but heavy and they don't flow well. Headers flow well but when wrapped I heard they can fail, but stainless has a better chance of survival.Given an option on a twin turbo setup which would you choose? I have all stainless running to my turbos and planned on wrapping them with DEI Titanium wrap. I am running e-85 with an air to air intercooler and water cooled twin turbos. Just making every effort to keep temps down and flow at its highest.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Choose whichever fits your vehicle, your budget, your goals etc etc.

There is no generic answer that one is better than the other without a lot more information.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Choose whichever fits your vehicle, your budget, your goals etc etc.

There is no generic answer that one is better than the other without a lot more information.
This is good advice. Their are stock truck manifolds making 1100+ hp. I am running 5th gen manifolds and have hopes of 1000hp. Tube headers are nice, expensive, but not necessary. They look better and might flow better, but really haven't been proven side by side to be worth the expense. If the build is a budget then manifolds are in order, if no budget, then by all means, turbo headers.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Staging Lane

This is the current setup... Deployed right now so I have a lot of time to critique my work and have peer insight.
Attached Thumbnails Headers vs Truck manifold vs Log?-2013-05-01_19-42-54_116.jpg  
Old 09-07-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

The Ohio Boys went nearly 200mph in the 1/4 with truck factory manifolds in a full weight turbo Fbody (3500lbs+). I'd say they work pretty good.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

The turbo is the restriction in the exhaust, type of exhaust manifold is irrelevant unless you are trying to get every bit of power possible out of a set up.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:17 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black Reign
This is the current setup... Deployed right now so I have a lot of time to critique my work and have peer insight.
If you already have the install done, clearly you have plenty of room for those tubular versions. So what is the real reason behind the question ?

I would disagree that header choice is irrelevant. I'm sure it very much can make a difference. Whether it is enough difference and a difference in the area you want is another matter. And again at what cost.

The smaller port sizes and short design of typical cast manifolds will give more chance of fast spool.
I guess depending on turbo choice and cam choice there will be a point when tubular headers will make more power more easily.

Where that line is, and when you will reach it is again another matter.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by quicksilverado
The turbo is the restriction in the exhaust, type of exhaust manifold is irrelevant unless you are trying to get every bit of power possible out of a set up.
I am! Hahahaha. My friend with an 06 Ford GT, just dyno'd at 1500rwhp. I know he is more aerodynamic, but in a quarter I want to beat him. If I have to end up getting an aftermarket block and add even more displacement to do so, so be it.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:22 PM
9 Second Club

I am! Hahahaha. My friend with an 06 Ford GT, just dyno'd at 1500rwhp. I know he is more aerodynamic, but in a quarter I want to beat him. If I have to end up getting an aftermarket block and add even more displacement to do so, so be it.
That's going to be one very difficult car to beat. The only real advantage you'll have over a 1/4 is if you can find lots of traction and an auto trans as well as huge amounts of power.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

If you already have the install done, clearly you have plenty of room for those tubular versions. So what is the real reason behind the question ?

I would disagree that header choice is irrelevant. I'm sure it very much can make a difference. Whether it is enough difference and a difference in the area you want is another matter. And again at what cost.

The smaller port sizes and short design of typical cast manifolds will give more chance of fast spool.
I guess depending on turbo choice and cam choice there will be a point when tubular headers will make more power more easily.

Where that line is, and when you will reach it is again another matter.
The reason for the question was to gauge which offers the best performance regardless of cost or room? Given creativity, thought, planning, and the ability to fab, a header can be designed to fit. I just got lucky and had room for these to not have to fab. Just wondering if turbo headers are superior to manifolds/logs in a turbo setup? I understand that manifolds are often used but was curious if this was due to cost of a header?
Old 09-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

That's going to be one very difficult car to beat. The only real advantage you'll have over a 1/4 is if you can find lots of traction and an auto trans as well as huge amounts of power.
Well, I feel that I will have weight transfer as an advantage. I am running a 4l80e and will be running drag radials, still have to tub for max width. and as far as huge power I was hoping to hit four digits with a 408, twin billet turbos, comp custom cam, and heads that flow in the 340-350 range.

He weighs a little more then I do, which I was surprised, and running a street tire but it is super wide. Claims it is not setup for drag racing.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:34 PM
9 Second Club

I would say that if cost etc was not an issue, low rpm spool not an issue, then yes you would be better with a good set of equal length tubular headers into a nice merge collector.

They will make more power with less boost. The next question will be tube diameter and length. That's probably an even bigger question than the first one.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:37 PM
9 Second Club

Well, I feel that I will have weight transfer as an advantage. I am running a 4l80e and will be running drag radials, still have to tub for max width. and as far as huge power I was hoping to hit four digits with a 408, twin billet turbos, comp custom cam, and heads that flow in the 340-350 range.

He weighs a little more then I do, which I was surprised, and running a street tire but it is super wide. Claims it is not setup for drag racing.
You have some weight transfer. But the GT already has most of the weight where it matters. And if it has that sort of power...it must be trapping 170-180mph over a 1/4 ?

That's seriously fast. It may not be set up for drag racing, but it's still going to be bloody fast.

Your's will very much need to be set up for drag racing. The auto trans will make a huge difference I'd think though. But either way, you'll still need a similalr power level to him I'd imagine.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

You have some weight transfer. But the GT already has most of the weight where it matters. And if it has that sort of power...it must be trapping 170-180mph over a 1/4 ?

That's seriously fast. It may not be set up for drag racing, but it's still going to be bloody fast.

Your's will very much need to be set up for drag racing. The auto trans will make a huge difference I'd think though. But either way, you'll still need a similalr power level to him I'd imagine.
Gees that sounds like a challenge! The next thing would be for me and him to set up the race? He just got his back on the road after a crash last year and keeps blowing things just from driving it on the street. The guy has three Ford GT's and I think he bought another one last year too, not sure how that worked out?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Found this...

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...ngth_manifolds

Basically states that cast manifolds will spool faster but headers will make a lot more power. With .68 a/r's not really worried about turbo lag, as my car at idle I put my hand over my bell mouths and can just feel the air sucking! Also this is with a 3" mid pipe. Doesn't help with spool but should help with EGT's even though I am running e-85.

Quick Reply: Headers vs Truck manifold vs Log?