Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 L59 5.3 in an 88 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 L59 5.3 in an 88 Camaro

Hey guys, I'm currently working on a complete swap. My camaro was originally V6 with a 2.8. I'm putting a 06 l59 5.3l out of a GMC Sierra 1500 into it with a 88 700R4 transmission behind it. This engine has an electronic throttle body, which I will be replacing with cable operated to match the transmission. My PCM will need work done because it doesn't support IAC and will need programmed for cable operation. I've been told i'll need to change intakes as well but this shouldn't be a problem since I have a hood that is raised and should be able to accommodate this high intake. I have the complete wiring harness for the engine along with the MAF and air intake components. I took the 700r4 out of an 88 pontiac GTA and will also be taking the suspension out of it and putting it in my camaro so it can support the increased engine weight. I have the driveshaft from that car as well so with little modification it should fit right into my camaro. The parts i'm not entirely sure on is the electronic side of things. I'd like to maintain functionality of my interior devices, lights, gauges, sound, etc. and i've been reading that I may need to make the engine ECM standalone but able to communicate with my stock ECM. Advice on that would be great. I also plan to run new exhaust with this engine to increase performance, and I will build a custom air intake once I get it installed and running. Advice on anything to do with this swap will be appreciated.

Quick Reply: 06 L59 5.3 in an 88 Camaro