Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

overheating!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating!

Whats up guys! Ive bren having domr problems with overheating lately...I have a 99 ls1, hardened pushrods rocker arms ect...camm'd (02 ls6)...I can start it up and idle it for ever without it overheating..but after I start driving...there it goes...I first thought thermostat so I swapped it for a 160° ...still actin up....I have a little white smoke..but I just got new head gaskets a good month ago...one thing I noticed is if I cold start it...within 30secs my smog hoses (attatched to my headers) get hot a.f...untouchable forsure...anybody have any ideas? If so plz help me out...
Old 09-07-2013, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you burped the system correctly. Second are you losing water. Cycle the system and let cool and check fluid to make sure your not losing coolent in system and that it just needs to be burped. Last make sure fans are coming on.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

Have you checked for obstruction on the radiator. My C5 was getting really hot and of course you cant see between the condenser and the front of the radiator, I had all kinds of leaves and crap in there but it looked perfect from the other side. Sounds obvious but worth a look.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jwilliams04
Make sure you burped the system correctly. Second are you losing water. Cycle the system and let cool and check fluid to make sure your not losing coolent in system and that it just needs to be burped. Last make sure fans are coming on.
I have not yet burped it...can u explain on how to properly burp it?
And no im not losing any fluids...added coolant and no leak.....also after running hot...I can pop the hood @ 260° and I can rest my hand on my intake,TB,valve covers ect.... (only thing I cant touch is smog related hoses) should i.get EGR block off plates?
And lastly yes my fans are cutting on...
Old 09-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by schnellttz06
Have you checked for obstruction on the radiator. My C5 was getting really hot and of course you cant see between the condenser and the front of the radiator, I had all kinds of leaves and crap in there but it looked perfect from the other side. Sounds obvious but worth a look.
Didnt think of that bruh...I will check that out...should I remove the plastic covers from the bottom to access that area? Cuhz I cant reach/see it from the top right?
Old 09-08-2013, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

If youre working on a vette, you are gonna have a tough time seeing anything unless you actually take out the radiator. That's when I noticed mine. Ironically, now mine is overheating too, I think Im gonna get the edelbrock water pump and dewitt radiator. Not a cheap solution but I dont want to mess around anymore.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Teching In

make sure the overflow and block return hoses are in the correct places on the rad...had a similar issue a while back...over flow hose is just below the cap block return hose is directly below that...just a thought
Old 09-08-2013, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went and bought a autozone radiator fill neck and put it in my heater line. I fill that full of fluid and then start and let the car warm up then cool. Fill one more time and never have issues burping. If you havent burped the system correctly it was cause you issues. Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, this was really bugging me so I just went out and burped mine again. I guess I didnt get it good enough the first time. To burp it, have the reservoir cap off and slowly raise the rpms to 3 grand for 30 seconds and then slowly bring it back down to idle. I watched the reservoir and sure enough, bubbles started coming out, about one every ten seconds. Put the cap back on and it stayed right at 201, which is pretty good for mine.

Quick Reply: overheating!