Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cylinder Damage on my 6.0L help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Cylinder Damage on my 6.0L help!

Can this be honed out or does it have to be bored? If it has to be bored them I'm just gonna go ahead and get the whole block bored over to 4.065 to be an LS3 with factory LS3 flat tops. The damage is right at the lip. It's enough damage to not be being able to get the piston in without a little force WITHOUT the rings installed.

I only paid 150 for the short block from a buddy .It's an Ly6. Besides L92s what's the next best factory head for a N/A build? Or I might just be patient and save for L92s
Old 09-08-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if you take it to a local engine machine shop and have them re chamfer the top of the bore it will be fine. The damaged area is above the top ring.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is above where the first ring runs in the cylinder, so as long as it hones out to show it is round and didn't distort further down the bore, You should be fine....

I wonder if You might not do better by taping off the area below the dented portion to keep from hitting it and polishing the rest with a die grinder using a cone shaped sanding roll, then, hone it to hold the rings better....

You will need to make sure You run a head gasket with a large enough bore to allow You to clean up the deck surface edge and still seal also.....

Since the damage is above where the compression ring sits, and the piston crown and top ring land won't touch it once it is sanded down, I don't see this being any issue for You. It is an iron block so it didn't bend a liner like it might have in an aluminum block.....
Old 09-08-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Besides L92s what's the next best factory head for a N/A build?
LS3s are better, then L92s then LS6s.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by WRXINTX
It is above where the first ring runs in the cylinder, so as long as it hones out to show it is round and didn't distort further down the bore, You should be fine....

I wonder if You might not do better by taping off the area below the dented portion to keep from hitting it and polishing the rest with a die grinder using a cone shaped sanding roll, then, hone it to hold the rings better....

You will need to make sure You run a head gasket with a large enough bore to allow You to clean up the deck surface edge and still seal also.....

Since the damage is above where the compression ring sits, and the piston crown and top ring land won't touch it once it is sanded down, I don't see this being any issue for You. It is an iron block so it didn't bend a liner like it might have in an aluminum block.....
Sounds like great advice to me.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

FML I just missed out on a nice Craigslist deal. LS3 heads and ls3 intake for 600. This would've been one bad *** budget build if I gotten that stuff.

Quick Reply: Cylinder Damage on my 6.0L help!