Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

They are getting cheaper

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 03:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default They are getting cheaper

And their sales are picking up too(the Volt that is)!! Looks like after all the rebates and incentives the base model goes for $26,000. Not too bad and definitely cometitive with the Pruis and Leaf and IMO much better than either of them.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...-5000-to-34995

August sales numbers set record highs as well!

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...-hit-new-highs

I'd buy one if my lifestyle was condusive to this kind of car but I don't commute anywhere on a daily basis. But it's nice to see the General is doing well with it's Electric/Hybrid car.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The car would have sold better if it weren't overpriced on Day 1. The Prius sold for about $8-10K less. GM has a lot of ground to make up in this market.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Should be $20k after all rebates and watch GM take over economy car market overall.
We won't see that happen though...
Old 09-10-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gm will still fail don't worry. it was way to much to begin with and now that they've lost the hype they've lost the sales. sounds in line with past GM bullshit
Old 09-10-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been in the 100+ mile/day club for longer than I can remember and these types of cars are so expensive that they have never been attractive for me. I can land a 30+ mpg car for 2000 dollars here easily and have over 18000 to spend on gas.

It is so hard to validate the purchase of any new car if your goal is true savings.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

The point of the Volt isn't massive sales, it's to meet government mandates. GM makes the car because they have to, not because it makes economic sense to.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
The point of the Volt isn't massive sales, it's to meet government mandates. GM makes the car because they have to, not because it makes economic sense to.
Yeah, Bob Lutz must have absolutely hated that car and was probably furious at the government for forcing him to make it..oh wait..

http://www.forbes.com/sites/boblutz/...postmans-butt/

3/12/2012 @ 9:26AM
Let me reiterate:

The Volt was largely my idea, and I was its undeniable champion. Work on it was started in 2006. Obama was elected in 2008.

...Meanwhile, the dastardly, communist Volt’s rebadged sister car, the Opel Ampera, was just selected as European Car of the Year by 59 of Europe’s leading automotive journalists. But what do they know? They’re only Europeans! (Incidentally, it’s the first time in history that an American-engineered and produced car has won European Car of the Year. A source of national pride? No … according to the Right-heads, a reason for shame!)

So, the loony right has its jaws sunk into the Volt with all the stupid determination of a terrier who has locked his teeth into the mailman’s butt. And with the same result: painful, but without any useful purpose.

So, if this continues, will we see the Republican presidential campaign centered on the Volt, with catchy slogans like “Vote Republican! Kill the Volt before it kills you!”?

The current insanity is of such magnitude that it wouldn’t surprise me.

Bob Lutz op-ed.

http://blogs.automotive.com/this-day...olt-83869.html

Last edited by jimmy169; 09-14-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

If Bob actually wrote that, he's more of an idiot than I previously thought and proves the point, you haven't got to have common sense to be in charge of a large corporation(maybe he's just lost it with age) . Volt is a car, largely UNWANTED by Americans. It's that simple, regardless what Bob suggests or the excuses he levies against outside reports against the car itself. If America WANTED the VOLT, Americans would buy it, period. They just don't think it's worth the asking price overall. That's what GM has come to learn over the past 2 plus yrs. "We, the People" just aren't interested enough to overpay by 10 thousand plus, to get a car that isn't any better than the average new car. My new Ford won't get the "mileage" of a new VOLT, but it looks better to me, has more nice electronics, cost 10k fewer dollars, hauls more and doesn't require a plug to fuel up... By the time I spend the 10k difference on fuel, the car will have been replaced.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
That would be the most sincerely stupid thing GM has done since removing the Corvair...

Building a car because the government requires it, but NOT actually doing so to also SELL the car... Dumb, plain and simple. Look at all the other manufacturers required to meet the exact same standards and look what they're doing. Many of them outsell the VOLT and some are just as over-priced.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Yeah, Bob Lutz must have absolutely hated that car and was probably furious at the government for forcing him to make it..oh wait..
http://www.forbes.com/sites/boblutz/...postmans-butt/

I actually have a little bit more respect for Lutz after having read that article.

Originally Posted by Bob Lutz
(Incidentally, it’s the first time in history that an American-engineered and produced car has won European Car of the Year. A source of national pride? No … according to the Right-heads, a reason for shame!)

I think this pretty much sums up all those who just want to hate on the car because of what they think it represents... as opposed to what it is (just a car).

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Volt is a car, largely UNWANTED by Americans. It's that simple, regardless what Bob suggests or the excuses he levies against outside reports against the car itself. If America WANTED the VOLT, Americans would buy it, period. They just don't think it's worth the asking price overall. That's what GM has come to learn over the past 2 plus yrs. "We, the People" just aren't interested enough to overpay by 10 thousand plus, to get a car that isn't any better than the average new car.
50,000 Happy Volt owners and counting...
Old 09-15-2013, 01:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z Fury
The car would have sold better if it weren't overpriced on Day 1. The Prius sold for about $8-10K less. GM has a lot of ground to make up in this market.
Agreed!!
Old 09-15-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

If Bob actually wrote that, he's more of an idiot than I previously thought and proves the point, you haven't got to have common sense to be in charge of a large corporation(maybe he's just lost it with age) . Volt is a car, largely UNWANTED by Americans. It's that simple, regardless what Bob suggests or the excuses he levies against outside reports against the car itself. If America WANTED the VOLT, Americans would buy it, period. They just don't think it's worth the asking price overall. That's what GM has come to learn over the past 2 plus yrs. "We, the People" just aren't interested enough to overpay by 10 thousand plus, to get a car that isn't any better than the average new car. My new Ford won't get the "mileage" of a new VOLT, but it looks better to me, has more nice electronics, cost 10k fewer dollars, hauls more and doesn't require a plug to fuel up... By the time I spend the 10k difference on fuel, the car will have been replaced.
http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In...of-all-US-cars

By John Voelcker, Guest blogger / September 22, 2012
Failure? Hardly. Chevy Volt outsells half of all US cars.
Chevy Volt sales figures this year are higher than roughly half of the 260 or so car models sold in the US.

Being that this is the automotive news section, it would be nice if people would stop talking out of their asses and site a source or two (with all due respect). Some of these insinuations are outrageous, laughable, and/or simply untrue. It's a new technology that needed more of a premium when it first rolled out, is that so unheard of? Now it continues to gain in sales, enough so to justify a substantial price cut. Looks like Americans are buying it after all, period?

I believe the car was priced too expensive to start as well but the batteries and technology when it rolled out looked substantially more expensive than the Prius hybrid system when that car came out, so I'm not sure how much room they had to work with for it to be financially feasible to bring to production at the time. That might be insider information unless someone can find any details on production costs?

And I prefer a plug as I want the ability to recharge at my own home potentially wireless by simply rolling into the garage. I'd love to have a daily that I don't have to think about while I have more time and money to wrench on my recreational toys, the turbo v8 of my choosing Brave new world huh?

Edit: And here's the kicker http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/06/volt-v-vette/

Chevrolet Volt Outselling Corvette in 2012
BY DAMON LAVRINC0 6.15.12

Chevrolet’s plug-in hybrid sedan is in its first year of full production, and after six months of sales, the Volt has toppled the Chevy Corvette in the retail race.

So far in 2012, Chevy has offloaded 7,057 Volts, compared to the the Corvette’s 5,547 sales

Now are you going to apply that whole "we the people" rant to the corvette? Didn't think so.

Last edited by jimmy169; 09-15-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Jimmy, I don't care, and most people who can think for themselves don't, if VOLT outsells half of all US models... That's like saying a college team can beat half of all high school teams in a football game... It's STILL a loser!

VOLT allowed GM to celebrate it's best month all year(and in history, I think) last month, having sold a WHOPPING 3,351 units!! YEAH!!! That's well under 1/2 the number of Camaro's sold during the same month and it's also lower than nearly every other model Chevy offers, by quite a bit. GM sells about as many CRUZE variants in 2 months as they do VOLT all year combined. Easily, twice as many Camaro's are sold in a yr... Silverado? Don't even bother to count that difference(hundreds of thousands). The only model Chevy will likely have sold fewer of is the Corvette and considering both the price of Corvette and the limited use, that stands to reason.

GM dropped the price of VOLT and the sales went up... Imagine that. It's at position 133 of 262 and that's supposed to mean NO failure? Really? Who expected the Nissan GTR to outsell the VOLT? How about any Lamborghini? Even large or near large luxury cars often sell less than VOLT... and pretty much every car the VOLT has outsold for the year is also notably more expensive than VOLT. Most were more expensive prior to GM dropping their asking price.

We DO want Corvette, but GM isn't touting the Corvette as the revelation of green... or offering any $90,000.00 PLUS dollar version of VOLT...

Having sold more than another failure(we're talking money here) doesn't mean it's not a failure. That's like saying, "Jenny was 1 "D" away from passing 3rd grade and Lisa was 2 away... Jenny didn't fail, since Lisa failed by more." DEEERRRRR....
Old 09-15-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
I have been in the 100+ mile/day club for longer than I can remember and these types of cars are so expensive that they have never been attractive for me. I can land a 30+ mpg car for 2000 dollars here easily and have over 18000 to spend on gas.

It is so hard to validate the purchase of any new car if your goal is true savings.
If anyone's wondering, $18000 to spend on gas($3.50/gal) on a car that does at least 30MPG is 155,000 miles. And that's just to break even
Old 09-16-2013, 03:09 AM
TECH Veteran

A lot more people seem to be picking these up because of knockout lease deals and the fuel economy. Cars like this are starting to catch on little by little.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

Jimmy, I don't care, and most people who can think for themselves don't, if VOLT outsells half of all US models... That's like saying a college team can beat half of all high school teams in a football game... It's STILL a loser!

VOLT allowed GM to celebrate it's best month all year(and in history, I think) last month, having sold a WHOPPING 3,351 units!! YEAH!!! That's well under 1/2 the number of Camaro's sold during the same month and it's also lower than nearly every other model Chevy offers, by quite a bit. GM sells about as many CRUZE variants in 2 months as they do VOLT all year combined. Easily, twice as many Camaro's are sold in a yr... Silverado? Don't even bother to count that difference(hundreds of thousands). The only model Chevy will likely have sold fewer of is the Corvette and considering both the price of Corvette and the limited use, that stands to reason.

GM dropped the price of VOLT and the sales went up... Imagine that. It's at position 133 of 262 and that's supposed to mean NO failure? Really? Who expected the Nissan GTR to outsell the VOLT? How about any Lamborghini? Even large or near large luxury cars often sell less than VOLT... and pretty much every car the VOLT has outsold for the year is also notably more expensive than VOLT. Most were more expensive prior to GM dropping their asking price.

We DO want Corvette, but GM isn't touting the Corvette as the revelation of green... or offering any $90,000.00 PLUS dollar version of VOLT...

Having sold more than another failure(we're talking money here) doesn't mean it's not a failure. That's like saying, "Jenny was 1 "D" away from passing 3rd grade and Lisa was 2 away... Jenny didn't fail, since Lisa failed by more." DEEERRRRR....
Look, you obviously have the right to your opinion as does everyone but you don't speak for everyone nor do you speak for the majority of "we the people." That quote was pretty heavy so I am only asking for you to at least site a couple of sources when you have such strong heavy handed remarks unless you're just speaking for yourself. You're post claiming to speak for the majority of Americans coupled with some of the government conspiracy misinformation on here pertaining to the volt was the reason for my overly condescending reply which I do regret now and I apologize for it's offensive nature. I mean like I said, we all have our opinions.

I am genuinely interested in why you disproportionately dislike the volt? I know there is more government incentive for better gas economy that seems to be more geared towards electric than it was during the Bush years which back then seemed to be more geared towards hydrogen. Do you prefer hydrogen more because at this point electric seems to be more realistic and more reachable than hydrogen power, although they are working on that as well, as well as bringing over more diesels. Why is the different nature of the competition (electric, hydrogen, gas, diesel) such a bad thing?

I have a friend that almost seemed to take it personally when I told him I drove a Prius the other day. He hates those cars and any car that he considers "green" with a passion and it took me back because I can't understand why? Why are some people so inclined to defend the oil and gas industry? They have more than enough money and connections to take care of themselves.

By the way, can you site a source for your sales figures?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by M4N14C
If anyone's wondering, $18000 to spend on gas($3.50/gal) on a car that does at least 30MPG is 155,000 miles. And that's just to break even
This car is a plug in hybrid so it's rough estimated mile per gallon figure can't give a savings estimate.

In short, your CPS Energy bill will likely increase roughly $45 per month as a result of driving electric. (http://www.cpsenergy.com/About_CPS_E...rging_cost.asp)

That takes into account the average cost of $1.50 when charging the car every night, but those prices will vary. Take however much you fill up every month, subtract $45 and there is your savings that can be put towards the monthly payment of the car. With decent credit and a fair down payment it has the potential to nearly pay for itself considering the savings coupled with the monthly cost of the loan, and resale value versus your down payment when you're ready to move on.

You're statement is more fitting for every other generic gas/diesel car out there.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

Not a big fan of the hybrids or electric cars, doesn't fit with the keep it for 200K + miles I like. Not knocking the car or the owners. I would like to see a comprehensive line of electric, hybrid, clean diesel subcompacts.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy169
You're statement is more fitting for every other generic gas/diesel car out there.
It was

Look who I quoted...
Old 09-16-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by M4N14C
It was

Look who I quoted...
Oh right, sorry! Got caught up in the hate wagon making everything look like it was there to bash the Volt. The whole debate is ironic for me because the volt may not be my particular best choice for a plug in or plug in hybrid. It has an important role to play in the growing competition though.

Quick Reply: They are getting cheaper