Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Help with BS, tire size, and rear end length. Read first!

Old 09-10-2013, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with BS, tire size, and rear end length. Read first!

So I searched and searched for days and couldn't really find a good solid answer. I am wanting to buy a rear end (Moser or MWC most likely) that is shortened 3" per side, and I was planning on running a 15x10 wheel with 4.5" BS because I like the deep dish/lip. From what I've gathered, a wheel with 4.5" BS on a rear that is shortened 3" per side will "stick out too much". I was planning on running either a 275/60/15 or a 295/55/15, as I am undecided. My car is not lowered but I was wanting to lower it with BMR springs in the near future. I also have seen many people go with a 5.5" BS on a rear shortened 3" per side and they got a "perfect tucked fit", but the majority added a 1/4" spacer...I do not want to run a spacer.

So I guess my question is, would a 4.5" BS wheel on a rear that is shortened 2.5" per side, with a 295/55/15 tire fit "perfectly" with no need for a spacer? Or would a 4.5" BS wheel on a rear shortened 3" per side with a 295/55/15 wheel stick out too much? And am I going to have to roll the fenders? I am new to the wheel/tire/fitment area and I have looked at so many options they are all starting to run together. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Okay for example a 18 x 10 with a +50 offset will have about 7.5" B.S., and will fit good within the wheel wells with a 295/35/18 tire and a standard width rear-end.
So with a rear-end narrowed 2.5" per side you'd want a 5" B.S., and with
a 3" narrowed per side you'll want a 4.5" , and you should still have a good fitment within the wheel wells.

BTW I didn't factor in variations is side wall width of different tire heights.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Okay for example a 18 x 10 with a +50 offset will have about 7.5" B.S., and will fit good within the wheel wells with a 295/35/18 tire and a standard width rear-end.
So with a rear-end narrowed 2.5" per side you'd want a 5" B.S., and with
a 3" narrowed per side you'll want a 4.5" , and you should still have a good fitment within the wheel wells.

BTW I didn't factor in variations is side wall width of different tire heights.
I understand that, and thanks for the reply. I will only be running a 15" wheel though. And I know that if you shorten the rear 3", theoretically a 4.5" BS would be proper. But everyone here says that it "sticks out too much" and doesn't tuck up nicely.

Can anyone help with this?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Papa Wells
I understand that, and thanks for the reply. I will only be running a 15" wheel though. And I know that if you shorten the rear 3", theoretically a 4.5" BS would be proper. But everyone here says that it "sticks out too much" and doesn't tuck up nicely.

Can anyone help with this?
It shouldn't matter what the wheel diameter is, back spacing is measured the same whether the wheel is a 15" or a 20".
Maybe there's something I'm not taking into account, but I just don't see it.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
It shouldn't matter what the wheel diameter is, back spacing is measured the same whether the wheel is a 15" or a 20".
Maybe there's something I'm not taking into account, but I just don't see it.
No you're right, and I completely understand that. I apologize if I wasn't clear, as I'm new to the wheel fitment area of knowledge. I guess I was seeing if anyone here that was running a shortened rear with a 4.5" bs wheel or 5.5" be wheel could chime in and let me know what route they went. I was originally planning on doing a rear shortened 3" per side with a 4.5" bs wheel and a 295/55/15, but I have read from tons of people that the 4.5" bs wheel with a 3" shortened rear will "stick out too much", which then worries me if it will hit on the fender. (Rolling fenders isn't a huge deal, but I would prefer not to have to do it.) Sorry if there's still confusion and I appreciate the help.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Look at a lot of photos and decide on the look you prefer. Me personally I had the flush with the fender look and he 295 exaggerates it more than the 275 while the 325 is the worst in my eyes. Since you 100% are against a spacer then you have to hit it right the first go. I would go with a 3.25"-3.5" narrowed with 4.5 bs. You will need offset lca and I suggest Eric at Midwest to set you up with he correct fitment and parts. I'm working with him right now on a little over a 5" narrow per side with a 15x11 with 3.5bs. But I may need to mini tub.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with BS, tire size, and rear end length. Read first!