Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Which SLP exhaust is on my 2000 SS camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which SLP exhaust is on my 2000 SS camaro

Before any of you start I know about the search button and believe me this is probably one of my last options.

So I bought a mint 2000 SS NBM camaro M6 with 44k miles. It has a bunch of nice options one being the SLP dual/dual Loud mouth exhaust. My only problem is that I can't for the life of me tell if it is an LM 1 or 2. I really don't want to cut the muffler if I don't have too. If it's a 2 I will probably go with a 1 or a Borla XR 1 to get a deeper tone but if it's a 1 i'll just leave it. Here is a link to the vid of it revving. Maybe this will help even though it was not the best quality. Thanks ahead for any productive advice that may come of this.

Last edited by Tonyz400; 09-11-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This sounds like a stock SLP dual/dual to me. Maybe I'm misunderstanding but the Loudmouth 1 and 2 are aftermarket catbacks, your catback should have neither of those mufflers if it hasn't been tampered with.

Also clean car, I miss having that color

Last edited by TransAmWS.6; 09-10-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 AM
Staging Lane

So the dual/dual isn't even a loudmouth? It has all the same piping as one with the bullet style muffler
Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Here is the description from a 2002 ad:

"Stainless steel system features dual outlets with two exhaust tips on each side, which provides the authoritative "exhaust note" and aggressive profile enthusiasts want. A freer-flowing muffler and associated hardware, combined with proprietary SLP technology, help increase engine output to 335 horsepower."

I have the CME on mine and always thought both systems were SLP's "Loudmouth". It could be that SLP offered the Loudmouth 2 at a later date.

I have the original SLP window sticker around here someplace and will look to see how the exhaust is listed.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks because I just looked up the Dual/Dual on youtube and everyone seems to have the normal muffler that travels parallel to the rear axle. Mine doesn't. And yes the car is all stock. The previous owner wasn't really a gear head. He just bought the car new and drove it the way it was. I on the other hand am a different story haha
Old 09-11-2013, 12:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonyz400
Ok thanks because I just looked up the Dual/Dual on youtube and everyone seems to have the normal muffler that travels parallel to the rear axle. Mine doesn't. And yes the car is all stock. The previous owner wasn't really a gear head. He just bought the car new and drove it the way it was. I on the other hand am a different story haha
"Loudmouth", both 1 and 2, are aftermarket SLP catbacks and were NOT available stock as a Y2Y option. If this is what you have, then it's not stock.

The "upgrade" exhaust that could be ordered on an SS (and was standard on Firehawk) is the SLP dual/dual system that uses a crossflow muffler mounted in the stock location behind the axle. This same muffler/system was used for cars optioned with the center mount exhaust as well (only difference being the tail pipes).

If you have a system without the crossflow muffler behind the axle, but rather a bullet muffler/resonator in the I-pipe, then you no longer have the original catback.

It's possibile that your car may have been originally optioned with the dual/dual system, and someone has since modified or replaced it.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:56 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't feel bad about what things are called since you're just getting into the cars. Back when these were new I also thought the Y2Y exhaust options were called "loudmouth" and that the blackwing was called a "whisper lid." Live and learn.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

If it has been changed then I guess the dealer did it because the vin does say it is an SLP edition SS and has the SLP exhaust. And I know it has the bullet muffler with no crossflow muffler. Something tells me this is gonna make it harder haha. I'm starting to wonder if I should just leave it until after the Long tubes and ORY go on or if I should just pony up a hundred something bucks and buy a Borla XR1 or a Moroso spiral flow? What do you guys think is the best sounding bullet muffler for a full exhaust car? Vids would be nice.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SLP Dual/Dual looks like this:
http://www.ls1sounds.com/SLPdual-dual/dual-dual.jpg

SLP Loudmouth (both 1 and 2) look like this, with the only difference being the resonator/muffler:
http://www.slponline.com/mm5/i/parts/31042-1.jpg

SLP Dual/Dual was available as an option on the SS cars and isn't all that loud.

SLP Loudmouth is aftermarket, didn't come factory on any car, and is loud as hell.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Okay so this may help. I just spoke with SLP and gave them my vin #. Mine is build # 2968 for year 2000 ans is in fact an SLP edition. Mine had the crossflow from SLP but he said it is possible the dealer upgraded it. In 2002 Dealers offered the option to upgrade to a "classic" style exhaust which was the Loudmouth but that was still considered an aftermarket product. GM never allowed the SLP loudmouth to be mounted from the factory due to emissions and noise level.

To answer my question of if it's a 1 or 2 muffler, he explained to take a screw driver and tap the metal end on the resonator. If it is hollow and "tingy" it's a 1. If it's muffled and almost sounds full it is a 2. I guess I will find out soon enough.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Okay so I tapped on the muffler and it was as hollow as could be and rang all the way down the system. It's for sure a loudmouth 1 muffler. Thanks for the help guys. I hope I didn't annoy anyone with all my questions.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
SLP Dual/Dual looks like this:
http://www.ls1sounds.com/SLPdual-dual/dual-dual.jpg

SLP Loudmouth (both 1 and 2) look like this, with the only difference being the resonator/muffler:
http://www.slponline.com/mm5/i/parts/31042-1.jpg

SLP Dual/Dual was available as an option on the SS cars and isn't all that loud.

SLP Loudmouth is aftermarket, didn't come factory on any car, and is loud as hell.
This is exactly correct.

Originally Posted by Tonyz400
Okay so this may help. I just spoke with SLP and gave them my vin #. Mine is build # 2968 for year 2000 ans is in fact an SLP edition. Mine had the crossflow from SLP but he said it is possible the dealer upgraded it. In 2002 Dealers offered the option to upgrade to a "classic" style exhaust which was the Loudmouth but that was still considered an aftermarket product. GM never allowed the SLP loudmouth to be mounted from the factory due to emissions and noise level.
Perhaps some dealers offered this service, but not all. Considering the car is 13 years old and you're not the original owner, I'd say it's more likely that a previous owner installed the system. Either way, as confirmed by SLP, no SS came originally with any loudmouth system.

FYI. Every SS is an "SLP edition". SLP Engineering did the conversion on every 4th gen SS that GM sold from 1996 to 2002. There was a base SS package (RPO WU8) and then additional SLP upgrade options (RPO Y2Y) such as the dual/dual catback and several others. In the later years, I believe all SSs received both RPO codes even if there were no additional SLP options beyond the base SS package.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:03 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
FYI. Every SS is an "SLP edition". SLP Engineering did the conversion on every 4th gen SS that GM sold from 1996 to 2002. There was a base SS package (RPO WU8) and then additional SLP upgrade options (RPO Y2Y) such as the dual/dual catback and several others. In the later years, I believe all SSs received both RPO codes even if there were no additional SLP options beyond the base SS package.
I don't know what it is, but I just get this annoyed sense when people say "SLP Edition" or whatever reference people make regarding having a SLP SS. That's like saying one has an ASC Trans Am.

That part I bolded in your response is also correct. I confirmed this with "JeffY" at SLP quite some time ago. IIRC, it was MY 2000 when they added Y2Y to all WU8's because people would want to add SLP content at the last minute and that was the only way to do it (meaning if SLP received a built car from Ste. Therese without Y2Y, they couldn't add the options even if the buyer was able to put the request through before SLP sent it back to Ste. Therese).
Old 09-11-2013, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

I checked the SLP Engineering window sticker and it says:

Center Mounted Performance Exhaust .............$1059.00

I have no idea why for the almost 10 years I have owned it I always called it a loudmouth CME.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I don't know what it is, but I just get this annoyed sense when people say "SLP Edition" or whatever reference people make regarding having a SLP SS. That's like saying one has an ASC Trans Am.
My thoughts exactly. This thought that some people seem to have of cars that received optional content above and beyond the base package being a special "SLP Edition" is misleading. SLP and ASC were contracted by GM to do these conversions on every example. So all SSs, WS6s, Firehawks, and Comp T/As are all "SLP or ASC Editions".

Originally Posted by demonspeed
That part I bolded in your response is also correct. I confirmed this with "JeffY" at SLP quite some time ago. IIRC, it was MY 2000 when they added Y2Y to all WU8's because people would want to add SLP content at the last minute and that was the only way to do it (meaning if SLP received a built car from Ste. Therese without Y2Y, they couldn't add the options even if the buyer was able to put the request through before SLP sent it back to Ste. Therese).
Very good information. I never new the reasoning behind it, and I wasn't sure if it happened in 2000 or 2001.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:53 AM
TECH Junkie

My thoughts exactly. This thought that some people seem to have of cars that received optional content above and beyond the base package being a special "SLP Edition" is misleading. SLP and ASC were contracted by GM to do these conversions on every example. So all SSs, WS6s, Firehawks, and Comp T/As are all "SLP or ASC Editions".
I see what you're saying, but, there was in fact "optional" content for the SS and WS6 cars from SLP. For instance, the blackwing air intake on LS1 cars, bilstein shocks, or the CME Exhaust Tip.

I believe the 96 Camaro SS cars even had suspension "levels" or "series" that were optional iirc.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:51 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I see what you're saying, but, there was in fact "optional" content for the SS and WS6 cars from SLP. For instance, the blackwing air intake on LS1 cars, bilstein shocks, or the CME Exhaust Tip.

I believe the 96 Camaro SS cars even had suspension "levels" or "series" that were optional iirc.
That's right, and there were names for some of those groups of additional options (such as the suspension "levels" that you mentioned for the LT1 cars, or "345hp package" for the Blackwing/dual-dual cars in 2002, etc.), but since every SS was converted by SLP, regardless of optional content above and beyond the base WU8 package, they are all "SLP Editions" even if they have no Y2Y options at all.

In other words, it's not correct to assume that there was a "GM SS" and an "SLP SS", which is what I think some people assume when they mention things like "SLP Edition".

Also, it's not correct to group the LS1 WS6 cars into that statement, since they were not converted by SLP (but rather ASC) and there was no optional additional content for an LS1 WS6 beyond the base package.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

FWIW here is a list of the Std. SS features for 2002 and the options offered by SLP Engineering.

SLP ENGINEERING OPTIONS FOR 2002 CAMARO SS

Camaro Z28 Coupe, 1FP87; or Camaro Z28 Convertible, 1FP67 model must be ordered.

Chevrolet Regular Production Option (RPO) WU8 must be added to the order.

Camaro SS is only available in Arctic White, 10U; Light Pewter Metallic, 11U; Silver Metallic, 13U; Navy Blue Metallic, 28U; Onyx Black, 41U; Sunset Orange Metallic, 71U; and Bright Rally Red, 81U.

Camaro SS cannot be ordered with the following Chevrolet options:
PW7, Polished Aluminum Wheels or any optional tire. However, Camaro SS is available with optional SLP 17"x 9" chrome-plated, five-spoke, ZR1 style, aluminum wheels or 17"x 9" chrome-plated version of the standard SS ten-spoke style wheels.

STANDARD CAMARO SS CONTENT (Requires GM Option Code WU8)

325 horsepower V8 engine (approximately 09-01-01, the new-for-2002 optional SLP Performance Package will boost powertrain output by 20 hp, for 345 total hp*, 335 hp is also available as an SLP option)

Composite hood with functional air scoop

SS specific rear deck spoiler

Forced-air induction system

Dual outlet exhaust system

Special High Performance Ride & Handling Suspension

17"x 9" lightweight, aluminum painted wheels

275/40/ZR17 Goodyear Eagle F1 tires

Zexel-Torsen Differential

Power Steering Cooler

Camaro SS exterior graphics

Based on Camaro Z28 Coupe, 1FP87; and Camaro Z28 Convertible, 1FP67 models only

* For customers who receive their 2002 Camaro SS prior to the 09/01/01 introduction of the new components and are interested in the Performance Package, send your Name, Address and Camaro SS GM order number, as well as your Email address tokroeder@slpeng.com. We will contact you regarding the availability and pricing for ordering the new System.

OPTIONAL SLP CAMARO SS CONTENT

All-New Twenty Horsepower Performance Package (available approximately 09/01/01) $1359. 00 /C$1929.00 w/center mount exhaust, $999. 00 /C$1399.00 w/dual-dual exhaust.
GM's potent LS1 V8 engine in combination with SLP's new Performance Package, which features High Flow Induction System and either of our two proven, optional exhaust systems, produces 345 horsepower. Available on all SS models, including anniversary edition.

Camaro SS Front Grille $249.00 /C$349.00
Front Grille insert with SS center logo. (n/a on 35th Anniversary models)

17" x 9" Chrome-Plated, Ten-Spoke Style, Aluminum Wheels $999.00 /C$1399.00
SLP offers a chrome version of the Camaro SS wheel. The wheel center-cap design features your choice of the SS or Chevrolet Bowite logo. (n/a on 35th Anniversary models)

BF Goodrich g-Force 275/40ZR 17" Tires $899.00 /C$1259.00
Under optimum conditions, g-Force tires can improve 1/4 mile acceleration times.

Center Mounted Performance Exhaust System (335 Horsepower) $1059.00 /C$1499.00
SLP offers a center mounted 335 horsepower exhaust system to give your Camaro SS a distinctive look. This system also includes flush body mount rear fascia extensions and distinctive center dual tips with polished edge. (available on anniversary models)

Custom Rear Deck Mat with embroidered Camaro SS Logo $99.00 /C$139.00
This all-new Custom Rear Deck Mat enhances the appearance of the shelf area behind the rear seat in your Camaro SS. The aggressive nubs hold the mat firmly in place. (n/a on 35th Anniversary models)

Commemorative Portfolio $59.00 /C$89.00
This Commemorative Portfolio is designed to hold your GM owners manual and the supplemental SLP owner's manual. Includes an SLP engraved pen, notepad, tire tread depth gauge, a customized "Certificate of Authenticity". (The customized package will be shipped by SLP to the customer after the customer completes and returns an information form included in the portfolio.)

Bilstein Ultra Performance Suspension System $1099.00 /C$1529.00
Offers handling that, according to Car and Driver magazine, "…works smarter, not harder…We're hard pressed to think a car that rides better on 17-inch tires…" Motor Trend magazine added this assessment, "Handling? How about .91g on the skidpad?…" (Available on all models; n/a with 1LE Suspension Package)

1LE Suspension Package $1899.00 /C$2699.00
This performance suspension system, offered exclusively by SLP, includes double adjustable Koni Shocks. Recommended for competition driving. (n/a on convertible or with Bilstein Suspension Package)

Auburn High Torque, Performance Differential w/AAM cast aluminum cooling cover $899.00 /C$1259.00
Combination of leading edge Auburn Gear and American Axle Manufacturing technology enhances traction and helps reduce differential operating temperatures under certain driving conditions. System detects variance in the gripping force of each rear tire and redistributes the engine load as road conditions change, thereby enhancing vehicle handling.

17" x 9" Chrome-Plated, ZR1 Style, Five-Spoke Aluminum Wheels $999.00 /C$1399.00
SLP offers a chrome-plated wheel for 2001 that includes a 3-year/36,000 mile limited warranty on the chrome finish. Wheel center-cap design features SS or Chevrolet Bowite logo. (n/a on 35th Anniversary models)

Performance Exhaust System with Dual-Dual Outlets (335 Horsepower) $699.00 /C$989.00
Stainless steel system features dual outlets with two exhaust tips on each side, which provides the authoritative "exhaust note" and aggressive profile enthusiasts want. A freer-flowing muffler and associated hardware, combined with proprietary SLP technology, help increase engine output to 335 horsepower. (available on anniversary models)

Premium Front Floor Mats with embroidered Camaro SS logo $99.00 /C$139.00
Heavy-duty, custom fitted carpeting with aggressive nubs to hold mats firmly in place. (35th anniversary models receive 35th embroidered Mats)

Custom Car Cover with silk-screened Camaro SS graphics $159.00 /C$229.00
Premium grade, breathable, water-resistant fabric. Provides protection from the elements for today's hottest collectible car. Includes: cable, lock and tote bag with silk-screened Camaro SS graphics. (35th anniversary models receive 35th silk-screened cover)

(Two) Camaro SS Key Fobs and (One) Dash Plaque $49.00 /C$69.00
For that final touch of distinction, SLP offers a high quality set of key fobs and an attractive Camaro SS plaque. (Dash plaques not mounted, but placed in accessories box.)

PRODUCTION SPECIFICS
SLP produces the Camaro SS at its Montreal assembly facility, which is 20 minutes away from GM's Ste. Therese F-Car assembly plant. The process is simple: GM ships vehicles scheduled for alteration to SLP for that work. Following alteration, Camaro SS's are returned to GM's Ste. Therese assembly plant and subsequently shipped by GM carriers to Chevrolet dealerships.

WHAT ABOUT FINANCING AND WARRANTY COVERAGE?
Retail financing and leasing are available through GMAC. SLP's 3-year/36,000-mile limited warranty covers content provided by SLP. The balance of the vehicle, which is not affected by specific SLP content, is covered by General Motors's limited warranty. See GM limited warranty for details.

For more information on ordering SLP options on the 2002 Camaro SS, contact SLP's Customer and Dealer Assistance Center at 1-248-288-3066, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday, or via fax at 1-248-288-3176.

Remember, in order for SLP options to be added to your Camaro SS, the dealer must submit a Sales Agreement for the options prior to your vehicle being assigned a vehicle identification number (VIN) by General Motors, no exceptions. SLP's website address is www.slpeng.com.

Last edited by 2002ss335; 09-12-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

That's right, and there were names for some of those groups of additional options (such as the suspension "levels" that you mentioned for the LT1 cars, or "345hp package" for the Blackwing/dual-dual cars in 2002, etc.), but since every SS was converted by SLP, regardless of optional content above and beyond the base WU8 package, they are all "SLP Editions" even if they have no Y2Y options at all.

In other words, it's not correct to assume that there was a "GM SS" and an "SLP SS", which is what I think some people assume when they mention things like "SLP Edition".

Also, it's not correct to group the LS1 WS6 cars into that statement, since they were not converted by SLP (but rather ASC) and there was no optional additional content for an LS1 WS6 beyond the base package.
Agreed on the names/levels. Also, I knew that's what you were getting at with the "SLP edition" thing an I agree as well.

Also, I should have been more clear, I know the LS1 ws6 cars were done by ASC. I'm not sure if the SLP Ws6's (LT1 cars) were available with optional content like the Camaro's suspension. I know the firehawk cars had some options, but uncertain on the 96-97 WS6 cars.

Also, The SLP Comp T/A cars had optional sport suspension on the automatic cars (though standard on the manual cars), and had an R1 tire compound option as well on all cars.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed on the names/levels. Also, I knew that's what you were getting at with the "SLP edition" thing an I agree as well.

Also, I should have been more clear, I know the LS1 ws6 cars were done by ASC. I'm not sure if the SLP Ws6's (LT1 cars) were available with optional content like the Camaro's suspension. I know the firehawk cars had some options, but uncertain on the 96-97 WS6 cars.

Also, The SLP Comp T/A cars had optional sport suspension on the automatic cars (though standard on the manual cars), and had an R1 tire compound option as well on all cars.
I would only like to add, that in the op's defense, clarifying that its a "slp ss" in some circles simply means it is a genuine ss Camaro, not a clone. a lot of people out there unfortunately sell an ss Camaro, not telling the unaware buyers that its not a slpss, its a "jim-bob's ss"

Quick Reply: Which SLP exhaust is on my 2000 SS camaro