LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My 383 rwhp estimate?

Old 09-11-2013, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 383 rwhp estimate?

Im currently putting my engine back together. Im really excited to know my hp before I take it to the dyno shop. Here are my list of mods: Pacesetter LT's, 3" exhaust, CC280XFI, TFS195cc ported heads, cc1.6 rr, beehive valve springs, bored .030 over, scat forged crank, scat 6" H-beam rods, mahle dished -16cc pistons. Obviously this is before a tune. I tried to get quality parts (even though I know I should have went with AFR heads! )and taking you guys in this forums advice. Let me know in your honest opinion what would you have done differently to squeeze out more hp? IM not an expert but I think I did adequate enough research! Thanks for your input!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The low compression heads are going to kill your horsepower. Why did you choose the parts you did? With a .028" head gasket and .020" in the hole your compression is down around 9.5:1. That is HORRID for N/A, unless you are planning boost?

I would have gone with a flat top piston, reputable mail-order tune, reputable ported stock castings by AI and a custom grind cam. Assuming a good tune you could reasonably expect 420+whp (my combo puts down 450+whp and uses those parts). In current trim though I would guess you'd be somewhere around the 340-360whp range.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
The low compression heads are going to kill your horsepower. Why did you choose the parts you did? With a .028" head gasket and .020" in the hole your compression is down around 9.5:1. That is HORRID for N/A, unless you are planning boost?
My machinist suggested to go dish because of the drivability on the street. He also said those pistons to keep from burning race fuel. With 55cc heads we sat their and did the math. We came up with around 10:4 cr with those pistons and 9cc head gaskets. I wanted to be around 11 cr but he said I would need race fuel. If my cr is in the 9s, Then I need to return the pistons like TODAY! I wanted flat top pistons initially anyway. Should have went with my first mind!!!! F*******!
Old 09-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by SwampWS6
My machinist suggested to go dish because of the drivability on the street. He also said those pistons to keep from burning race fuel. With 55cc heads we sat their and did the math. We came up with around 10:4 cr with those pistons and 9cc head gaskets. I wanted to be around 11 cr but he said I would need race fuel. If my cr is in the 9s, Then I need to return the pistons like TODAY! I wanted flat top pistons initially anyway. Should have went with my first mind!!!! F*******!
In other words, he had no idea about the LT1 reverse cooling and knock sensor features. The math is wrong somewhere. I am running 58cc combustion chambers, .040 gasket, zero decked block, -12cc pistons and I'm at 11.0:1 with a 396. Sorry to say, but your compression is going to kill any potential power you have.
This is why it is so important to do research into machine shops before giving them a block.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
In other words, he had no idea about the LT1 reverse cooling and knock sensor features. The math is wrong somewhere. I am running 58cc combustion chambers, .040 gasket, zero decked block, -12cc pistons and I'm at 11.0:1 with a 396. Sorry to say, but your compression is going to kill any potential power you have.
This is why it is so important to do research into machine shops before giving them a block.
I mean the guy has built a decent amount of promod big cube engines. He is the best around the area. I guess???? LOL! But which piston would you suggest if you could help me out to keep from burning race fuel. I just want to be able to run premium. This is the info that I really need to know! I have a zero decked block!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ran a flat top piston. My 355 is 12.1 and i ran pump gas.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Veteran

I mean the guy has built a decent amount of promod big cube engines. He is the best around the area. I guess???? LOL! But which piston would you suggest if you could help me out to keep from burning race fuel. I just want to be able to run premium. This is the info that I really need to know! I have a zero decked block!
There is a big difference between a promod BBC and an LT1.

Get the fear of needing race gas out of your head - LT1s cool the cylinder head before the block unlike standard SBCs, so can run a lot more compression. Bone stock CR is ~10.4:1 - quite a bit higher then what you have. With the proper tune people are running 12.5:1 on plain old 93 pump gas. I would shoot for between 11.5:1 and 12:1 for an NA build just to leave some room for error in tuning if you are using a mail order tuner. If you know your tuner is good, 12.5:1 is OK.

I would look at flat top pistons with 5cc valve notches like the SRPs.

If it was an old iron headed ~8.5:1 SBC, then the machinist would be valid in his concern. Tell him you want flat tops and at least 11.5:1 CR, and if he still is hesitant or makes a big deal out of it then go somewhere else.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know you said you did your research but it is painfully obvious that you looked in all the wrong places.

The STOCK LT1 is 10.5:1 compression and you are MUCH lower than that. Your machinist I am sure is good but it is obvious he has never built a (quality) LT1 before. Performance LT1s run well over 11:1 compression (mine is just over 12.5:1) and run on 93 octane just fine. Reverse flow heads allow MUCH more advance and permit higher compression without detonation. A good cooling system and a good tune are all you really need to keep detonation in check. Realistically you should have gone with a different just-about-everything.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I mean the guy has built a decent amount of promod big cube engines.
That means nothing in the LT1 world. I can't count the number of lackluster LTx motors I've seen that were built by someone who "really knew their stuff" or "has been building race motors for 30 years". I'm talking about stroker motors that ran no faster than my stock engine did with nothing more than bolt-ons and a decent cam.

Find a machinist who has a LOT of experience with LT motors, or do your homework on here, spec your own combo, and ignore whatever conventional SBC-rooted advice your machinist tries to sell you on.

A hot NA pump gas LTx has a compression ratio of 11.5 or higher.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Swamp, who did you take it to? Someone in the STL area I'm guessing?
Old 09-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Launching!

I would also be interested in knowing the machine shop/build doing the work.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Got another 12 to 1 NA running on pump gas here. My machinist was hesitant about it as well but it runs just fine.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Most heads/cam setups on a stock shortblock are 11.2 or so.

In the first post it sounds like you want to to run it BEFORE tuning it?

Obviously this is before a tune.

Don't even start it without a mailorder tune, about the best case scenario for starting a built stroker on stock tune is glazing the cylinders and never having the rings seal right, worst case you can ruin the engine before it leaves the garage.

As was already said you did research but found a lot of BAD info unfortunately this sort of thing is real common
Old 09-11-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DeltaElite121
Swamp, who did you take it to? Someone in the STL area I'm guessing?
Gary Duckworth Race Engines in Maryville IL, 4 or 5 miles from Gateway Motorsports.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Quack quack quack Mr. Ducksworth!

/Emilio Estevez
Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transbird95
My machinist was hesitant about it as well but it runs just fine.
I guess this is why he suggested pistons that gave me extremely low CR. I was planning on building a turbo platform, but the way things seem now is that's the specs my machinist gave me. Now im to the point where I want challenge his knowledge. . . . . . . The only way I see the reason for the 16cc dished pistons is because of the 55cc of the heads. SMH . . . . feel like im screwed now. I guess im learning; the expensive way!
Old 09-11-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Quack quack quack Mr. Ducksworth!

/Emilio Estevez
LOL! Now ur just making it worst!
Old 09-11-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep the current setup then buy a used ProCharger D1SC supercharger or put a turbo on it and make some power.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 97Z28SS
Keep the current setup then buy a used ProCharger D1SC supercharger or put a turbo on it and make some power.
Im actually getting a Percision 76mm for my wedding gift from my fiancé. Coincidence my machinist screwed me so I can add the turbo. . . . LOL!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes LTx can push over 12.x:1 on pump gas.

The only way you will make power now is as stated with a turbo or a supercharger.

I'm going to guess that without it you're going to be around a mild bolt on stock engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 383 rwhp estimate?