Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

C5 turbo kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 turbo kits

Anyone have any experience or recommend a good turbo kit for a C5???? I had a PTK and was disappointed. I had several issues with it. I'm looking at TTi and Lingenfelter kits. I'm looking to make 800ish at the wheels
Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Launching!

TTiX all the way. Most popular c5 kit out there for a good reason.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats the issue with the ptk? we just did one (well found a used new kit) in my buddies car with agp zeta 3.2 turbo's on it and the thing is flat out retarded lol.
had a few fitment and cooling issues but so far it's pretty damn impressive
Old 09-12-2013, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What was issue with PTK setup?

I have an original kit on my car, works like a champ. Can't figure out why it's designed to brake driveline parts though?

Weird.

The PTK kit isn't for everyone. If you want 800-2000hp, ptk is for you. It requires relocation of coolant tank, and windshield washer fluid reservoir. Also, lots of heat shielding, as it gets toasty without ventilation

If your looking for a great kit, that is simple, and pretty much invisible, TTiX is the way to go for a high end, classy 600rwhp-1200rwhp setup.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

I had issues with fit on alot of it. The alt was junk and the bracket they sent me was junk also. Not sure how many belts I've thrown. No provision to relocate the ABS and it generated a ton of underhood heat with a vented hood. It made tons of power and retarded torque though when it was on the road which was never very long. And I did break alot of parts. It probably didn't help that I had a bunch of shops that did half-assed work and took my money.......
Old 09-12-2013, 04:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by james1098
I had issues with fit on alot of it. The alt was junk and the bracket they sent me was junk also. Not sure how many belts I've thrown. No provision to relocate the ABS and it generated a ton of underhood heat with a vented hood. It made tons of power and retarded torque though when it was on the road which was never very long. And I did break alot of parts. It probably didn't help that I had a bunch of shops that did half-assed work and took my money.......
Yeah, PTK is not for the faint of heart, and does not fit the needs of most traditional 'Vette guys', but once you put the effort in to make it right, you have a bad *** TT kit
Old 09-12-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wish you lived closer bro.

Sounds like typical PTK issues at first..once bugs are worked out, which takes a bit,..it's a beautiful thing.

Ultimately, that kit,..takes a passionate technician working on it....someone that either knows the system well, has the patience for it...etc. Again, wish you lived closer.

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Yeah, PTK is not for the faint of heart, and does not fit the needs of most traditional 'Vette guys', but once you put the effort in to make it right, you have a bad *** TT kit
^^This.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Staging Lane

The 5th shop that I took the car to (still there) told me that they could fix all the issues with it in about a month. That was 11 months ago. They then said that they could not make it work. I was better off putting g a blower on it..... That's after I got a bill for around 7k for supposedly fixing other "things" that the previous shops left me with. This coming from a shop that builds alot of street cars and a 6 sec 200+ MPH ZO6. They contact me about 1 time for every 6 times i try to call them. Each time I talk to a different person and each time the bill increases. Needless to say, I'm far more than a little frustrated with everything..... So I sold the kit for hardly nothing and I'm looking at doing something else.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The 5th shop that I took the car to (still there) told me that they could fix all the issues with it in about a month. That was 11 months ago. They then said that they could not make it work. I was better off putting g a blower on it..... That's after I got a bill for around 7k for supposedly fixing other "things" that the previous shops left me with. This coming from a shop that builds alot of street cars and a 6 sec 200+ MPH ZO6. They contact me about 1 time for every 6 times i try to call them. Each time I talk to a different person and each time the bill increases. Needless to say, I'm far more than a little frustrated with everything..... So I sold the kit for hardly nothing and I'm looking at doing something else.
Thats brutal.

V-Series Tech is not a shop, but a dude who worked at a GM dealership and has a passion for all things LS powered, with C5/C6 being his preferred platform.
Since he drives a C5, and works on several for other locals, he knows them in and out. He ran into each and every possible issue you may have seen, plus all the ones you would have runinto in the future, but he managed to over come all of them, rather simply.
if it would have cost him $1000s to make it right, it would have been scrapped day one

its a shame others can;t see things the same way....
Old 09-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

I wish that I could find someone with even a little passion for building cars around here. All anyone seems to have a passion for is taking your money. They can bolt on a set of headers or a cai and that's about it. All kinds big promises and no results. And no communication at all.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Does anyone have experience with 417 Motorsports's TT setup? I'm looking at either going that route, or going TTiX. I've read a ton of reviews on the TTiX, but hardly anything on 417 Motorsports's TT.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

truth right there
I"ve been working on my friends setup for about 2 months ironing it out now. everything is wrapped now, has a vented cf hood, and had to heat shield the bottom of the hood. Working on a new radiator shroud and some ducting due to the car running pretty hot on the road. just messing around at 8psi and 10 degrees timing with a 10.5:1 afr the car is already an animal.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by black06g85
truth right there
I"ve been working on my friends setup for about 2 months ironing it out now. everything is wrapped now, has a vented cf hood, and had to heat shield the bottom of the hood. Working on a new radiator shroud and some ducting due to the car running pretty hot on the road. just messing around at 8psi and 10 degrees timing with a 10.5:1 afr the car is already an animal.
I ran a stock radiator(still do) on my PTK car for a long time now...temp NEVER goes above 187 in South Florida. I have an aftermarket radiator, just never needed it. One day, lol. I do, have the front license plate opened up. Post up some pics/vid on the beast when you get a chance.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Will do just gotta get an ok from my buddy first. And no front plate its op3n with some mesh. Doing some ductwork through the bumper support and a new shroud to block in the rad. With the vented hood he has I think air is just passing upbover the rad and not through it. Its laid backbquite a bit.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ysb02
TTiX all the way. Most popular c5 kit out there for a good reason.
x2 TTiX all the way
Old 09-19-2013, 10:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Will do just gotta get an ok from my buddy first. And no front plate its op3n with some mesh. Doing some ductwork through the bumper support and a new shroud to block in the rad. With the vented hood he has I think air is just passing upbover the rad and not through it. Its laid backbquite a bit.
v-series did some rather extensive hood mods to get a decent amount of airflow and heat extraction.

A pair of NACA ducts are mounted right in front of the turbos, and he also added a pair of extractor vents toward the windshield, look around, there are quite a few pics of the car on this forum (maybe even in his sig?)
Old 09-19-2013, 03:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is an old pic of when I first did the kit.....notice the angle/height of the factory radiator to the frame rail.

I haven't done ANY frame rail mods YET....but, next time the front bumper comes off,..which takes a few minutes, I am gonna probably cut out the big rectangular frame rail and size it down to some round bar for better cooling, and better airflow. Even though my coolant temps and IAT's are awesome.

Big front mount...still allows airflow...

Then, I cut out the support(blue bar) and moved it six inches towards the front of the car.....this raked the top of the radiator back, ....which allows my turbos to sit as is. The car is procharged in that pic but, same concept.

v-series did some rather extensive hood mods to get a decent amount of airflow and heat extraction.

A pair of NACA ducts are mounted right in front of the turbos, and he also added a pair of extractor vents toward the windshield, look around, there are quite a few pics of the car on this forum (maybe even in his sig?)

Word.

he NACA ducts I originally thought up just to feed the turbos directly with some fresh air. I am SURE that helps in getting rid of stale air sitting/hovering so,..it has cooling properties as well I believe. The NEW extractors, I have recently added,...I do not know for sure how well it helps as I have not had the car out long enough with it to test. Soon though... anywho, stock hood, modified.

187degrees stock radiator. No frame mods other then front cradle.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

nice pics blocked at work, but will check on laptop at work.
and yeah we were going to do some 4" holes through the bumper (5 total) one to each turbo with ducting, the the others for the radiator. Adding a shroud over the rad. HE has a nice cf vented hood on the car already (we cut out the cowl block off already) 5 vents in the front, and 4 over each wastegate. Been getting better, but the rad just isn't getting airflow as of right now.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

this is how it sits now, trying to find a pic of the hood he has on there
Old 09-20-2013, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

nice pics blocked at work, but will check on laptop at work.
and yeah we were going to do some 4" holes through the bumper (5 total) one to each turbo with ducting, the the others for the radiator. Adding a shroud over the rad. HE has a nice cf vented hood on the car already (we cut out the cowl block off already) 5 vents in the front, and 4 over each wastegate. Been getting better, but the rad just isn't getting airflow as of right now.

word.

this is how it sits now, trying to find a pic of the hood he has on there

Nice, looks familiar.

Quick Reply: C5 turbo kits