LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Checking to see if my OTVC wires are set up right and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Checking to see if my OTVC wires are set up right and other questions

After some shady work from past mechanics, I recently started doing my own work on my cars, so I apologize if these seem like newb questions.

Biggest question, does this look right? These are the CCPerformance OTVC MSD wires. I only have the driver side done.

Is it okay if the boot is off to the side a little bit? Does it look like anything would burn?

I also finished doing an AIR delete. Is there a list of plug sizes somewhere to plug all the vacuum lines up? A previous mechanic (one who installed the headers) simply welded the AIR line shut and kept the pump and other vacuum lines intact.

Any advice on doing the drivers side wires? It looks to me like I have to remove the power steering pump, but I'm told I don't have to? Would I have to bleed the power steering lines if I removed the power steering pump?

Last edited by Epro; 09-11-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

passenger* they are a little harder to route but if you are cutting yourself for lengths then you should be able to do it pretty easy. driver side looks great.

if you removed the air pump why not remove all the vacuum and pump lines?
Old 09-11-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Camaro350Z28
passenger* they are a little harder to route but if you are cutting yourself for lengths then you should be able to do it pretty easy. driver side looks great.

if you removed the air pump why not remove all the vacuum and pump lines?
Opps, I'll edit that now. I actually bought these pre-cut.

The lines and pump are removed. I need to plug places where the hoses would go (air intake, etc)
Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did the passenger side today, connecting them to the opti tomorrow. Hoping the power steering pump doesn't get in the way. I disconnected it but left the lines attached (didn't have the right wrench to get the metal line off)

Two of my old wires in the factory locations melted together on the passenger side, explains my misfire/stuttering. I hope it solves my no-start in the rain issue

Hoping to get the car back on the road tomorrow!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:30 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Epro
Loosen the VC bolts holding the looms and straighten them out, then tighten them back up. Loosen all three looms and straighten the plug wires on 6 and 8. Tighten the rear most loom. Pull more wire through the front and middle loom for #4 and angle the boot towards the front. This will give the wire enough contour so it will clear the primary. #2 looks fine.
Good luck with this style loom. For some reason both VC's started leaking badly after I used these. I took them off in favor of the moroso wire loom kit:
Old 09-14-2013, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay... I either fucked something up, or my no start in moist conditions was not because of plug wires. The garage I work in has a leak in the roof, floor is covered in water. So moisture is definitely there.

I had two wires melted together on the passenger side (A previous mechanic wrapped them together) I figured this was the cause of my no-start condition... anyway.

I have the throttle body completely open (no intake elbow attached) and the AIR system isn't blocked off yet, I would hope the car would at least start? Doesn't sound like it's getting any spark, when I let off the key, it tries to continue to run.

Anything I should check?
Old 09-14-2013, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Loosen the VC bolts holding the looms and straighten them out, then tighten them back up. Loosen all three looms and straighten the plug wires on 6 and 8. Tighten the rear most loom. Pull more wire through the front and middle loom for #4 and angle the boot towards the front. This will give the wire enough contour so it will clear the primary. #2 looks fine.
Good luck with this style loom. For some reason both VC's started leaking badly after I used these. I took them off in favor of the moroso wire loom kit:

Is your advice for aesthetics or could that be why my car isn't starting?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:24 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Is your advice for aesthetics or could that be why my car isn't starting?
Both. Your plug wires being melted together may have something to do with them coming into contact with the primaries.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is my opinion, but put smaller clamps on your primaries, especially on the rear one closest to the fire wall.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Turns out my no-start issue (this particular time) is because I'm a noob and didn't fully seat the wires on the distributor. I pushed them down, and while it had a hard time starting, it seemed to idle quite nicely (Hard start might be because I have no intake elbow on the car and the AIR isn't plugged off yet.)

Quick Reply: Checking to see if my OTVC wires are set up right and other questions