Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Detroit Locker with an A4

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detroit Locker with an A4

Does anybody have bad expierences with the locker in an A4 car? It seems a lot of the hatred towards the locker stems from having a manual trans but have not found any posts with someone bashing the locker with an auto. Im looking at a rear with a locker in it on another forum board which is why I ask? dont want to bother with it if its going to be a real pita in an auto.Thanks to anyone in advance
Old 09-12-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine ran fine, I had the original Detroit Locker in my 9 inch, was pretty quiet.

Every once in a while it would wiggle in the rear from a stop to find its lock in, otherwise was fine. Dont plan on corner carving with it, it's not for that.

When the car was a stick it was obnoxious.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I want to know as well, but with a S60. Been told that the locker for the S60 is different from the locker for the 9"
Old 09-13-2013, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrpimp00
I want to know as well, but with a S60. Been told that the locker for the S60 is different from the locker for the 9"
Im running a S60 with locker and it honestly feel like a stock rearend. It is super quite and I never really notice the locker. Sometimes from a stop sign you can feel it lock but you kind of have to be waiting to feel it to notice. Overall I've been extremely happy with the S60, its nice being able to hit the nitrous and not have to worry about a 10bolt breaking. If you have any specific ?s let me know or contact Carl @ CRP, I ordered my S60 through him and he answered tons of my ?s before I made my purchase.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OnlyACamaroCanbeAZ28
Does anybody have bad expierences with the locker in an A4 car? It seems a lot of the hatred towards the locker stems from having a manual trans but have not found any posts with someone bashing the locker with an auto. Im looking at a rear with a locker in it on another forum board which is why I ask? dont want to bother with it if its going to be a real pita in an auto.Thanks to anyone in advance
What kind of rearend are you looking at? I love my S60 with a locker, i've had several of my fbody friends ride in my car and they couldn't tell it had a locker.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a locker in my car. I have had it both with the M6 and now with the TH350. I actually notice it more with the Th350 turning into my driveway or parking spots it will clunk. Never really did it with the M6. I think the TH350 always had a little pressure being put in the locker where as in a M6 you can have the clutch pressed in so its acting like its in neutral. Just my .02
Old 09-13-2013, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
What kind of rearend are you looking at? I love my S60 with a locker, i've had several of my fbody friends ride in my car and they couldn't tell it had a locker.
Im looking at a moser 9"
Old 09-13-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

There are at least two types of Detroit Locker, the old style like I had and a "Soft Locker".
Old 09-13-2013, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
There are at least two types of Detroit Locker, the old style like I had and a "Soft Locker".
how can i tell the difference if the rear is already out of the car? I dont think the differential is but maybe 3 years old at most so any idea when this changeover occured?
Old 09-13-2013, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OnlyACamaroCanbeAZ28
how can i tell the difference if the rear is already out of the car? I dont think the differential is but maybe 3 years old at most so any idea when this changeover occured?
I have no idea, I thought they offered both styles of locker

The original locker is pretty rough on the street with a stick car, I think this is why they offer(ed) the soft locker, not near as much beating and banging going on back there.

WHen I first put mine in I swore it was broke, but it wasn't.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Maverick has an ex-NASCAR locker in it (Ford 9") with a 200R4. This race-type is locked solid to the left axle and only the right axle will release, which makes for some white-knuckle right turns. You get a huge BANG and the car jumps sideways when it unlocks besides the constant clicking on turns...

Quick Reply: Detroit Locker with an A4