LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Code 42 Give me some insight...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code 42 Give me some insight...

Fellas,
I have a intermittent code 42 on my 1994 lt1. This is the only code present on multiple scans. My engine runs well no bad missing or stumbles. The SES will come on and off. Initially it only happened when the car was in stop and go traffic getting hot, when i would get moving it would flash off. It has now progressed to anytime the car is idling, if I keep the RPMs above 1200 the light will turn off in 10-15sec.

So far i have replaced the ICM, and coil. I have tested the wires to the ICM and checked and cleaned my chassis ground.

On the wire test my ignition control wire alternates current correctly during cranking and running-this should rule out my opti correct? (it is sending correct signal to ECM and the signal is getting to the ICM-are my thoughts)

ICM ground is good

What yall think? Is it odd that with the raised RPM the SES light goes out? Is this a clue or am I getting distracted by the dummy light? Other suggestions?
Old 09-16-2013, 01:28 AM
Staging Lane

Well, I will give a little update. I checked all my connections at the ecm, and made sure they were solid.(did the wire tuck mod this past weekend, did have code 42 before that mod though). Anyway no more code flashing at all for the last 4 drives...drives good, no isssues...fingers crossed that it was a bad connection
Old 09-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Ok so no more codes or issues...UNTIL car stops in middle of road. I mean dead. won't turn over. no SES...

OPTI?!! I am thinking so.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try this for your OBD I vehicle.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...e-42-argh.html

Quick Reply: Code 42 Give me some insight...