Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Newbie! Engine monitoring parameters

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie! Engine monitoring parameters

Hey guys, newbie here. I've been learning about diesels for years on other forums and enjoy servicing my diesel truck. I never had a descent enough car to really get into the forums about, but I look forward to learning what I can on here. I used to have an older style CTS-V with an LS-6 and that car was a hoot, that was some time ago.

I'm going to do my own research and I will go through old posts, but my immediate question is about an high end offroad car I just got. It's got a CBM built LS3. The dash panel has autometer gauges to monitor everything, but I need to know what parameters are. There is no alert for high temps. What is max acceptable coolant temp? Oil temp? RPM? Oil pressure? I could not find a sticky on those items.

Also, any known issues or anything I should know about the LS3? It was purchased new as a crate engine then sent to CBM in late 10, it just got a full top and bottom rebuild by CBM a few months ago. This car will be in the hottest of desert climates, should I run 5-30 mobile or bump it up to thicker?

Any type of best oil filter or oil? Just the important things a newbie needs to know? Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you are enjoying your engine! Max coolant temp should be 230 (limp mode kicks in). We like to see oil temps below 270. Your rev limiter should be set at 6700. Oil pressure should be no less then 25psi at idle. I would say run 10w-30 oil but not synthetic because the engine is still pretty new. Stick with the GM oil filter. Change your oil often and your engine should have a worry free life. Enjoy it!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:12 PM

Thanks sir! I'm going send you a PM with previous owner info, maybe you can tell me more about this LS3

Quick Reply: Newbie! Engine monitoring parameters