Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1: Scratched cylinder wall, chewed piston top, and water? HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1: Scratched cylinder wall, chewed piston top, and water? HELP!!!

Hey guys, so I bought this complete LS1 radiator to the 4L60E trans. The guys said he takes wrecked cars and just parts them out. He delivered it to me and show me the oil and trans fluid and looking at it, it didnt look bad at all. Well I finally got down to taking the valve covers and heads off to swap LS6 parts onto it and came across a few things. He told me it had 70k miles or so and ran great when pulled (of course). I also looked up the engine and its from a 98 T/A or Camaro.

1. I believe cylinder 7, but the top of the piston is slightly chewed, does this mean it threw a rod? Can I still use this piston without any issues?

2. The same cylinder that had the chewed up piston seems to have scratches on the walls that I can catch my finger nail on. Im guessing some small metal piece chipped off and scratched the walls. What does this mean for my block?

3. There was water in a couple cylinders which was orange so I was thinking it could have been rusty but after cleaning the cylinders they dont seem rusted. Does this mean blown head gasket?

So how can I remediate and resolve these issues without having to buy another block or anything major? SUPER LOW BUDGET! I will post more pics later today when I get home to show the cleaned pistons and walls so its clear but here are some pics.

LS1: Scratched cylinder wall, chewed piston top, and water? HELP!!!-img_4393.jpg
Old 09-18-2013, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some pics didnt load, ill try again.... here we go...

Last edited by swandude805; 09-18-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Super low budget went out the door when you discovered that mangled piston...it's probably gonna need complete rebuild as it looks like it wasr taken care of...and if you threw a rod there would be hole in the block...you need all new bearings, hone job, and pistons...good luck man
Old 09-18-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Return it !... something was dropped or made its way into that Cylinder and was banging around between the piston and head, take a closer look at the Head / valves for the cylinder.

Possibly a crack in the wall or head from that. if your going to use that block, recommend a complete rebuild with a new piston.

Being a 98 engine.. not the most looked for year... many improvement 99+

just my 2 cents
BC
Old 09-18-2013, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree it looks like something got in the cylinder and got beat around. My guess is the head has similar marks. Water could just be rainwater that leaked into the chamber while the motor was sitting. Doesn't mean anything is cracked and doesn't necessarily mean you need a complete rebuild. Pull the bearing caps and check for rust/damage.

Still, if you can get your money back then try a different motor.

Quick Reply: LS1: Scratched cylinder wall, chewed piston top, and water? HELP!!!