Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inline walbro distance from pickup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inline walbro distance from pickup?

I'm working on installing my modified 65 mustang gas tank, filter (non-vette cuz i'm using the truck intake/regulator), & 355 inline pump using 3/8 line but my concern is the distance from the pickup (back of the tank) to the location of the filter/pump, (front of the tank)

1) The pump/filter is about 6" higher than the lowest part of the gastank or its level with the highest part of the tank.

2) If you add up the distance to go from the back of the tank pick up, around the side of it and around to the front I'm guess 4' total the pump would have to pull fuel before it can push it up to the engine. Will this work? Only reason is I don't have enough room to put this stuff in the back by the pick up.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2013, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I suspect it will work fine with 4 feet of line in front of the pump. My reason is this: In 2001 I built a return fuel system in a Mustang for a friend. When he wired the system he ultimately wired the intank pump wrong, and the intank pump never turned on with ignition or engine on. That car had a Walbro 255 intank and a Walbro 255 inline pusher. The inline pump ran, even though the intank was not, and the 255 inline pulled enough fuel through the non running intank, to make 470-ish rwhp prior to running out of capacity, and effectively shutting the engine off. It took a while to figure out what was wrong with it, but it made a bunch of power pulling through the non running intank pump.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Electric fuel pump do not like to pull fuel they are designed to push fuel. If at all possible you need to be as close as can get to the fuel tank out let. It is also best to be equal to the bottom of the fuel tank or lower.

Is there any room between the tank and the rear roll pan where you could mount the pump?

No offense to usdnholden but because it worked for his friend doesn't mean it will work for you. There are most likely other factors that are not the same.

Even if it does work you are asking you fuel pump to work a lot harder which will shorten the pump life.

Good Luck.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't sound good... I would get it next to or even behind the tank if possible.

Use as large a line as possible to prevent any restriction.

Remember the pump also has to draw against acceleration so this aggravates the condition the faster the car is.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Dang I knew you guys were going to say that lol........ Looks like I'll be finding a way to move it

Thanks though either way!

Quick Reply: Inline walbro distance from pickup?