Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can these heads be ran as is?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can these heads be ran as is?

Hey everyone. I recently picked up a set of 243 heads off e-bay for a great price. The only issues were a broken header bolt and some light damage to one of the intake ports. Do you think that these are ok to run as they sit? The damage looks like it is inside of the gasket area so I don't believe that proper sealing would be a problem. I eventually plan on sending these off to AI for the 226 program but that is at least a year, probably 2 away. I would rather make some use of them now if I can rather than have them sitting on a shelf for a couple years. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Decadence75
Hey everyone. I recently picked up a set of 243 heads off e-bay for a great price. The only issues were a broken header bolt and some light damage to one of the intake ports. Do you think that these are ok to run as they sit? The damage looks like it is inside of the gasket area so I don't believe that proper sealing would be a problem. I eventually plan on sending these off to AI for the 226 program but that is at least a year, probably 2 away. I would rather make some use of them now if I can rather than have them sitting on a shelf for a couple years. Thanks in advance.

So you were the guy who recently bought them off ebay? I would have them looked at by a shop before slapping them on. You will need to redeck them before slapping them in. Good luck man!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ws6man29
So you were the guy who recently bought them off ebay? I would have them looked at by a shop before slapping them on. You will need to redeck them before slapping them in. Good luck man!
What do you mean, "So you were the guy who recently bought them off ebay?"
Old 09-20-2013, 01:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

seems to be fairly well inside the sealing ring...if it were me and I were in a pinch I would probably give them a go with brand new intake gaskets after a light surface job on the engine side of the heads

if it does leak there, pulling the intake and applying some RTV would be a hassle but take care of the issue IMO
Old 09-20-2013, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

What do you mean, "So you were the guy who recently bought them off ebay?"
I seen them on ebay with the same issues and was wanting to know if you were the guy who bought them recently
Old 09-20-2013, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

I seen them on ebay with the same issues and was wanting to know if you were the guy who bought them recently
Ahhh, ok. It looks like I am not the only one. There is someone in the internal section asking about a skull stamp on the heads and he apparently got them from the same place I did. They usually have several sets up on auction with minor defects and give a pretty good price on them.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
seems to be fairly well inside the sealing ring...if it were me and I were in a pinch I would probably give them a go with brand new intake gaskets after a light surface job on the engine side of the heads

if it does leak there, pulling the intake and applying some RTV would be a hassle but take care of the issue IMO
Awesome. I just wanted to make sure there weren't going to be any major issues if used with the damage. like that. I'm sure when they get ported that will be taken care of. Just gotta save up the scratch to send them off.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Awesome. I just wanted to make sure there weren't going to be any major issues if used with the damage. like that. I'm sure when they get ported that will be taken care of. Just gotta save up the scratch to send them off.
What did you end up paying?
Old 09-20-2013, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

What did you end up paying?
$285 + $27.10 shipping
Old 09-20-2013, 02:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

are they sodium valves?

this site isn't a terrible place for deals...I got my 799s from the classifieds for $240 shipped because one had some minor chamber dings from a busted piston and a bent valve

I lapped in a valve from my old heads and did some hand cleanup along with a .010" surface job and they were good as new
Old 09-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

I would just have a shop go over them.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
are they sodium valves?

this site isn't a terrible place for deals...I got my 799s from the classifieds for $240 shipped because one had some minor chamber dings from a busted piston and a bent valve

I lapped in a valve from my old heads and did some hand cleanup along with a .010" surface job and they were good as new
No, no sodium valves unfortunately. They came off a 5.3 motor. This is usually my go to place for trying to find a deal on parts. However everyone was wanting around 400 - 450 + 50 or more for shipping at the time. When I found these it was just too good to pass up.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

a manifold should seal to the heads fine. i would use them. i would clean up any high points first though

Quick Reply: Can these heads be ran as is?