Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Got My Roof Painted, Need Advice. *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Got My Roof Painted, Need Advice. *PICS*

Before anyone says anything; I KNOW THIS WAS NOT A PERMENANT FIX. I bought the car in September of 2007 and the roof was starting to bubble but wasn't too bad. I should of bought a roof when I priced it out then but I figured I'd hold off. Well now the roof is discontinued and 6LE's group buy for a new one didn't go through. I'm not trying to find a hardtop in a junk yard and swap roofs. So about 6 months ago I brought it into my body to get the roof re-sprayed. I really thought the bubbling wouldn't show its ugly face for at least 5-7 years. Less than a week later it was back...

Before:

Yup, that's a smiley face...

After:

I actually think it got worse after the work was done, like we agitated the glue or something. I left it outside for a little the other day and the bubbling was worse then I've ever seen. You couldn't see the glue line on the sail panel before the re-spray and now it's as clear as day. It eventually went down after it cooled off. There has to be some sort of primer, paint, something that can keep this from happening. My body shop manager has been making calls to paint reps trying to see if there's anything out there. How can we put a man on the moon but not be able to keep my roof from bubbling?!

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by Grifter; 10-28-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:42 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Grifter
There has to be some sort of primer, paint, something that can keep this from happening.
There is, but it needs to be applied to the underside of the panel to prevent the glue from directly contacting the panel itself. This is how the older models that don't have this problem are set up; there is a paint barrier between the glue and the panel, so the glue isn't able to seep into the panel (and then be drawn out by the sun) in the first place.

At this point, you can't fix the problem from the top side because the issue lies underneath. The panel is already compromised, and nothing that you do on top is going to change that.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
There is, but it needs to be applied to the underside of the panel to prevent the glue from directly contacting the panel itself. This is how the older models that don't have this problem are set up; there is a paint barrier between the glue and the panel, so the glue isn't able to seep into the panel (and then be drawn out by the sun) in the first place.

At this point, you can't fix the problem from the top side because the issue lies underneath. The panel is already compromised, and nothing that you do on top is going to change that.
So either way the roof needs to come off...*****...
Old 09-22-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That sucks. Does it keep bubbling in the same spot?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLK95-Z
That sucks. Does it keep bubbling in the same spot?
Yup. See those gray lines in that one picture? That's the glue line, it bubbles all along there.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually, i think there may be a way (albeit difficult and probably pretty costly to have someone else do it for you) to fix it from the top.

===============================
step 1 would be to get it sanded, primed, and coated with a couple coats of epoxy sealer that won't allow any more reaction to continue up beyond this coat. this step is just to get to a sealed & smooth starting point

step 2 would be to lightly scuff up the top layer of the epoxy coat, then lay down a layer or 2 of thin fiberglass mat & epoxy resin. this layer would form a structure of sorts (kind of like putting a "helmet" on the roof) to prevent bubbles from being able to push their way through, and since it will be chemically separated from the compromised underlying fiberglass, it won't be eaten up by the glue and suffer the same fate.

step 3 would be to lightly sand & smooth out the top layer of the fiberglass mat layer, then prime/paint/clearcoat
===============================

this way, you would not have to worry about removing anything (twice, once on your car, and once on the donor), and the top would end up being a bit stronger, too

this is just a theory, though....i'm not sure how it would actually end up in practice, and i certainly don't have the money or the time & necessary skills to try to tackle this on my own....but if it does work, it would definitely be a bit more of an accessible fix, not having to rely on availability of a donor car

thoughts?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

The guys in the paint ship were taking about some kind of epoxy primer that could possibly form a barrier between the glue and clear coat to prevent the bubbling.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at my body shop returns are free...did you specifically ASK for spraying only? because it needs body work.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yup. See those gray lines in that one picture? That's the glue line, it bubbles all along there.
Yep I see now. Maybe try skimming the whole roof with fiberglass filler followed by some epoxy primer. Maybe it will last 2 weeks

That sucks man. I'm glad I haven't had any sail panel issues yet
Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

.....I'm glad I haven't had any sail panel issues yet
Going by your sig, you shouldn't. Late 98 through 02 models suffer from this affliction, not early F-Bodies.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:18 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Going by your sig, you shouldn't. Late 98 through 02 models suffer from this affliction, not early F-Bodies.
Correct. No need to worry about this unless you have a very late '98 or a '99+ car. Early and mid-year '98s don't have this problem, and neither do '93-'97.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TechCam97
Correct. No need to worry about this unless you have a very late '98 or a '99+ car. Early and mid-year '98s don't have this problem, and neither do '93-'97.
That's good to know
Old 09-23-2013, 06:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JohnS Z28
at my body shop returns are free...did you specifically ASK for spraying only? because it needs body work.
My shop is connected to the body shop, so I'm friends with all the guys and have been showing/talking to them about doing the body work for years. They knew a roof would fix it but we couldn't find one so they tried to sand it down to bare fiberglass and spray it. I am still in shock as to how fast it came back. We went out about 4 days later to put the windshield trim on and we noticed it starting to bubble again!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

My shop is connected to the body shop, so I'm friends with all the guys and have been showing/talking to them about doing the body work for years. They knew a roof would fix it but we couldn't find one so they tried to sand it down to bare fiberglass and spray it. I am still in shock as to how fast it came back. We went out about 4 days later to put the windshield trim on and we noticed it starting to bubble again!
Yep, there is no fix for this other than getting a new roof. Body shops across the country have been trying for years have tried every combination of paints / sealants / primers / etc in hopes of fixing this and the bubbles always come back. Usually with a vengeance and look way worse than before. If you can have a yard pull a roof skin off of a 93-mid 98 car for you and have your shop put it on you will be much happier. If you can get into a pick and pull type yard with some basic tools and a wire saw you can get it off yourself for much cheaper. I want to say my local pick and pull lets me get them for like $80 a pop. The glue that holds them on can be a pain, but I just leave them in the Texas oven for a while (aka, outside ) and try and pull them around noon so everything is warmed up.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found a bunch of roofs at somewhat local junkyards. I may just do that...
Old 09-29-2013, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright; well first I just wanted thank you guys for all the input. I was kind of hoping maybe someone came up with a magic paint to stop this from happening again but I knew that wouldn't be the case. I did a quick search and found dozens of 4th gens at local salvage yards. So I pulled the trigger on one and picked it up yesterday. It's off of a 94 Camaro and it kills me that it has no bubbles! I cannot believe how bad mine looks and has been garage kept its entire life. As common as this problem is I don't recall seeing much information on roof replacements so I will be updating this thread periodically with pictures and info.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice clip. What did that end up costing if you don't mind me asking?
Old 09-29-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice clip. What did that end up costing if you don't mind me asking?
$300.

All the prices I saw around me were from $250-500.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds very fair. I've personally never replaced a roof on one of these cars Id be interested in seeing it done. Keep us updated
Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope the roof comes off in one piece OK for you.

I bit the bullet and ordered a new 6LE panel for my 99. The bubbles aren't too obvious yet but if you look close there are a million of the buggers following the glue line. A couple came to a small head this year and I know it will only get worse.

I wish I was thinking and had pulled the roof on my old 98 after it was wrecked.

Quick Reply: Got My Roof Painted, Need Advice. *PICS*