Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone did a 4L60E to TH400 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone did a 4L60E to TH400 swap?

What can I use and what cant I use?

Can I use a the stock shifter?

What cross member do I need.

What problems with the PCM?

What drive shaft can i use?

TIA

Rob
Old 05-03-2004, 09:43 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have to get an aftermarket shifter. Something like a B&M or a TCS Cheetah shifter works very well. The M6 crossmember works, I'm not sure if the A4 does or not but I have to imagine that it does. You'll likely have to shim the transmission spacer up about 1 to 1.5" though to make up the difference in the tailshaft height.

The PCM will need to have the speedo sensor wired into a sensor on the TH400. You will have to get the sensor installed when you order the transmission or order the parts yourself. Depending on the settings you may have to adjust your tire size to account for the different number of pulses per mile that the sensor may produce compared to the A4.

You need a driveshaft that will work with the large spline shaft of the TH400. Depending on what rear axle you have the length may vary. For a 12 bolt in the stock location to a TH400 with the engine in the stock location the driveshaft is about 43 3/4" with the short slip yoke. You will want to custom order one to your length when you get everything in the car just to make sure.

You'll need a tranny cooler, dipstick, a oil temp gauge is a bonus. I wrote up much of my M6 to TH400 when I did it last year. Hopefully there is something useful for you in there. I haven't finished it, so you'll see some highlighted stuff in there. If you have any questions let us know.

http://www.derty.org/install/th400.jsp
Old 05-03-2004, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Thanks alot for the info, Getting tired of blowing up 4L60E's

Thanks again

Rob
Old 05-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DERTY
You have to get an aftermarket shifter. Something like a B&M or a TCS Cheetah shifter works very well. The M6 crossmember works, I'm not sure if the A4 does or not but I have to imagine that it does. You'll likely have to shim the transmission spacer up about 1 to 1.5" though to make up the difference in the tailshaft height.

The PCM will need to have the speedo sensor wired into a sensor on the TH400. You will have to get the sensor installed when you order the transmission or order the parts yourself. Depending on the settings you may have to adjust your tire size to account for the different number of pulses per mile that the sensor may produce compared to the A4.

You need a driveshaft that will work with the large spline shaft of the TH400. Depending on what rear axle you have the length may vary. For a 12 bolt in the stock location to a TH400 with the engine in the stock location the driveshaft is about 43 3/4" with the short slip yoke. You will want to custom order one to your length when you get everything in the car just to make sure.

You'll need a tranny cooler, dipstick, a oil temp gauge is a bonus. I wrote up much of my M6 to TH400 when I did it last year. Hopefully there is something useful for you in there. I haven't finished it, so you'll see some highlighted stuff in there. If you have any questions let us know.

http://www.derty.org/install/th400.jsp
If the rear of tranny is not shimed could it cause a vibration through the car?
Old 05-04-2004, 03:18 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It would apply some very negative driveline angles between the tranny and the engine. Basically if you mount the transmission up it will almost want to find a neutral position to be in. If you tug it down out of alignment you are going to load all the bellhousing bolts and apply excess torque against the motor mounts. It's better to try and keep it aligned if possible. Depending on the transmission mount it may be different heights too. Which one are you using (M6/A4/BMR)?
Old 05-05-2004, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Useing the A4.