Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

S60 quick perormance moser 12 bolt ahhh???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default S60 quick perormance moser 12 bolt ahhh???

Well. That is the question.LOL

I have a 02 formula that I am saveing money to get a rear end. Car has the 4 channel ABS. 6 spend car that I switch back n forth from the 18s to the 15' racestars with the x275 mounted and go drag raceing. Then I switch back and drive it to work when I want and go across a few states if I please. Im currently using 3.73 gears but they are not enough. Long story short. I put the x275 on the car and the driveshaft twisted into pieces and now the rear end is humming. That being said I am kinda weighing my options tryin to figure out which one is best for what im doing with the car. The new rear will have 4.10 4.11 or 4.30 gears I haven't decided yet. I would like to keep factory breaks and 4 channel abs.

I am unclear on which locker I should choose. Their seem to be a lot of options with the 9 inch. No spools here. That's not an option for me. This is not a full time race car.

The car. 02 formula cam and boltons. Put down about 400 rwhp. I am almost done with the Nitous outlet kit. Gonna spray 125 shot threw it and remember this is a 6 speed car.

What rear would you guys buy and what locker and axle spline for my application?
Old 09-22-2013, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an S60 with 4.11's; seems to be a perfect gear with a 6 speed.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by z28_theantirice
I have an S60 with 4.11's; seems to be a perfect gear with a 6 speed.
What size rear tires are you using?
My 285/40 18 is 27.xx and my x275s are 28 tall. With the 3.73 ive got plenty of rpm to spare in 4th gear on the top side of the track.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

I love my S60. It bolts in like a 10 bolt as Strange uses all the OEM mount brackets. I'm currently using the stock torque arm, panhard bar and lcas with Strange welded on BMR lca relo brkts. The pinion angle is didn't change from stock, measured before and after. Strange 3" cromo DS w/1350 u-joints, no worries in the back of the car.

Get in touch with Carl at CRP he'll set you up and give you info as to lockers and S-trac diffs.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tom94TA
I love my S60. It bolts in like a 10 bolt as Strange uses all the OEM mount brackets. I'm currently using the stock torque arm, panhard bar and lcas with Strange welded on BMR lca relo brkts. The pinion angle is didn't change from stock, measured before and after. Strange 3" cromo DS w/1350 u-joints, no worries in the back of the car.

Get in touch with Carl at CRP he'll set you up and give you info as to lockers and S-trac diffs.
That sounds like a good deal their. I did pm carl to see what kind of price we are talking about.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BKsNHRA
Well. That is the question.LOL

I have a 02 formula that I am saveing money to get a rear end. Car has the 4 channel ABS. 6 spend car that I switch back n forth from the 18s to the 15' racestars with the x275 mounted and go drag raceing. Then I switch back and drive it to work when I want and go across a few states if I please. Im currently using 3.73 gears but they are not enough. Long story short. I put the x275 on the car and the driveshaft twisted into pieces and now the rear end is humming. That being said I am kinda weighing my options tryin to figure out which one is best for what im doing with the car. The new rear will have 4.10 4.11 or 4.30 gears I haven't decided yet. I would like to keep factory breaks and 4 channel abs.

I am unclear on which locker I should choose. Their seem to be a lot of options with the 9 inch. No spools here. That's not an option for me. This is not a full time race car.

The car. 02 formula cam and boltons. Put down about 400 rwhp. I am almost done with the Nitous outlet kit. Gonna spray 125 shot threw it and remember this is a 6 speed car.

What rear would you guys buy and what locker and axle spline for my application?
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...nformation.htm

I have a lot of info at the link here that may help you out. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-23-2013, 07:54 AM
12 Second Club

Being 6 spd go with the s60. 12 bolts are stronger than the 10 bolt but still dont like hard launches of the manual. 9in or s60 for 6spd cars is the way to go. I have a 9in with 4.10s. I love it
Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im a fan of the S60 but for my application I sort of wish I would have gotten a 9" due to the gear selection available. The tallest gears for a dana 60 are 3.54 and with my th400/turbo setup if I had a 9" I could go with 3.08s or 3.23s.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Brute-Spe...nformation.htm

I have a lot of info at the link here that may help you out. Bob

Thanks Bob. Ill give this a read after work today when I get time.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:33 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The S60 is a great rearend, but if you are wanting to do corners of any sort then the combination this and you having a M6 car then a 9 inch is the way to go for sure. The issue is the added weight and limited posi/gear options of the rearend will cause ill handling characteristics.

I have sold a whole lot of rearends to the roadcourse/autocross crowd as well, and the MWC fabricated 9" rearend with an aluminum center section is the best choice and most popular by far. We can also add a integrated Watts link locator to the rearend instead of the Panhard bar which will further more increase the handling response of the chassis. The 4.11 or 4.30 gears will be no problem, as well as retaining your abs system with any diff unit or center section you choose. The stamped style 9" rearends are good, but the weight savings are not near as much as the fabricated units and may not be able to install a Watts link either.

Obviously the drag racing part we have handled well as the quickest and fastest stock suspension f-body cars are all using MWC 9" rearends and full suspension packages.

One thing for sure is that MWC has all the options available from Strange, Moser, and the ever-popular MWC fabricated 9" package. We also have the guaranteed lowest prices and the street/racing experience to back it all up. If you need help during the install or at the track we are there to help you.

Give us a call and we can help you with decisions on options and styles of any rearend you like, and shoot it to you straight on the differences between all of them.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssvert99
The S60 is a great rearend, but if you are wanting to do corners of any sort then the combination this and you having a M6 car then a 9 inch is the way to go for sure. The issue is the added weight and limited posi/gear options of the rearend will cause ill handling characteristics.

I have sold a whole lot of rearends to the roadcourse/autocross crowd as well, and the MWC fabricated 9" rearend with an aluminum center section is the best choice and most popular by far. We can also add a integrated Watts link locator to the rearend instead of the Panhard bar which will further more increase the handling response of the chassis. The 4.11 or 4.30 gears will be no problem, as well as retaining your abs system with any diff unit or center section you choose. The stamped style 9" rearends are good, but the weight savings are not near as much as the fabricated units and may not be able to install a Watts link either.

Obviously the drag racing part we have handled well as the quickest and fastest stock suspension f-body cars are all using MWC 9" rearends and full suspension packages.

One thing for sure is that MWC has all the options available from Strange, Moser, and the ever-popular MWC fabricated 9" package. We also have the guaranteed lowest prices and the street/racing experience to back it all up. If you need help during the install or at the track we are there to help you.

Give us a call and we can help you with decisions on options and styles of any rearend you like, and shoot it to you straight on the differences between all of them.

Lots of options I see and that's why I made this post. This all sounds good but what kind of price are we looking at for this. This is a bigg hit for me but the car has to have it. The 10 bolt is on its last leg. Im not in a huge hurry as I still have a little time because I am saving the $ for this but I sure do appreciate the info im getting here on all this stuff.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

I'm in the same boat.

10 bolt needs to come out, but I don't know what to get. I see way too many complaints on the moser 12 bolt, but I don't want to give up much ET on the track and I know the S60 has more weight and takes away some power.

At the risk of throwing away $2500-$3000 between a rear end and driveshaft, I need to make the right call.

Last edited by Stardust; 09-23-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks Bob. Ill give this a read after work today when I get time.
Thanks, you'll find my prices are all on my website at this link. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-a...Ends_c2632.htm Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-23-2013, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Thanks, you'll find my prices are all on my website at this link. http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-9-a...Ends_c2632.htm Bob
Yes sir, I skimed over everything at lunch but I will take the time to read up on the link you sent me tonite and try to edjucate myself on all the lockers and such.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:01 PM
12 Second Club

I got a S60 with a locker from Carl @ CRP and couldn't be happier. Bolted in with no issues, quite as a stock rear, and no more worrying when a I spray a 150 shot.

Only negative to a S60 is the limited gear selection but six your a six speed I doubt your going to want tall gears like 3.08s.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97camaro383
I got a S60 with a locker from Carl @ CRP and couldn't be happier. Bolted in with no issues, quite as a stock rear, and no more worrying when a I spray a 150 shot.

Only negative to a S60 is the limited gear selection but six your a six speed I doubt your going to want tall gears like 3.08s.
No sir. I have 3.73 now. I'm looking to go 4.10-4.30 So that's not really a issue for me.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

What size rear tires are you using?
My 285/40 18 is 27.xx and my x275s are 28 tall. With the 3.73 ive got plenty of rpm to spare in 4th gear on the top side of the track.
I run a 295/35/18

Quick Reply: S60 quick perormance moser 12 bolt ahhh???