Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Rear cradle question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear cradle question

Hey guys...
Quick question about prying down on either side of the rear cradle for the purposes of removing/installing suspension springs...
Is there anything that can be damaged by prying down TOO much? I already know I have to keep an eye on brake lines, but aside from that I wasn't sure if there was anything else to be mindful of. I installed springs a year or two ago but need to do some tinkering again which involves removing them again. I remember being a bit leery about "hurting" something the first time around, so wanted to ask before going in there again...
Old 09-24-2013, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't there an e-brake cable and speed sensors?

How far down are you talking about prying it? I did mine without a problem, but then I didn't pry it down more than what was needed to get the cradle bushings installed.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

I leave one side bolted up and remove the bolts on the other with a jack supporting it. With the lower shock bolt removed, I then lower the jack, thus dropping that side of the cradle and opening up the spring mounts to allow for removal of the spring. I remember having to use a crow bar to pry down on the cradle to open this up a little more in order to get the springs in/out tho. Probably 3-4 inches or so past where the cradle just sits without the bolts or jack support...
Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

I know on mine, if I remove both shock bolts on either side, my springs basically fall out. If your doing one side at a time, your sway bar will want to keep the side your working on the same height as the side that is bolted up. So if you disconnect both shocks, both arms should drop down enough for easy removal.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

If you're talking about just pulling the spring all you have to do is undo the lower control arm mount on the knuckle, shouldn't have to undo anything on the crade itself..
Old 09-24-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Randy, wasn't aware you could drop both sides without the cradle completely dropping...I don't know how that thing's fastened to the rest of the frame though, so maybe there are more mounts toward the midline of the car that would support it even with the 4 outer mounts removed...?

Haven't looked at doing it that way Dmax but as far as I'm aware, dropping the cradle is the easiest way to get the springs out... I think your way requires more than just removing the LCA bolt at the knuckle, IIRC. I'll have a look though.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Remove lca bolt at knuckle. Undo one end of end link. That is all.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

If your goal is just to remove the springs, dropping the cradle is very unnecessary. Like I said, when I put my lowering springs in, I removed both shock bolts at the knuckle and I think I used a pry to pop them out without a whole lot of effort.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wes8398
Randy, wasn't aware you could drop both sides without the cradle completely dropping...I don't know how that thing's fastened to the rest of the frame though, so maybe there are more mounts toward the midline of the car that would support it even with the 4 outer mounts removed...? ...
Wes, I went pretty much by the FAQ, only I didn't drop it all the way out. Just barely enough to remove GM bushings and install Specter Werkes bushings.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...all/index.html
Old 09-24-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wes8398
Haven't looked at doing it that way Dmax but as far as I'm aware, dropping the cradle is the easiest way to get the springs out... I think your way requires more than just removing the LCA bolt at the knuckle, IIRC. I'll have a look though.
If you are just looking to replace the coil spring in the rear you take the wheel off, maybe the rotor and caliper depending on how your situated and then drop the bolt holding the lca in the knuckle. once you pull that bolt the lca is free and it should let you pull the spring with ease.

If you are trying to do the cradle bushings that is a whole different story, which requires lowering the cradle.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

I wrote this up awhile ago, might help you.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...004-cts-v.html
Old 09-24-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for all the input everyone. I wound up just doing it the way I'd done it last time (which I believe was following the Ground Control kit install instructions). One side at a time, I undid the bottom shock mount bolt, then supported that side of the cradle, dropped those 2 bolts to the last couple threads, then lowered that side of the cradle which opened up the spring mounts more than enough to get the springs out and do what I needed to do. Unfortunately my work didn't solve the knocking problem I've been chasing for well over a month now ... but I did tweak my "Ed-Mod" spacers to lift my rear suspension another 1/4 inch, which I'm happy with. I was hoping that extra clearance (via ride height) would stop whatever's knocking from making contact with whatever it's hitting ... unfortunately that didn't happen though. Starting to wonder if my shock is blown or if I might need to go with the Creative Steel trailing arms for better clearances than the MAP arms are giving me... we'll see, I guess.

I did attempt to follow many of your suggestions by just dropping the LCA but, as I suspected may happen, I couldn't get ANY of the end link nuts to break loose. I wound up stripping the "allen wrench" ends on them while trying to break the damn nuts loose. With only the LCA bolt taken out, I couldn't pry things open enough to get the springs in/out. So, I went about it as described above. It was pretty easy... got both sides done in an hour.

Quick Reply: Rear cradle question