Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Charge pipe sensor and nozzle location?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charge pipe sensor and nozzle location?

Where would you mount the IAT sensor, big red race valve and both meth nozzles in the picture? The couplers can be trimmed a bunch to expose more of the tube if needed for mounting. I just left them long for now.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Would it be ok to mount the BOV parallel with the radiator? Sitting it right before the radiator cap and blower pulley? The thing that i'm not for sure of really is that would have the mounting tube going into the 90 at an angle, but parallel with the radiator if that makes since. This is my first go around, so any of you pros help would be appreciated.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

I'm a turbo guy but, mount your valve at the apex of the bend and mount the other stuff downstream from that.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Thanks.

Am I correct, the meth nozzles need to be before the IAT? How far apart? Can it be before the 90 into the TB?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

I would put the nozzle after the IAT, meth can get on a IAT sensor and cool that more then then the charge air even though it would be by a very small amount. I would rather have my IAT dry, just saying.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Black Reign
I would put the nozzle after the IAT, meth can get on a IAT sensor and cool that more then then the charge air even though it would be by a very small amount. I would rather have my IAT dry, just saying.
Ok, but not knowing the temp. drop will make it harder to tune correctly?
Old 09-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

This is something you'd have to get from a super and a meth guy. I run turbo's and e85. E85 drops temps as well, which is why guys run E85 besides the higher octane rating and we have no way of measuring temp drop.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Launching!

OK, thanks again for your time and help.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Anyone else have any constructive help or pics of your setup?
Old 09-25-2013, 09:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would put the IAT sensor closer to the throttle body and the meth nozzles closer to the blower. The race valve somewhere in the middle. I setup my tune to pull timing and add fuel if the intake temps get to high. Fail safe if meth stops working.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcamaro02
I would put the IAT sensor closer to the throttle body and the meth nozzles closer to the blower. The race valve somewhere in the middle. I setup my tune to pull timing and add fuel if the intake temps get to high. Fail safe if meth stops working.
Agree. Except for the nozzles before the BOV. That'll get meth all over every time coming out of boost. Not much flexibility with that short of a pipe though...might have to do it that way.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jjcamaro02
Ok, thanks for the timing note.

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Agree. Except for the nozzles before the BOV. That'll get meth all over every time coming out of boost. Not much flexibility with that short of a pipe though...might have to do it that way.
Good point , appreciate it.

Is there any rule people go by for the distance between the dual nozzles and IAT sensor?
Old 09-26-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by KY Nova
Is there any rule people go by for the distance between the dual nozzles and IAT sensor?
I'm not aware of any general rule...there is a lot that plays into it. How much meth/what nozzle(s), how hot the air is, how fast the air is moving, etc. I will say that I have seen nice drops in temp from moving a 15gph nozzle from 12" from the IAT sensor to about 18" from the sensor. Going from ~5 degree drops to 30 degree drops. This is on a setup making about 900fwhp on like 15psi.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Launching!

I have a AIS triple setup. It has 2 10's for the charge pipe and 14 for the cold side. As you can see I don't have a lot room for them. I'm thinking cut the couplers as short as I can and mount the IAT right where the tube comes out of the coupler and then put the 2 nozzles back as far as I can , but before the BOV. Sound good to you?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are the chances of meth spraying out the bov with nozzles closer to the blower?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by eviltwin_1987
What are the chances of meth spraying out the bov with nozzles closer to the blower?
I don't see an issue, but i'm no pro. Someone earlier mentioned when it opened the spray would go everywhere. I would think it would already be off and that wouldn't be an issue, but once again i'm no pro and this is my first setup.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I would ditch the silicon 90°s and weld up 3 aluminum elbows with short, straight silicon connectors on the ends. You may be prone to popping connectors off depending on boost pressure, and from the looks of your cog I'm guessing this setup isn't just for trolling around the fairgrounds on a trailer.

Blowoff valve location isn't as critical to be in the flow path as a wastegate needs on a turbo build. You aren't trying to control pressure - simply relieve it. Put the blowoff valve where it fits but typically close to the throttle body.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chevy406
Personally, I would ditch the silicon 90°s and weld up 3 aluminum elbows with short, straight silicon connectors on the ends. You may be prone to popping connectors off depending on boost pressure, and from the looks of your cog I'm guessing this setup isn't just for trolling around the fairgrounds on a trailer.

Blowoff valve location isn't as critical to be in the flow path as a wastegate needs on a turbo build. You aren't trying to control pressure - simply relieve it. Put the blowoff valve where it fits but typically close to the throttle body.
I'm told it should make 14-16psi. Should I be worried at that amount that they will blow off? I understand your point, thanks. I've got other couplers to mess with, but from the throttle body to the fans is really tight. I've been messing with tubing and fabbing that radius, with 1.5D bends it won't work. So, start pie cutting it and the inside radius is almost a straight 90. To get it that short I didn't like the appearance and wasn't sure how much the flow would be hurt.

Thanks man, OH, wish I had a TIG to go aluminum.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would mount the IAT sensor in the intake manfiold, and the nozzles as far up-stream as possible, while still being AFTER the BOV.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be nervous about having FUEL coming out of the BOV after every time you lift from WOT. $.02
Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Launching!

I finally located some 90 elbows bent on a 3"CLR and they should be here in 2 days. Hopefully that do it.

Quick Reply: Charge pipe sensor and nozzle location?