Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

An interesting idea for you guys to critique.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 06:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default An interesting idea for you guys to critique.

There have been multiple threads about prochargers infamous inlet hats, and the fitment of them. Some fall off, some just wont fit, people putting bigger filters on them adding extra small ones.

I am in that place now, and I am more than capable of getting it to fit, but I had an idea, and I have been researching to see if it were possible in the sense that something was available for me to use. Let me explain....

My idea was to put a screen on the front of the blower in the rare event a rock bounces straight up near the impeller. At this point your thinking that is ok for the track but not acceptable for DD and a nice forged motor, or any motor as far as I am concerned. I concur.

So we have the screen on, and rather than sucking in filtered air, i would like to run a filter "in line" and blow filtered air in. Putting it in before the FMIC seems like the best idea, that way if it ever shredded it would not make its way very far. K&N makes something just like this for their turbo 4 banger cars, but the CFM rating is nowhere near what it would need to be for a car like us.

Anyways, here is a photo of it, Id like to know if anyone can think of something similar or an easy way to make something similar to this, or if their is a flaw in the overall reasoning behind the functionality of a blow through filter setup.

In all honesty, itd be really nice to put where the MAF used to be. It looks god enough to display IMO.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel your pain. I've spent hundreds this week buying different couplers and tubes trying to do this. So far a 90 and 45 with a piece of tubing to the filter is all I can fit under the stock hood. The filter is laying on the back of the intake. Not a kool looking setup by any means, but functional. Different car but same issues I bet. My master cylinder is 6" straight back from the inlet of the blower. I just started mocking up the charge side this afternoon.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joey, you need a large diameter aluminum 90* with a straight coupler connecting it to the blower. Make sire the aluminum elbow butts up against the blower so the coupler wont suck in. Then face the 90 towatds thebpassenger side of the car since ur radiator is stood up. Then find the longest filter you can find. Maybe 18" long to clamp the the 90* thatd b the way id see it working.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

U could even have a aluminum box fabbed up for your 90 and have round openings on the adjacent sides then connect it to your blower with a straight coupler then the filter on the other side. The box would delete the radius the tubing would have making it fit better.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Heres a very bad picture of what I mean.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Spectre makes filter boxes also
Old 09-24-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes4321
Spectre makes filter boxes also

nice. similar to the K&N. but the issue now seems to be CFM.

that spectre is rated to 450cfm.

Personaly I know my blower will be pushing....1600CFM.

I think it is possible, but not without huge restriction. more so than what we are already dealing with. the cannister would have to be the size of a 55 gallon drum to get a decent filter for it.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

I was in the same boat with my f1r. I tried to run the procharger hat but it was such a restriction that I was only getting 6 psi.

After this I took apart a flat k&n intake and used the screen on the blower inlet. This setup made 13psi and I went from 560@6psi to 700@13psi. Like you, I did not approve of this setup for the street.

This led me to put together this cheap 4" flexible inlet. This was the best solution short welding a complete aluminum intake.

I picked up 3psi over the screen setup with the new 4" tubing which was a surprise because I did not expect the screen to be that much of a restriction.

Quick Reply: An interesting idea for you guys to critique.