Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is Ram's aluminum flywheel right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 05:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Is Ram's aluminum flywheel right for me?

A quick run down of the car:

'94 LT1 Trans Am with 350 rwhp, 3600 lbs, 3.73 rear end. It's my daily driver all year on dry days. 2 or 3 times a month it sees hard shifting either on a twisty mountain road or drag strip.

I've been running a Spec aluminum flywheel since I converted to a T56 in 2007. My first clutch was a Spec stage 2 and it chattered like crazy. In 2009 I had the flywheel resurfaced during the engine swap. The chatter went away for a while then eventually came back. In 2010 I replaced it with a Competition Clutch stage 4, had the flywheel resurfaced again and it now chatters like crazy, too. I've also had slight bucking at part throttle cruise with the new engine.

I want to stick with aluminum for weight savings and a freer revving engine. The reason I'm looking at Ram (18 lbs) over Fidanza (12.5 lbs) is because I ran across a thread where someone mentioned a heavier flywheel will help dampen bucking. Is there any truth to this?

After dealing with all this clutch chatter, I also want to avoid warping and I figure a heavier flywheel with more material will resist warping. Ram is pretty much the heaviest aluminum flywheel I could find while still being lighter than the stock iron (24 lbs).

Last edited by AdsoYo; 09-29-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Go with the lighter one. The 5lb difference is not enough for the bucking to car about. Work on getting the car to run smoother.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also try a different material clutch. Spect stage 3+ is really good on the street, no bucking around for me.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

If it is all about road rally/auto x use than a lighter flywheel can be of benefit to get RPM's up quicker....for DD/Drag racing a standard weight FW.

I assume your Golen motor is internal balance so you need a neutral balanced (zero) FW

Given you motor specs and published dyno I would look into your tune....you should be making more power
Old 09-29-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

It's not so much about rally/ auto x or drag racing. Just weight reduction. If I can use a lighter part that performs the same or better than stock, I'll go for it. I've already adjusted my driving to a lightweight flywheel so that's not an issue.

As far as power level I'm happy with the horsepower, but the torque is low according to Golen's dyno sheet. 350 rwhp is about 415 flywheel horsepower after accounting for 15% drive train loss but I should have 60 more ft/lbs of torque than horsepower. I only have 20.

How is the Fidanza as far as warping? Does anyone know how thick the steel insert is?
Old 09-29-2013, 05:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Fidenza's are fine by me. Never had a problem with it warping......but I have mooved on to smaller lighter things than that.

Originally Posted by SladeX
You can also try a different material clutch. Spect stage 3+ is really good on the street, no bucking around for me.
Your confusing chatter with bucking.
Originally Posted by ******
If it is all about road rally/auto x use than a lighter flywheel can be of benefit to get RPM's up quicker....for DD/Drag racing a standard weight FW.
Lighter is ALWAYS better. The factory **** has been to heavy forever.

Quick Reply: Is Ram's aluminum flywheel right for me?