Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Issues - Racetronix pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Issues - Racetronix pump

Okay first question is. Why does my 2002 Camaro have two regulators. One on fuel rail & one in the tank? Heres my issue. I have a racetronix fuel pump with racetronix wiring harness that goes from alternator to fuel pump. & my fuel pressure is at 68 at prime then drops to 58 after prime. Then runs at 68 psi when the car is running & i know that 68 is to high. Why is my in tank regulator not controlling the pressure? I no longer have the fuel rail regulator due to the fact that i have after market fuel rails. Is this the cause? & its on 2002 Camaro
Old 09-30-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Please post pics of what you call the aftermarket fpr.

If its a stock regulator in the tank it should be around 58 psi all the time, no where near 68. It could be bad, did you buy this from someone else, id start there?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Its a new delphi fuel pressure regulator. 58 psi. The fuel pressure was at 68 psi with old regulator also. & dropped to 58. From what i can find online the cause is because i no longer have a second regulator on the fuel rail. So im gonna try this. & i cannot load pics on here but i have edelbrock fuel rails & edelbrock super vic intake
Old 10-01-2013, 01:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlkZ28
Okay first question is. Why does my 2002 Camaro have two regulators. One on fuel rail & one in the tank? Heres my issue. I have a racetronix fuel pump with racetronix wiring harness that goes from alternator to fuel pump. & my fuel pressure is at 68 at prime then drops to 58 after prime. Then runs at 68 psi when the car is running & i know that 68 is to high. Why is my in tank regulator not controlling the pressure? I no longer have the fuel rail regulator due to the fact that i have after market fuel rails. Is this the cause? & its on 2002 Camaro
The device on the factory rail is not a regulator. It is a pulsation dampener.
You should double check your pressure with a good mechanical gauge first. If it still reads high you may have a restriction in your return line or a regulator issue. It is not uncommon for a Racetronix FPA-001 to produce 62-64 PSI at idle when cold but it should drop to apx 58-60PSI once up to temp.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 10-01-2013, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

I put a new regulator in still had the problem. So now im trying anoth regulator before the fuel rail. Racetronix fuel pump worked fine till i got rid of the stock fuel rails & whatever that thing is on the rail. It looks like a regulator to me.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

racetronix has told you what was on the factory fuel rail. how are you measuring the fuel pressure?

when you installed a new regulator, where did you install it?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Okay its s cloged return line. I out a new regulator in the tank on the bucket. But i also just a adjustable installed a regulator before the fuel rail & it didnt fix it. So i tried to blow air threw the return line & its a no go. Line is definitely cloged.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

But i just put a adjustable fuel regulator on the fuel rail. Sorry. Smart phone is getting the best of me lol. But ya couldnt blow air threw the return line.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Do not run two fuel pressure regulators.
Remove one of them.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

I removed the ine in the tank. But now my car wont hold a fuel pressure. Its bouncing back & forth between 58 & 60. Unless my gauge is going bad. The car is still running ruff but siunds good at idle. But has no response. But leaming more toward my lifters going weak. Because the lifters are making more noise than usual.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 AM
TECH Resident

I removed the ine in the tank. But now my car wont hold a fuel pressure. Its bouncing back & forth between 58 & 60. Unless my gauge is going bad. The car is still running ruff but siunds good at idle. But has no response. But leaming more toward my lifters going weak. Because the lifters are making more noise than usual.
do you have all your grounds connected? and I mean EVERY SINGLE ONE. Look the car over for a loose ground.

lets focus on one thing at a time. fuel pressure, regardless of engine condition, if the injectors are firing, engine is running at 600rpm or higher, your fuel pressure should be at ~58psi or so. Now you said you took off the in-tank regulator, and you installed a regulator where? and how are you reading a two psi movement? Are you eye balling it or are you just simply seeing the gauge needle move slightly?

have you correctly set/adjusted your new FPR?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
Now you said you took off the in-tank regulator, and you installed a regulator where?
This is one of many issues with his setup. You can not simply remove the factory in-tank regulator and expect the module to work properly! This change alone could cause the bucket to be evacuated. All return fuel MUST be directed back into the bucket. Perhaps his regulator and lines are not plumbed properly as well.

>WEB SITE<
Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Im just gonna put a stock bucket system back in it & go from there. Cause i got a issue somewhere in the racetronix setup. I had the FPA-001 pump with the wiring harness. It all worked good with my stock fuel rail setup. I built a new motor & installed a super vic intake with after market fuel rails with a gauge on one rail. Tuned the car & the car ran good for a few weeks & lost power & was running ruff. The fuel pressure was at 58 at prime then dropped to 48 after prime. So i put a new racetronix fuel pump in part number fpa-001A which was the replacement for the fpa-001 pump. & it busted off 68 psi at prime & dropped to 58 after. It fixed the problem & tge car ran fine for a couple weeks & did the same thing over again. Started running like crap. So i put a bew regulator in the bucket in the tank & it still didnt fix the problem. So im scratching my head saying WTH.. So i took the regulator outta the tank ran a new return line & put a adjustable regulator before the fuel rails & that didnt fix the problem & my gauge now is jumping back & forth from 58 to 60. So im lost now & the only thing i can think of is to put a stock bucket back in & hope it can keep up the fuel demand of my motor
Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are u running the factory return on the car or do you have one coming off the regulator back to the tank? Does the regulator have a boost reference port on it? I would also run your regulator after the rail & not before..

Last edited by MM98; 10-04-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:53 AM
9 Second Club

With what is going on here, I don't think your ready to claim an issue with the Racetronix setup.

Lot of unanswered ?s.

Last edited by 3fingas; 10-04-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Could the racetronix wiring harness & relay be bad? Cause with a new regulator in the bucket & all lines hooked up like from factory, the car at prime has 68 psi & drops to 58. But while running has 68 psi. Only thing not hooked up is the vent line to the intake with the electrical connector. I caped the vent line off & had the tuner turn the connector off on my PCM.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

This is the issue i ran into. I had the older 001 racetronix pump & wiring harness. I have a super vic intake with after market rails with a fuel gauge on it. Had car tuned ran great. Pump system worked fine. Held 58 psi all the time. Car started missing & running like crap. My fuel pressure gauge had went bad. So i tested the pressure with a fuel gauge & it hit 58 at prime & dropped to 48. So i changed the fuel pump to the new 001A & it fixed the problem for about a week & started missing again. So i tested the fuel & it was at 68 psi at prime & dropped to 58. So i put a new regulator in the tank & a new fuel pressure gauge on the rail & it didnt fix my problem. At prime i have 68 then after prime it drops to 58. & while running i have 68 psi. So idk what the issue is. Im wondering if the relay is bad in the wiring harness or if my pump is gone bad again. I know at full throttle my volt gauge drops to about 11 volts. Could that be shorting my pump out or have messed up the relay?
Old 10-04-2013, 12:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Could the racetronix wiring harness & relay be bad? Cause with a new regulator in the bucket & all lines hooked up like from factory, the car at prime has 68 psi & drops to 58. But while running has 68 psi. Only thing not hooked up is the vent line to the intake with the electrical connector. I caped the vent line off & had the tuner turn the connector off on my PCM.
Not a relay problem. Capping the vent line is a bad idea.

>WEB SITE<
Old 10-04-2013, 12:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 3fingas
With what is going on here, I don't think your ready to claim an issue with the Racetronix setup.

Lot of unanswered ?s.
Probably not a fuel pump issue. This customer really needs to seek help from a trained tech.

>WEB SITE<
Old 10-04-2013, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Well i put it back all stock & it ended up not being a fuel issue my gauge was just bad. I have a internal issue. My lifters went soft on me. Second time lifters have went bad one me. Its running ruff as hell & pops threw the exhaust when i shift. & the lifters are making alot of noise.

Quick Reply: Fuel Issues - Racetronix pump