Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Shifter help

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shifter help

Wife's V is a 2005 that is all stock with exception of trans and motor mounts at this point. The shifter is SUPER sloppy. Like 3" slop while IN gear. What needs to be done to get this fixed. I have read about shifter bushings, some that can be done with the trans in the car, some that you have to pull the trans (REALLY hoping these are not what needs to be done) and of course the shifter it self. Or it could be a bolt that is wearing at the base of the transmission. Does anyone know what needs to be done to correct this? Seems that responses were all over the place when searching. I just need to get this knocked out and fixed. If it means a modified shifter, so be it. Not scared to get my hands dirty, but I would REALLY not like pulling the transmission in my driveway.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While doing my diff mount, I had the exhaust off and was able to feel the slop was entirely in the white bushings at the base of the shifter.

I could see this by grabbing the shift linkage and moving it side to side - the twist of the lever in the linkage was obvious. By comparison, I didn't have any notable play in the linkage-to-trans bushings or U joint.

I pulled the white bushings out, wrapped in aluminum tape, forced them back in, and voila, 90% better. PISNUOFF makes improved bushings as well.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Creative Steel and UUC if they still make them make a set of shifter bushings that generally improve the situation quite a bit. After market shifters seem to help as well with the precariously sloppy shifter in these cars as well. There are parts, cups, and isolators in the trans themselves that can make a difference, but it depends on how much work you want to do; normally the shifter bushings and an aftermarket shifter will get you pretty close.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Just to be clear, the shifter was not always like this. I drove the car about 2 or 3 weeks ago (been obsessing on my LSX mustang, lol) and it was not like this at all. Now it is almost like the gate is missing or something, hard to describe. I read a couple posts kinda describing this saying that it could be the bolt that goes through the linkage. Some saying bushings of some sort. I was hoping to get some more clarification on what parts cause THIS much slop.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:21 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If it's all stock, it could only be the bushings or the bolt at the base of the shifter. The cup holder is riveted to the body and wouldn't allow much movement. Your best bet is to get an aftermarket shifter. If you don't want to go that route, PM me and I'll send you a set of stock bushings that are still in decent shape.

PISNUOFF
Old 09-30-2013, 07:30 PM
TECH Addict

Do you also make a modified stock shifter? Or aftermarket poly or brass bushings?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Double check the bolt securing the shifter to the linkage and make sure it's tight, very tight.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Will do.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dose any one make aftermarket replacments for the bushings at the base of the stock shifter? I know mine are rosted and It woulx be nice yo replace them
Old 09-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Launching!

Got the same issue here. I'll be buying a bushing from PISNUOFF soon and doing the 12" pipe mod
Old 10-01-2013, 06:50 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Originally Posted by Sarg
Do you also make a modified stock shifter? Or aftermarket poly or brass bushings?
I have been modifying stock shifters for almost three years now. I've done over 180 of them. I completely disassemble each one and make several modifications to increase the length below the pivot, lower the **** height and tighten up the internal rubber connection.

I also have bushings made for the base. They are designed to fit tighter and made from Delrin.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

What is the price on said delrin bushings sir?
Old 10-01-2013, 07:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kyle242gt
While doing my diff mount, I had the exhaust off and was able to feel the slop was entirely in the white bushings at the base of the shifter.

I could see this by grabbing the shift linkage and moving it side to side - the twist of the lever in the linkage was obvious. By comparison, I didn't have any notable play in the linkage-to-trans bushings or U joint.

I pulled the white bushings out, wrapped in aluminum tape, forced them back in, and voila, 90% better. PISNUOFF makes improved bushings as well.
Can you get to these without dropping the transmission? Pisnuoff, do you make replacements for these? Pm me and let me know if you do please.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sarg
Can you get to these without dropping the transmission?
You can. I had the car on a lift with the exhaust off, and it was a piece of cake. Might be a bit trickier on jackstands, might be impossible with the exhaust in.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Good to know. I got a buddy with access to a lift. Now I just need to order whatever it is I need to order, lol. These the pisnuoff bushings. I just need to get this fixed. Funny the wife mentions a minor noise that you can't hear but doesn't feel this was necessary to mention. I guess I will order whatever other bushings I can change while in there.

Last edited by Sarg; 10-01-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

The noise is probably the diff. I tune it out, but my buddies were freaking out - "what the hell is that noise?"

The bushings are $75 (or were a month ago when I inquired). I figured I'd try bandaiding my stockers first - they were intact and pliable, just a little loose. For the free.99 it cost for an inch of AL tape, I'm stoked.

If your stock bushings are disintegrating, that's not going to work... he mentioned above having some decent stock bushings, might give that a go.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

I think it was the diff, haha.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:42 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Originally Posted by kyle242gt
The noise is probably the diff. I tune it out, but my buddies were freaking out - "what the hell is that noise?"

The bushings are $75 (or were a month ago when I inquired). I figured I'd try bandaiding my stockers first - they were intact and pliable, just a little loose. For the free.99 it cost for an inch of AL tape, I'm stoked.

If your stock bushings are disintegrating, that's not going to work... he mentioned above having some decent stock bushings, might give that a go.
Kyle is correct. I'll send the stock ones for free, though.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

We have been taking the approach of upgrading stuff when it needs replacement. I do appreciate the offer though! Is this something that if the stockers are disintegrated she needs to park the car til we can get it fixed?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

If the stock shifter bushings are disintegrating or crushed its not dangerous to drive the car, but it can become quite annoying when trying to shift; even more so if this is a daily driver in traffic.

Quick Reply: Shifter help