Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust tick

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust tick

Recently I installed some bbk shorties and a stainless works catted Y on my 01 ws6. After I installed them I had what sounded like a exhaust leak coming from underneath the passenger side. After taking it to two different shops, with each shop fixing some leaks (the second shop welding all the seams) the sound was still there.. The other day I started the car up with it up on stands. The sound was coming from the pipe between the passenger side header and cat. It's coming from a place with no seams. It's a loud ticking sound that is louder when first starting the car and when under throttle. Has anyone ever had this happen. Could it be lifter noise coming through there? Anyone even have stainless works products on their cars?
Old 10-01-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Check your spark plug wires and make sure they are all pushed in all the way at the plug. Will make it sound like a ticking that increases with throttle due to spark pulse. If the car was fine before I doubt it's a lifter or that loud of valve train noise with shorty headers. With long tubes it's a little more noticeable but not that bad.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might check and make sure all your plugs are tight. that will sound like a leak

Quick Reply: Exhaust tick