Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Fuel pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel pump issue

'06 CTS-V

First time the issue started was 2 weeks ago. Went to get a tire plugged, pulled up with no issue. Car was running just fine. Got tire plugged up, went to start to leave... nothing. Just cranking and cranking but no turning over.

Towed to shop, thanks to Fuzzy... got a fuel pump in... ended up looking like a burnt out \ frayed cable. Was informed probably damaged over time. Said **** it, kept the fuel pump in, had them replace the harness and all was good.

Until earlier today, when I went to leave from work and same thing. Nothing. Had to be towed out and when I arrived at the shop... tried to crank and car turned over with NO issue. I was just dumbfounded since I had just spent so much on a ****** tow.

Fast forward maybe 15 minutes... I turn the car off. Wait another 5 minutes, and when I go to crank, its choking up, like its not getting ENOUGH fuel, but the pump sounds like its on. Cut it off.... From there on out for about 2 hours, regardless of waiting periods... wouldn't turn over.

Unsure on what this issue could be. I doubt its from a bad fuel pump. The original one I took out looked in working order the first time. Figured it had to be the wiring.

Pulled plug wire to check spark... the spark is there.
Fuel pressure was 60 when it was first working when I brought it to the shop. Dropped out and then became nonexistant.

Pump should be good. What would cause something to burn out, unsure. I'm thinking bad ground, seeing as how issue seemed intermittent.

Changed relays. Swapped fuel pump relay with the interior light relay I believe, since they appeared to be same part.

No ohm testing yet. I'm thinking thats next. Might also drill a goddamn access door to this thing in the trunk.

Are there any fuel pumps that are in-tank or may be easier to deal with long term? Anyone run into this issue prior? Any ideas?

[edit]
Cut access hole. Tested for power and realized was not getting power but was getting signal just fine. Went with Racetronix harness upgrade and ran that from alternator back to fuel pump. Ran fine for over 2 years until signal wire died as well. LOL Rewired signal wire.

Last edited by odthetruth; 09-10-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Hasn't everyone yet ! I soldered on a heavier gauge ground wire on my pump and brought it up through the connector and haven't had a problem since, been fine for over a year now

Last edited by johnny2343; 10-01-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn--sorry to hear about these troubles. Is it possible that their wiring job shook loose, or they didn't use heavy-enough gauge wire? I replaced my wiring with the Racetronix kit about a year ago because of all of the burned-out wiring pictures I saw. Also, have you ever replaced your fuel filter?
Old 10-01-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my wiring burnt from the pump to the connector. you had to pull the bucket out to see it.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Damn--sorry to hear about these troubles. Is it possible that their wiring job shook loose, or they didn't use heavy-enough gauge wire? I replaced my wiring with the Racetronix kit about a year ago because of all of the burned-out wiring pictures I saw. Also, have you ever replaced your fuel filter?
It was replaced with stock gauge harness connector, etc. I still have the old burnt one in the car. I replaced my fuel filter maybe a year ago. I'm having it done again while its up on the lift for now.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

That OEM connector on the fuel module is a POS - it's good for indicating the level but barely to power an OEM pump. The cts-v and other platforms have had those electrical bulkhead connectors fail. A bad ground is enough to fail that connector and pull too much current - it's good for 13.5 amps.

Just a thought - if that connector is not melted then you could splice the ground wire and run another ground wire to the chassis.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

so is there a new fuel pump installed?
My connector burnt and took out the pump side connector too.
Melted a nice hole in the top of the fuel pump module.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by IdriveaV
so is there a new fuel pump installed?
My connector burnt and took out the pump side connector too.
Melted a nice hole in the top of the fuel pump module.
Did a new pump, but not the entire assembly. Just the pump. My connector was burnt on the ground, but had no other melts or anything. I've seen another thread where it melted thru the top part of the assembly and gas was leaking. Mine is not this severe.

UPDATE:

Few days back... Woke up, drove car maybe 6 blocks. Parked. Put air in 1 tire that seems to have a damaged TPMS slow leak. Went to crank... NOTHING. Towed.

Tank was dropped, acess door was cut for fuel pump. Tank raised up... car started working now again on its own, nothing changed?!

I've been told there was power TO the fuel pump when there was no fuel pressure... Was later told the wires were pinched.
Checked for spark myself. There IS spark, even with 0 fuel pressure.

I need all the information I can get in regards to testing for future times, maybe running a bypass so I don't need another tow if my *** gets stuck out somewhere far, and any ideas as to what this issue is? I've seen some of the threads on here and LS1tech in regards to fuel pump issue, but nothing seems to continously happen like this.

What grounds can I check? What connectors, etc?

What should ground read in ohm, and where exactly is the ground for the fuel pump on the chassis?
Old 10-31-2013, 08:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by odthetruth
Did a new pump, but not the entire assembly. Just the pump. My connector was burnt on the ground, but had no other melts or anything. I've seen another thread where it melted thru the top part of the assembly and gas was leaking. Mine is not this severe.

UPDATE:

Few days back... Woke up, drove car maybe 6 blocks. Parked. Put air in 1 tire that seems to have a damaged TPMS slow leak. Went to crank... NOTHING. Towed.

Tank was dropped, acess door was cut for fuel pump. Tank raised up... car started working now again on its own, nothing changed?!

I've been told there was power TO the fuel pump when there was no fuel pressure... Was later told the wires were pinched.
Checked for spark myself. There IS spark, even with 0 fuel pressure.

I need all the information I can get in regards to testing for future times, maybe running a bypass so I don't need another tow if my *** gets stuck out somewhere far, and any ideas as to what this issue is? I've seen some of the threads on here and LS1tech in regards to fuel pump issue, but nothing seems to continously happen like this.

What grounds can I check? What connectors, etc?

What should ground read in ohm, and where exactly is the ground for the fuel pump on the chassis?

If you didn't replace the whole sender, check the connector on both the outside and inside the pump. Mine burned the top of the pump connector all the way through.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump issue