Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 rebuild kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 rebuild kit

pretty much my 5th gear is messing up. in order for me to put it in gear i have to tap the gas. once in it stays in gear and runs fine.

i so since i gotta open it i decide why not get a rebuild kit and do it right.

where can i get a rebuilt kit from?

Car Spec:
2001 TransAm WS6
89,000 miles
Old 10-01-2013, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Good luck. I had a hard time finding my parts. No one wants to sell them alone. I picked up most from tick performance.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't even bother dude, it's an OD gear. Just skip it or tap the gas and do it.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly these transmissions are so cheap to have someone else rebuild it, that it is almost not worth your time to do it yourself. it is only like a few hundred bucks more for Tick to actually rebuild it then just the parts cost.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Try http://www.thegearbox.org/T56.html

On the other hand, a 5th gear synchro assembly is only $100 and a gear (if you even need it) is about $165. 5th gear is on the countershaft assembly and is right inside the main case and not hard to get to after you take the tailshaft extension off. The hardest part will be getting the 5/6 driven gear off the mainshaft. Once you do that, however, its a piece of cake taking the rest off and you don't have to fool with removing the case and messing with positioning shift rails, etc. to get it back on. This is probably a fairly inexpensive and easy fix as far as transmissions go.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the feed back guy ive been researching this a lot.

what do you guys think of these kits?

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/pr...th=110_103_119

With...

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/pr...th=110_103_120
Old 10-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
Try http://www.thegearbox.org/T56.html

On the other hand, a 5th gear synchro assembly is only $100 and a gear (if you even need it) is about $165. 5th gear is on the countershaft assembly and is right inside the main case and not hard to get to after you take the tailshaft extension off. The hardest part will be getting the 5/6 driven gear off the mainshaft. Once you do that, however, its a piece of cake taking the rest off and you don't have to fool with removing the case and messing with positioning shift rails, etc. to get it back on. This is probably a fairly inexpensive and easy fix as far as transmissions go.
heard the gear box was going outta business... is it safe to order from them?
Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fotis
Thanks for the feed back guy ive been researching this a lot.

what do you guys think of these kits?

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/pr...th=110_103_119

With...

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/pr...th=110_103_120
Bearings aren't required unless inspection shows failure of some sort.

TGB sells a different grouping of parts that would save money over that one.

heard the gear box was going outta business... is it safe to order from them?
Kevin told me they were moving into a new building over the summer, during which time they were not open. They have fulfilled orders for me since then too.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmd
Bearings aren't required unless inspection shows failure of some sort.

TGB sells a different grouping of parts that would save money over that one.

Kevin told me they were moving into a new building over the summer, during which time they were not open. They have fulfilled orders for me since then too.
which kit are you referring to?
http://www.thegearbox.org/T56.html

these are all the kits i can find, the seem pretty similar if not the same as the D&D ones... which have better quality? what am i missing here?

also how important are billet keys? worth buying or no?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Just subscribing to listen in on the info. I too have a T56 I want to go through this winter.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used tick performance and hawk 3rd generation. They carry just about any part you'll need. Tick has better shipping and support.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:02 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

which kit are you referring to?
http://www.thegearbox.org/T56.html

these are all the kits i can find, the seem pretty similar if not the same as the D&D ones... which have better quality? what am i missing here?

also how important are billet keys? worth buying or no?
The one you put together by doing teardown and ordering the parts you need instead of the parts you think you might need.

Tremec hasn't changed their carbon since 2006.

TDP has the best billet 3-4 keys going.

1-2 keys from a Vette modified to fit are weak. Billet are available from different vendors too.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jmd
The one you put together by doing teardown and ordering the parts you need instead of the parts you think you might need.
Take this guy's advice and don't go spending any money til you open it up. You are almost guaranteed to not get it right and you will either buy more than you need or not enough and still have to wait for parts.

I guess I misunderstood and thought you were just looking to fix the problem. If you want a full rebuild, pull the trans and tear it down, inspecting everything as you take it apart and making a list of needed parts. Then, buy everything you need in one shot.

Bearings are generally good for the life of the trans unless you see signs of overheating or galling. You will most likely be replacing most or all of the synchros, and possibly some of the gears if the dog teeth are worn beyond help. Some guys will try to file the teeth back into spec, but sometimes you can't do anything about it. You will also want to replace all the springs and keys, as well as get a new snap ring kit. Billet keys are nice, and upgrade the 3-4 shift fork as well to steel. I'm just kinda spitting out random stuff; I'm sure someone can catch anything I've missed.

I ended up buying the Stage 2 rebuild kit from thegearbox and supplementing with other parts I needed as I had a few gears that needed replaced.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:35 AM
Launching!

Do they make performance Slave Cylinders and throw out barings?

i was looking around and there is a company called "RAM" that sells a Slave Cylinder made of steal. Is that any better then the aluminum one? ...or is there really no real "upgrade" from the stock aluminum?

also which kit do u guys think has the best quality in parts, and is more complete

http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/it...17/3503769.htm $264

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/pr...th=110_103_119 $219

Im still going to do the Steel 3-4 fork, and Billet keys, and a snap ring kit.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Are the synchro's/blockers all the same for the T56's ?

I need to replace at least no2 blocker on my T56. It's a Tuet 1386, albeit with a Viper mainshaft. Still the 2.66 to 0.5 gearset though.

I may need other parts, but in general it's in good shape other than not liking to do a 3-2 downshift.

Would prefer to buy a kit of parts beforehand, to hopefully do the job in one go without waiting for parts, although obviously there is the risk others may be needed.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:07 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Maybe you have a builder's ID number on yours, but there is no TUET1386. TUET is a Tremec PN prefix used for both T56 and TR6060. 1386 is the Borg Warner prefix for T56 part numbers; still used on legacy PNs that have not been updated by Tremec.

Not including international applications; Non-GM, the F-bodies and one more GM application used the same blockers. Vette, GTO, SSR, and CTS-V used their own triple cone 1-2, and double cone 3-4 and 5-6 blockers.

I've never opened one up and knew exactly what it would need (Vette mainshaft breakage notwithstanding) So good luck with those two orders you'll place.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

13-86-065-902 is on the casing, that's a Tremec number. Although obviously internals will differ

It is a 2001 era Camaro based T56 as far as I am aware. Done a few years back by T56Rebuilds/SixSpeedsInc.

It was to be built with cryo'd gears, and uprated shifty bits, blockers, etc etc and the Viper mainshaft.

Obviously Ive no way of confirming what is inside as I havent opened it yet, but it does have the mainshaft ok.

I guess that just adds confusion, so dont buy anything til it's open ?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do they make performance Slave Cylinders and throw out barings?

i was looking around and there is a company called "RAM" that sells a Slave Cylinder made of steal. Is that any better then the aluminum one? ...or is there really no real "upgrade" from the stock aluminum?

also which kit do u guys think has the best quality in parts, and is more complete

http://www.thegearbox.org/catalog/it...17/3503769.htm $264

http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/pr...th=110_103_119 $219

Im still going to do the Steel 3-4 fork, and Billet keys, and a snap ring kit.
They are both about the same. It looks like thegearbox kit gives you a tailshaft seal while D&D doesnt.

But all of that is really irrelevant because, most of the time, a kit will not be what you need for your trans. Only when you open it up and determine the wear of your parts will you know what it is you truly need. I'm telling you, just open the trans up, make a list, and order parts. You are almost guaranteed not to get something you need or spend more money than necessary buying too much stuff if you don't open up the trans first. I know it's tempting in the effort to save time, but you will most likely come out the same anyway because you will inevitably guess wrong and then spend the same time waiting on parts that you would have in the first place.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:34 PM
Launching!

thanks guy i got it fixed!

i decided to got with

steal 1-2 / 3-4 forks
with bronze pads 1-2 / 3-4 / 5-6
billet keys 1-2 / 3-4 / 5-6

all new carbon kevlar syncros
all new new bearings
new snap ring kit
new bushing

everything besides the gears is now new. so it should have no problem! and its built up a bit

thanks everyone for your help!!

Quick Reply: T-56 rebuild kit