Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

X pipe on twin 6262 turbos

Old 10-04-2013, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default X pipe on twin 6262 turbos

Thinking about going twins for next year, I was wondering if a x pipe on the hot side would be a waste of time and money or would it keep both banks at equal pressure going into the turbos?

The only reason I was thinking about a x pipe was because of sum threads that on here that had to much back pressure and burnt valves out of the heads particularly the the side that had the longest hot side tubing before the turbo.

just wondering if it would be beneficial?
Old 10-05-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably don't need an x pipe per say, just a H pipe would do. I think the skyline or supra TTs used to have header cross over pipes to balance the presure. I can't see it causing any problems.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 9sectruck
Thinking about going twins for next year, I was wondering if a x pipe on the hot side would be a waste of time and money or would it keep both banks at equal pressure going into the turbos?

The only reason I was thinking about a x pipe was because of sum threads that on here that had to much back pressure and burnt valves out of the heads particularly the the side that had the longest hot side tubing before the turbo.

just wondering if it would be beneficial?
Anything that is free flowing as possible can only be a good thing. Up to you to decide whether it will or wont be.

As for backpressure causing burnt valves...I find that very hard to believe.

Expecially post turbine pressure. Pre turbine pressure can be very high, and still not burn valves. Ive run turbo setups on 4cyl cars that have seen as high as 60psi pre-turbine, and never had an issue burning valves.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:51 PM
8 Second Club

are you talking about an x pipe before the turbos?
Old 10-05-2013, 12:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by samdogmx
are you talking about an x pipe before the turbos?
No, after as normal

Before would be weird.

At the end of the day, only 1 cylinder is firing at a time. So in theory one pipe entering an X is left with 2 larger exits. So it should be freer flowing.

Whether or not any turbulence or other weird things come into play, who knows

If the system and silencers/mufflers are big enough, and say dual 3" anyway, cant see it making much difference as there would be minimal restriction anyway

Last car I tested was a friends, 4cyl turbo with around 750hp. Quiet 3" system with 2 large sliencers.
Measured only 2-3psi in the downpipe at most.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I use an x-pipe after the turbos, but only to get mixed exhaust gases to the wideband sensor.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

The X pipe before is what I was asking.. I have never seen it done but was just wondering if it would benefit the engine with a x pipe making equal pressure pre turbo, basically sinking the turbos to one another using equal back pressure
Old 10-06-2013, 04:02 AM
9 Second Club

I think it would be a very bad thing. It would lose gas speeds, and probably soften any pulses of gas sent to each turbo, as well as complicating plumbing.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say try it. just take a tube from each bank and put a flange on them. and then make a spacer that has a flange on both sides as a coupler. that way at the track/dyno you can try it with the H pipe and remove the "coupler" then install 2 block off plates and try it again. then you can PROVE if its good or bad. just make sure to monitor as much as possible. back pressure ect....
Old 10-06-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If. It's pre-turbo the scavenging effect of the x-pipe would be beneficial. More continuous smooth flow rather than pulses with reversion. Sounds interesting.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 AM
8 Second Club

Received 676 Likes on 499 Posts

What? X-pipes have no place in a turbo system.

After the turbo it will just be additional restriction and pointless.

Pre-turbo would be even worse. You want the exhaust pulses to be as strong as possible. You also want the turbos as close to the manifolds as possible.

Not a good idea at all IMHO.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bringing this one back from the dead.

Obviously an x-pipe pre turbo (aka a crossover) is a terrible idea, but why/how would an x-pipe in the post-turbo portion be a bad thing or create restriction? My car will have a LOT of tubing to get to the rear bumper, and I planned to put a smooth transitioning X-pipe as close to the turbos as possible. I'm building the exhaust from scratch so I figured I might as well put it in there.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:01 AM
8 Second Club

X-pipes are used to help balance the exhaust pulses from each cylinder bank on a “V” engine. Your banks are merged pre-turbo, an X-pipe would serve no purpose and only add restriction as the flow intersected.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:47 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
X-pipes are used to help balance the exhaust pulses from each cylinder bank on a “V” engine. Your banks are merged pre-turbo, an X-pipe would serve no purpose and only add restriction as the flow intersected.
An X pipe after could offer less restriction.

One cylinder only fires at a time, and your single 3" merging into a X with larger area and exposed to two 3" outlet path options, should offer less restriction ?

I dont think it's as clear cut as you suggest
Old 12-12-2014, 03:14 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
An X pipe after could offer less restriction. One cylinder only fires at a time, and your single 3" merging into a X with larger area and exposed to two 3" outlet path options, should offer less restriction ? I dont think it's as clear cut as you suggest
I agree. I can't see how an X pipe post turbo can cause any measurable amount of restriction as long as the pipe diameter remains the same. I probably wouldn't do it on a race car but I like the way it sounds for a street car. I don't notice any difference on mine anyways.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:56 PM
8 Second Club

I do wonder if the quality of the sound would be changed? Popping/back firing etc.

Last edited by oscs; 12-12-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:23 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
An X pipe after could offer less restriction.

One cylinder only fires at a time, and your single 3" merging into a X with larger area and exposed to two 3" outlet path options, should offer less restriction ?

I dont think it's as clear cut as you suggest
I could be wrong, but I don't think there are any alternating "pulses" in the exhaust post turbo. Without separate pulses per bank there is no benefit. An X pipe allows an alternate easy path for divided pulses.

Without separate bank pulses there is no "break" or easy alternate path for flow.

If you split a single pipe into 2 pipes that intersect and you will have a restriction at the intersection. It disrupts laminar flow or some such technical jumbo...
Old 12-12-2014, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On an N/A application, there is a noticeable reduction in exhaust noise. I would think that would still apply post turbo, which would be my main motivation for installing one. I can't imagine it would hurt anything, but doubt there would be any performance advantage.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was planning on using an x pipe with my twins solely for the sound. Can anyone chime in on the noise difference between the two and if they actually lost power due to restriction?
Old 12-12-2014, 04:57 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hi-Po
I was planning on using an x pipe with my twins solely for the sound. Can anyone chime in on the noise difference between the two and if they actually lost power due to restriction?
Curious too.. I'm redoing my exhaust this weekend and now you guys have me debating on wether to run one or not..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X pipe on twin 6262 turbos