Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless steel lid? Bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stainless steel lid? Bad idea?

Stainless steel lid? Bad idea?-ykowwer.png

I want this, because it's cool and has all the holes I need, but I'm wondering if it's a bad idea because the metal will retain heat and cause IATs to skyrocket. If it's 90 degrees out like it often is here in SoCal, and I'm driving around for an hour, won't the metal be soaking up heat and causing all the air that gets sucked into it to heat up too?

If I'm wrong about this and it won't be a problem, I'm getting it.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would call this a show piece and keep it shiny for
when the hood's open. Use a plain plastic one for
actual driving. IAT mounted in the air cleaner
usually sucks regardless. Relocate it out of the engine
bay and don't look back.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

maybe use it on cooler days.

looks nice though.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the air moving through the lid, I doubt it would heat up much, if at all. All of the points the lid touches are plastic and rubber. Last time I checked, plastic and rubber do not conduct heat.

If it fits, polish that thing up and go. I think it would be unique and look nice.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I would call this a show piece and keep it shiny for
when the hood's open. Use a plain plastic one for
actual driving. IAT mounted in the air cleaner
usually sucks regardless. Relocate it out of the engine
bay and don't look back.
I'll look into that.

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
maybe use it on cooler days.

looks nice though.
That's kind of what I was thinking... being that it is cooling down to 70s-80s here now...

Originally Posted by DarkblueTA
With the air moving through the lid, I doubt it would heat up much, if at all. All of the points the lid touches are plastic and rubber. Last time I checked, plastic and rubber do not conduct heat.

If it fits, polish that thing up and go. I think it would be unique and look nice.
I'm just talking about the ambient heat in the engine bay. The air moving through would cool it some, but air-cooling metal just means that the air used to cool it gets the heat, and then that heated air goes straight into the intake.

You're right about the plastic and rubber not heating it up, but even so, being in constant contact with ambient hot air will usually heat up any piece of stainless, even if it is sheltered from sunlight and other hot metal. I'm no engineer though, so I'd have to actually test it to know what I'm talking about.

I would love to test fit it and drive around on a cooler day to see if it drives IATs up or anything like that, but I'm not sure I want to pay $100+shipping for something that I'm not sure I'm going to run.

Anyone else want to try it?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

I run that lid and love it.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02 reaper z28
I run that lid and love it.
Awesome, do you do any extensive street driving? No temperature increase when you switched to this one?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

i came across this recently and wish id have found it sooner, looks cool and has ports for spray, i drilled holes in my slp for it. id do it. at 100 bucks if it turns out to suck in heat switch out in summer for plastic one.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see any heat soak for this unit. Its away from the engine & has cool air passing thru it. I bought one because I needed the 90MM but I am having it painted to match the car.

Love the NO2 bungs for future needs!

Chad
Old 10-07-2013, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

It shouldn't get hot. Nothing hot is going through it or connected to it so I dont understand how it would. People have metal intakes. I wouldnt be afraid to run this and it looks sweet!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:02 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The IAT tells the PCM the incoming air temp. The sending unit in the head tells the dash gauge the engine temp. Unless you're scanning the IAT report through the PCM while driving, you won't have any idea what it's doing.

In the early days of modern fuel injection, GM used to install the IAT in the intake manifold. The heat soak would cause issues.

Even though this lid is away from the engine, it's still under the hood of a hot engine bay. Highway speeds it'll be OK but sitting in traffic around town it'll provide the PCM some false elevated temperatures.

I wouldn't recommend or use it.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

It will not be as bad as you think.

SS does not conduct heat very well, in fact it is very slow. so it will not give up as much heat to the air.

As an example. If you took a 6" long piece of aluminum and made a 1" weld on one end and right away touched the other end, you will get a bad burn. Do the same with SS and it will feel stone cold at the other end. SS will not give up the heat to the air very quickly. Not as good as plastic, but far better than steel or aluminum. The thermal conductivity of aluminum is 204 and SS is 16. So you can see the energy move a lot slower in the SS. Plastics are like .5, so they are far better.

I may get one as I had to hack up my 102 to make it fit with my ducting, this I can add to it or remove and add to suit my ducting to the Harrop. If I am worried about heat, I could get coating put on the inside surface.

Something to think about though.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

I just recalibrated my IAT, LS7 MAF with IAT built in, it was about 12 degrees off. Reading way hotter than its supose to be. The LS7 MAF has the IAT in the path of the airflow. Better design then having it in the lid. Car started running better.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet it wont be as hot as the plastic intake sitting on top of your motor!! Talk to me about cooling that thing off first and then worry about the air lid.

Chad
Old 10-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Teching In

It wont be as bad as aluminum because it dissipates head well it stays hot once it gets hot. Stainless takes a while to warm up. Try it and see which one works the best.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Paul Bell is dead on. I'm not saying its a huge issue, but if you think ANYTHING under your hood aint blistering hot you're living in fairy tail land. I bought one way back when, never installed it but sold it instead. The fit and finish isn't as nice as it looks in the pics once you get it in person.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:41 AM

Better design then having it in the lid. Car started running better.

Old 10-09-2013, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My IAT harness went out in my C5 so I just bought a new IAT harness and sensor and relocated the IAT to inside of my Ram Air Box instead of before the radiator right in front of the motor where it was from the factory. Now the IAT is exposed to the same air my car is pulling in and it's far enough away from everything to not catch near the heat it was before, if any. Car has ran MUCH better and smoother since this change, especially in the blistering hot. I'd be leery of this lid unless you bought a ram air kit like the FTRA or SSRA kit and relocated your IAT sensor to that.
This is where my IAT used to be. This is a temporary plug until I order another air bridge.

Here's where it is now...

And here it is inside of the air box, this air box is open to fresh air, much like the FTRA or SSRA for you F-Body guys so I'm always getting accurate(enough) readings and not skewed readings.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:05 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks great Amrillo!

Later GM vehicles placed the IAT sensor into the MAF sensor. IMHO, this is the best place for it.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Looks great Amrillo! Later GM vehicles placed the IAT sensor into the MAF sensor. IMHO, this is the best place for it.
Whenever I had my WS6 I had a FTP lid with the 85mm MAF that had the IAT built into it and it worked great!

Quick Reply: Stainless steel lid? Bad idea?