Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

How are Y'all painting your grille surrounds?

Old 10-05-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Default How are Y'all painting your grille surrounds?

The chrome pieces that surround the upper and lower grilles. Mainly asking for the blacked out guys, not sure if I have seen anyone paint it any other color. Anyway, I have painted mine two times now and it is in need of a third. The paint just does not stick to it. Bugs and rocks hit it and the paint chips away easy. Once chipped I can scrape it off with my nail. I have sanded it, cleaned it, and use adhesion promoter; still not sticking. So I guess Im looking for tips and techniques? The gille mesh themselves are metal and have been powdercoated, but these pieces are chrome plastic so...that is out. Thinking about using a sand blaster to get a real good paint profile but fear it will gouge the plastic deep. Any help would be awesome and much appreciated! Thanks.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going for flat black, then use plastidip. It's been on mine for about a year and still looks great. Pretty durable. I didn't even sand it. I just put it on like it was in case I wanted to go back.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

No, def going for gloss.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Plasti-dip + Glossifier lol
Old 10-06-2013, 05:19 AM
Launching!

I'm using plasti dip as well, I didn't think the glossifier worked that well, but i still like it the way it is and it has been on over a year no issues.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Sand it, then spray it with an epoxy primer, a good base, and a good clear. You can get all three at a automotive paint store in a rattle can, and it will be WAY better then the crap they sell at hardware stores.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brack86svo
Sand it, then spray it with an epoxy primer, a good base, and a good clear. You can get all three at a automotive paint store in a rattle can, and it will be WAY better then the crap they sell at hardware stores.
I think I used epoxy primer last time. And have def been using good automotive base and clear....
Old 10-06-2013, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Sorry, I meant etching primer. Etching primer is your only bet of keeping something stuck on the chrome. You can use an epoxy primer over the etching primer to help the base coat adhere.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Plastidip and glossifier is the key and if you ever wanna take it off the grill VM&p thinner turns it back to liquid cause you would not wanna peel off the mesh grill almost impossible
Old 10-07-2013, 12:44 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

just had my grills redone whrn the bumper got repainted. Some ******* hit the bumper while I was at work. Did leave all his unsurance info. Cadillac black was used by a proper shop.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:44 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

day she came home. Havent left the garage since.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Teching In

when we painted my bumper & grilles, we sanded all the faux chrome off everything (used a media blaster for the grilles), then primed, sanded, and then paint & cleared it. You could easily do this with some automotive spray paint, as long as your prep work is done right it will come out looking good. Only way to do it IMO, no sense cutting corners and making the grille & trim look chincy.
here's a photo for reference with how it turned out
Old 10-07-2013, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Chris51187
when we painted my bumper & grilles, we sanded all the faux chrome off everything (used a media blaster for the grilles), then primed, sanded, and then paint & cleared it. You could easily do this with some automotive spray paint, as long as your prep work is done right it will come out looking good. Only way to do it IMO, no sense cutting corners and making the grille & trim look chincy.
here's a photo for reference with how it turned out
That is what I wanted to hear! Awesome! Thank you!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep the key to what Chris and others said is the tooth in sanding the plastic pieces.

I tried soda blasting chromed plastic and it is not enough. I then tried media blasting with some black diamond(80ish grit) and it was a little too aggressive. I could get it done, but if you left in one place too long, it was no bueno.

Just picked up an airbrush for painting the guns and going to get some gloss black for those surround. I will let you know how it comes out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How are Y'all painting your grille surrounds?