Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

extra part from c5z to gto t56 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default extra part from c5z to gto t56 conversion

I just want to confirm that this solid pin is specific to the corvette t56 and it's used for the shift rail. It fell out of both c5z t56s I opened up when I pulled up the rails and it doesn't seem to have a home in the gto t56. The second pic is where I think it's supposed to go once the shift rail is pushed into the front adapter all the way. Sound right?

The outer race pressed into the input shaft was hard to get out. I tried a blind hole puller, dremel/chisel, and some other tools with no luck. Saw some posts about welding a bead around the inside and waiting for the weld to cool/contract. I was afraid of welding the race to the input shaft, but since I'm really good at laying down a bead with almost zero penetration I gave it a try. The race came out pretty easy with a little bit of prying up on the weld. It worked on two input shafts with no issues. Cool idea.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:16 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Correct on the lateral spring pin.

Always had luck w/ the blind hole pullers. I'm about to upgrade mine; it works but it's just a touch small to hold on the really tight ones.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a good reference for the c5z/gto/cts/ssr internal parts? The t56 manual I found on-line is pretty old and looks like it's for a lt1/ls1 fbody. Having two c5z t56s helped to cross check parts and tick is pretty good at listing stuff which is specific to certain models, but it's still a little disconcerting to not have some washers. Presumably, they were designed out in the newer t56.

Quick Reply: extra part from c5z to gto t56 conversion