Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Help Identifying sound - with video!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Identifying sound - with video!

Alright started yesterday as I was leaving home started to hear this loud hollow/grinding like noise coming from under the car towards the rear. It gets pretty loud so I pull to the side it goes away and I decide to turn around and go back home (was less then a mile from home) the noise returns as I start moving again. Got home looked under the car couldn't really see anything out of the ordinary so I decided to grab a couple videos real quick. The noise eventually stops and goes away and car sounds/moves fine. I didn't drive the car anymore yesterday and this morning same thing happened but after a short time it goes away and is fine.

Halfway in 2nd video you can hear a clunk and it stops making the nose. Yes my hand is blocking the lense.

My first thought was my exhaust rubbing on something but again got under the car didn't see anything wrong so I am leaning towards maybe something with the drive shaft or rear end. But I openly admit I'm not the smartest with that stuff so figured ask here for help.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

im also going with some rear end related. did you check your half shafts for looseness?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not yet been a busy weekend so it's just been in the garage, good suggestion to check. Along with cv joints or possible a bearing.

Quick Reply: Help Identifying sound - with video!