Sponsored by:

LS3 into 2000 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS3 into 2000 Mustang GT

Hello,

I am planning on doing an LS3 swap into a 2000 Mustang GT,

I have a 2009 Cadillac Escalade, with a running LS3 motor, it is a salvavge Escalade,

Also have a 2000 mustang gt in good shape, that needs a new motor, a freind gave me the idea to do a LS1 swap, I bought the complete LS1 motor with wiring, I beleive it came out of a 2002-2004 Lumina SS,

Now, I am planning on taking the LS3 out of the Cadillac, and replacing it with the LS1,

The LS3 will go into the Mustang, was wondering if you have any items that would make all of this easier, and what do you think of all this ?

I am living in United Arab Emirates, have a pretty good mechanic that doesnt charge much for his labour, he has done a LS1 swap on a nissan 240sx, and make it work with a Mustang Cobra 6spd tranny,

he's confident he can make all of this work..to disable the security system it will cost me around $400, will need some customs headers, and other modifications to make it work, how will the stock tranny in the Mustang handle ? its a 5spd must be the stock one, car has short shift and exhaust, I have everything ready, need to know what other things I will need , or would help, my first time doing something like this , any advice would help , thanks
Old 10-06-2013, 07:22 PM
TECH Regular

AJE tubular k member gives you alot more room for your headers.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:13 AM

I was looking into that as well, best place to buy it would be ebay? I think they dont ship out to my region on their site, Im located in the Dubai region,

As far as electrical , and getting some aftermarket guages to work. What would I need? Would it be possible to get the factory wiring , wired up to aftermarket guages? or would I need some aftermarket unit to make it all work?

What kind of tranny's do the 2000 GT's come with stock? would it be able to handle 475hp?
Old 10-07-2013, 12:01 PM

Any good links for the exact peice I would need? I found few of them , not sure exactly which one I would need..
Old 10-07-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

You can look it up on their site,I forget the part number for the k-member. As for gauges I know there are alot of guys that swap in a Camaro cluster. Use the search function on this site to see what others have done.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

They come with the t45. I put the gm t56 6 speed behind my ls1 that's what it comes with out of a vette or camaro. The cobra 6 speed is a t56 as well but different from the gm version. I would not keep the t45 there not super strong. Plus getting a ford trans to mate to a Ls prob isnt cheap or easy. Aje makes a trans cross member for the swap as well. Got all my aje stuff from jegs.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:23 AM

I just realized my motor is not an LS3 , but an L92, its out of a 2009 Escalade, still a good motor? whats better? I will use this now that I have it, engine is running perfect, I will get an intake manifold for it , any cheaper ones out there? cheaper than the Fast one ? would I be able to use a stock LS3 intake ? if that's the last cheapest option.. I might just get the Fast one eventually.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Junk the L92 and get a 6.0. in fact I will trade you mine....LOL. L92 are perfectly good, and pretty much a LS3 anyway.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:34 PM

I have a 07 Trailblazer with a LS2, the 09 Escalade , only thing good on it , is the L92, and I have an LS1 , from a Lumina SS, just sitting there, easiest would be to drop the LS1 , which is out already just sitting there, the Trailblazer SS , I will keep around, its in pretty good shape, and runs nice, Taking out that L92 is tempting , just seems to me like a lot of work, I'll probly end up doing it anyways, but it might be the hardest one to get to fit and work in that 2000 Stang GT ?

Its about 50-60 Hp more than the LS1, but alot more work . Do you think its worth the hassle ? Maybe I can just get a cams kit of ebay, and match the HP?

Those kits going for just over a grand on ebay, with the lifters, and springs, there are some with push rods, and some without , the kits without push rods are about $400 cheaper, is it worth the extra $400 for the push rods and timing chaing kit ?
Old 10-14-2013, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my cam kit from FTI, and I would get the pushrods too, even tho the L92 pushrods are rumored to be pretty tough. i had a buddy run one HARD and never hurt a push rod. Unless its a Katech chain, or whatever some of these guys are running, i would just use a LS2 chain. But someone else with more exp in LS's might have a different opinion. The L92 will fit the same, all external dimensions are the same, the L92 will be capable of LOTS more power. AJE k member, and mounts and mine dropped in easier than a sbf. Dyna tech headers worked great. I have the LY6, but its just a 6.0 and would love to have your aluminum block. My cam kit was about 800, but it was springs, retainers ,pushrods and all. You can get cheaper kits, but Mine performs pretty awesome to me. My car is a fox, but engine bay fairly close to the same. It should fly with the L92. I would trade my LY6 for a L92 all day long. Its the next swap mine will get, that or a stroker kit.

Quick Reply: LS3 into 2000 Mustang GT