Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch recommendations (see post)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch recommendations (see post)

So I haven't been following these boards for a while (lack of money these last couple years) and my 02 SS stock LS6 style clutch broke. And for those that maybe haven't had one out, from what I understand it has a ratchet mechanism to adjust it which looks like three fingers with notches on them and a spring pushing against it. One of the three went out of alignment (I will post pics later) and it caused a set of the diaphragm springs to be stuck down. The way the problem presents itself is the clutch pedal feels normal but with the pedal all the way down the clutch won't disengage.

Anyways my question or questions are, the car is stock right now I may sometime in the future do a cam, heads and long tube headers upgrade. I know 500 hp isn't too difficult with those parts and perhaps its even easier now (as I haven't been here in a while). But I don't plan on doing anything that would involve cutting up the car or anything. So I want to get a idea of what the best clutch would be for me.

As in a clutch that will be fine for driving on daily basis, I live near Chicago so traffic is pretty much a given. I would prefer it hold up for awhile as taking the trans out of this thing seems slightly worse then my prior LT1 car for some reason.

Thoughts recommendations? The sooner the better as (long story) I kind of need to get this thing back together ASAP.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2013, 10:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our Level 1 or 2 would be the clutch I'd recommend, there have been a couple reviews on both here recently...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...pressions.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-2-review.html
Feel free to contact me with any questions, Chris 817-750-2000
Old 10-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you may want to consider the LS7 setup...lots of folks love it for the street. if you do any racing doesn't matter what discipline, you will cook it in short order...especially drag racing.

ML1 or ML2 would also be good. again if you're keeping street only, use the stock master cylinder or something better with the same bore diameter. the stock MC is not as terrible as some make it out to be...it just needs clean fluid to operate correctly.

GET A SPEED BLEEDER...google it.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:35 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SPEC Stage 1, 2 or 2+ will all provide great street manners. I list options because sometimes plans change and if you diced to go even bigger in the future having a clutch that is rated to handle more torque, while still providing great daily driving characteristics can be a big advantage.

All of my recommendations eliminate the SAC-style stock plate. These can also be used with a stock flywheel, though we offer both steel and aluminum options. And, you should replace the stock slave cylinder whole you're at it too. I hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any questions and I will be more than happy to assist you!

Quick Reply: Clutch recommendations (see post)