Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLP longtubes vs Kooks / ARH - anyone know the improvement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FLP longtubes vs Kooks / ARH - anyone know the improvement?

I have a set of FLP longtubes with catted y-pipe. This was the best longtube system on the market back in early 2000 for the LS1/LT1 engines.

When I purchased this set used, the person said they were upgrading to Kooks as they would have gotten a few more ponies over what the FLP provided.

My FLP's air-borne coating is coming off, and found a set of ARH's for comparable price. I could also just have the longtubes recoated for fair price.

Anyone know, or remember if the kooks/ARH style SS longtubes provided more power through the range than the old FLP's?
Old 10-07-2013, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would wager that most LT design are not going to vary by a statistically significant amount, with the exception of the old SLP headers. Hooker/Jet-Hot/Pacesetter are almost the same pipe arrangement (My Jet-Hots came with a Hooker Headers sticker in the box ). I am stretching my memory but I think PPC/FLP/Kooks/ARH all use a fairly similar pipe arrangement. Power across the board should be close, quality is the differentiating factor at this point by and large.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

For the most part I agree. Go with whichever headers best matches your setup. If you're still happy with the FLP headers, recoat them and pocket the money you'd spend on high dollar pipes.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 208 Likes on 93 Posts

If they're both 1 3/4" then performance gains will be nominal. If you opt for ARH 1 7/8" then you may see a slight bump in power (judging by your sig).
Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

The Merge Collector is the biggest difference and does add hp due to improve scavenging.

Quick Reply: FLP longtubes vs Kooks / ARH - anyone know the improvement?