Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Truetrac differential help??

Old 10-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truetrac differential help??

I'm looking into buying a 9" for my 1998 m6 trans am and am looking at some used ones. Now I've read a few threads about truetrac differentials breaking and I don't want that happening to me. Now I was wondering would a truetrac work just fine if I just have a full bolt on car and only drive it on the street?
And couldn't I just switch out the differential down the line?

Just looking for some insight thanks guys!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Teching In

i just ordered a full nine inch swap today that was one of my biggest problems and i ended up goin with the billet ford traclok it is rebuidable but strong for street use and i figured if it broke i could rebuild it and when i go turbo 5.3 ill just spend the money on a wavetrac but just my two cents.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The Truetrac use to be a good differential until the parent company was sold. Shortly after he new ownership I started having customers calling me with broken Truetracs. These days I don't recommend the Truetrac for anything over 400 rwhp.
The Trac-Loc is good for 500 to 550 rwhp, but Moser does not offer it with ABS, as there isn't enough room in the housing for both. If you have ABS and traction control then it isn't a problem. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Thanks Bob, that's just what i was wondering. It would be pointless to spend all that money on a truetrac just for it to break again.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by o Crimson xx
Thanks Bob, that's just what i was wondering. It would be pointless to spend all that money on a truetrac just for it to break again.
You're welcome, and I agree. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-08-2013, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I dont know about it for high powered street cars, but a lot of guys on the truck forums run them and are happy for the most part. I'm chiming in because I just installed one in my truck this past weekend. Only cruised around the building and into some dirt briefly for testing and it works well, but this was disappointing - One of the first things I noticed when I took it out of the box was the big "Made in Taiwain" etching right on it. Is there a city named Detroit in Taiwan? Oh well, it's the world we live in right?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got just under 400hp, and had a TrueTrac put in a few months ago. I've since run at LEAST 50 passes at the drag strip on both radials and bias ply tires and have yet to hear a complaint on the diff, and I'm an M6. It has good street manners, performs well at the strip for me, and was a lot cheaper than the Wavetrac. If it breaks then I will go 35 spline Wavetrac, but for now it is holding great and I'm happy with it. We'll see what happens when I start throwing power at it.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Teching In

I'm thinking I'll just go traclock, I won't mind not having ABS.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

So far mine has been great. As for the Taiwan, that's a hell of a lot better then China in most cases.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A true Comparison

As far as I know, there are 3 different five-six pinion, 35 spline, helical style differentials, and they were released in this order:

1) Moser sold Wavetrac
http://www.moserengineering.com/diff...-wavetrac.html

2) Strange sold S-trac
http://www.strangeengineering.net/ne...racLayout.html

3) Eaton Truetrac (released in 2012, not to be confused with the older)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...55123115,d.eW0

All three are available in 9 inch Ford with 35 spline axles. Anyone with experience please contribute, especially since I am in the market.

A little more on this type of differential:

Geared, torque-sensitive mechanical limited-slip differentials use helical gears or worm gears rather than the beveled spider gears of the clutch based differentials. As torque is applied to the gears, they are pushed against the walls of the differential housing, creating friction. The friction resists the relative movement of the outputs and creates the limiting torque.

Last edited by futureuser; 10-28-2013 at 01:43 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truetrac differential help??