Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Strange Tranny Rattling Sound

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Strange Tranny Rattling Sound

As I accelerate I get this weird sound and slight vibration from the console/shifter area. It almost seemed like a small exhaust leak coming from around the y-pipe or maybe something rattling around in the little bin under the radio etc. I'm not sure quite how long this has been doing this, but I know its pretty obvious as of today. I was playing around on the way to work this morning trying to isolate it. I took everything out of the console to verify that it wasn't just something buzzing around and held onto it in a couple of places to quell any vibrations but that didn't do it. The noise/vibration gets louder and more noticeable with rpm. Idling at a stop light in neutral, foot off of the clutch, the sound and feel are still there, though only a little bit as again, it get louder with rpm. If I push the clutch in it goes away completely. I know something is wrong and I want to catch it before it does any serious damage (Oh God please, no new transmission) Now I have swapped clutches on a couple of cars, but I'm not really all that up on what parts are what. It's been a long time and I always just put everything back together the way it came out. Those were both non-hydraulic too, so I know the little bad boy in my car has some extra stuff going on. Any ideas here?

Last edited by AnotherWs6; 10-08-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Damn, thread got buried in minutes.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Nothin on this one? Pilot bearing? Throwout bearing? Do these symptoms sound familiar?

Quick Reply: Strange Tranny Rattling Sound