Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Starting Issue

Ok so a few weeks back my 99 TA decided to not start, VATS were fine and it was either a short or the starter. The next day I put it up, cleaned the ground from the battery and the starter grounds and it started perfectly for the last few weeks(its a DD).

Fast forward, yesterday it poured and my car was outside sitting in the rain for a while until I pulled it into the garage. When I started it to leave, it sounded like a grounding issue, starter seemed to only be getting power intermittently, but still started. Took it to a gas station about 3 minutes away, and after I filled up, no start. Relay still clicking, sat for about 10mins, and it started right up. Drove it the past few days with no issues until this afternoon, it would not start after sitting for around an hour.

Ended up having to clutch pop to get it going to bring it home. Tried to start it when I got back, starter sounded like it tried for 1/4 second, then nothing. Put it up on some stands and checked grounds + starter(which is quite hard to see with wires on top and the headers so close). Still no start, so I am not sure if the starter is bad or not(have no light meter) to test if its getting power or just another short. Any other things I can check for? Checked battery connection and battery ground, VATS is fine and I am getting relay click.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:04 AM
12 Second Club

Pull the starter and bring it to an auto parts store that can check it. When you pull it off shake it around stuff moves around more than likely the starter is the issue. Mine did the same exact thing and it was the starter.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Decided to drop the starter since it only takes a few minutes and see some silver in between the ground wire...ended up being a disconnected crimp connector above the starter that was making contact randomly to start, and now was not touching at all. Taped and reconnected it, all is well and I feel very stupid.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:40 PM
12 Second Club

It happens to the best of us. LOL At least you got it running.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fais95formula
Decided to drop the starter since it only takes a few minutes and see some silver in between the ground wire...ended up being a disconnected crimp connector above the starter that was making contact randomly to start, and now was not touching at all. Taped and reconnected it, all is well and I feel very stupid.
I know I am late, but this is a huge help to me, I have had the same problem, mine is a littel more sporatic . I have not pullte the starter, I will this weekend< Thanks!

Quick Reply: Another Starting Issue