5.3 turbo project

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 turbo project

Hey guys first newbie post hope im in the right section
My project car will be a 80 malibu rust free all original and the 6 cyl must go
My original plan was a duramax diesel but now after watching some vids ive changed my plans...5.3 engine and turbo my ?'s are the following
Trans? Turbo 400? 4l80? And why
No cheap ebay turbo thinking borg warner or bullseye batmo what size?
Tuning megasquirt or is there an easier way? I have friends with efi live programs for diesel trucks whats better\easier? If efi live is there a base tune i can get from someone?
Also plan on fabbing my own intake plenum,turbo and intercooler
Ill install better valvetrain parts and a cam any helpfull hints would be great.....thanks
Old 10-08-2013, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

Welcome to the forum, there are many outstanding examples of low $ end and high $ end turbo builds and everything in between on this forum. I would suggest that you do alot of research and look over some of the builds here in this forum, then build to what your skill set and budjet will allow.

Personally I would figure out what your budjet and your power goals are first, then if you need some help or suggestions address those issues by asking here.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Teching In

I have been reading here for a couple weeks now and some of the ?'s i asked i cant find the right ansers to....power goal i dont really know ...what can i expect with a basicly stock 5.3 with valvetrain upgrade and cam say maybe 7 to 8 psi? Also im not finding the answers to the tuning part of it...some say stock electronics tuned some say ms.....some guys using a 66m and some using a 76mm turbo
Old 10-08-2013, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just keep it simple. 5.3, kmj head studs, Brian tooley dual valve springs, good head gaskets, custom ground cam from any vendor on here, s475 with 96mm turbine, PTC converter, th400, Siemens 80lb injectors, stock wiring harness and stock ECM with hp tuners. Depending on fuel either pump with meth injection or e85 you can easily expect 700+ to the wheels keeping it under 20lbs boost before you lift the heads and push some water. Tune yourself and build it all yourself and you'll have one good budget setup.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:07 AM
TECH Regular

on the tuning- I personally like the MS, inexpensive, very DIY. Depending on what MS you go with some kind can be a little limited on features. Pretty basic but works great.

MS Downside- not all dyno tuners will mess with MS. Smaller amout of LS- MS users so feed back/help sometimes might not be as easy to get.

HPTuners- A little more on the expensive investment but alot more users. Very good tuning product.

Biggest choice for me is what trans I use. If Im running a non- electronic trans (th400/PG/ect) and on a budjet and just a weekend toy I would go with a MS. If its a newer model (w/ 4l80e/ect) more of a higher dollar toy, I would go with HPTuners.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Teching In

So is the ms pretty easy to figure out?
Whats the deal with using e85? Old pump gas dont do the trick?
Thanks guys
Old 10-09-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen348
So is the ms pretty easy to figure out?
Whats the deal with using e85? Old pump gas dont do the trick?
Thanks guys
It's just more prone to detonation. If you so use it run the highest octane you can get. If you keep the iats and timing down you'll be ok
Old 10-09-2013, 08:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

im going to try the microsquirt on my lq4 build. a little bare bones but its all I need .

Quick Reply: 5.3 turbo project