Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

A/F ratio

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default A/F ratio

It seems to me that it would be helpful to all if we have a thread with peoples builds and what they wound up with for their perfect A/F ratio. I know they are all a little different, but it may help with trends on a good starting point for those that haven't dialed theirs in yet.
I have this on my mind because my car has picked up a crank up issue with the Fast EZ on my LS3. I had slowly leaned the idle A/F to 14.6, but now am having an issue with cranking and then stalling right after the idle starts to come back down. I am thinking the A/F is too lean for the big ports on the LS3 heads. I just moved it to 13.8 and it seems to have fixed the problem.
I just think it may be helpful to see what other have come up with. Whatcha think?
Old 10-14-2013, 05:25 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Just give the car what it wants, I say. Otherwise, WOT will be 12.7ish.

Mine is 13.7-14.0 at idle.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:20 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Just give the car what it wants, I say. Otherwise, WOT will be 12.7ish.

Mine is 13.7-14.0 at idle.
exactly
none of my carbed setups have been able to idle with wideband readings leaner than 13.00, but then again, you cant trust an idle speed wideband reading if your cam has ANY amount of lope to it.
I just set it to idle as lean a I can get away with.
WOT seems best at about 12.8ish up to 13.00 even, on the n/a LS combo's Ive had

EDIT: I need to clarify, I re read my post and I worded it incorrectly , I did not mean that my stuff wants exactly 13.00at idle, I should have stated a/f's in the 13's for idle. I think this is a combination of a lopey cam, and my desire to have the car start and idle on its own from a cold start. Once hot it will idle at leaner wideband readings.
I should also add that my stuff has been happy with cruise and part throttle a/f's as lean as aprox 14.5, but I have needed to get fuel in quick on transitions to prevent hesitations. The stick shift is unforgiving in that area.

Last edited by 3pedals; 10-17-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

See, that is what Im talking about. Zones setup is happy at 13.7 to 14.0 at idle, 3 Pedals cant get his leaner than 13.0 at idle. WOT is close on the 2 opinions at 12.7 and 12.8 to 13.0.
If we knew the exact setups on the engines, this would give a noobie something to go on. I think it would be a worthy data base. With enough data, trends could be found. Like maybe the rec port heads require a richer A/F than cathedral ports, or a lower static compression might work better a little rich, just as examples.
Let us know what you came up with, carb guys !
Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The point I was trying to make is that the wideband should not be used for idle tuning
Old 10-15-2013, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

what about a carb makes an engine not want to idle as lean as an efi combo? i've always tuned idle with a wideband but i'm just stepping into carb stuff from the EFI world.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
what about a carb makes an engine not want to idle as lean as an efi combo? i've always tuned idle with a wideband but i'm just stepping into carb stuff from the EFI world.
That has to do with the idle circuit in the carb and is WAY over my head. Things like air bleeds and small holes drilled in the metering blocks go beyond my carb tuning expertise . I have built several Holleys over the years and have tuned them for WOT power and good drivability , but getting the idle circuit to work with a radical cam and have decent idle A/F ratio is above my knowledge level. That's why I have the Fast EZ on my carb intake. Pushing a button to adjust my idle, part throttle and WOT A/F makes it possible for me to micro tune my ratios without having to learn everything that goes into making a carb work flawlessly in a hotrod. Its a cop out ,but I don't have the patience I had in my younger days, LOL.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm close to 15:1 at idle. No issues.

One thing that helped tremendously was setting the idle screws so the transfer slots showed 20 thousands on the primary and secondary. I'm running a stock LS2 cam that has like 27 inches of vac at idle. I ended up backed off on the idle timing to get the idle speed right.

Before when I had a lot of timing at idle the idle speed screws were so far out that the primary butterflies were resting on the stops. This caused a stumble with slight throttle movements (tip in?). Getting the transfer slots right fixed that.

What is your timing doing on that Fast unit?
Old 10-15-2013, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

The ignition timing? I cant seem to see much difference so far in the settings. I have 12* starting to 30* by 1500 all in at 34* from 2000 to 3800, a dip to 30* from 3800 to 4500, then back up to 34* to red line. Ive kept that basic curve , but gone anywhere from 28* max to the 34* it is at right now without much effect. The only 2 times Ive been to the track for testing have been spent trouble shooting other things, so tweaks on the timing haven't shown much one way or the other. I think Im done with fixing the things that held me back now and am hoping for some good numbers this next time out and enough consistency to see what timing the engine wants.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car idles at around 14:1 and seems to be fine. And a motor pass at wot was around 11.5-11.9:1. It went 9.87. but it was a lil fat.

Just for kicks, I sprayed a .082 nitrous jet and at wot I seen 12.1:1 just before the 1000' mark. It was screaming to a 9.04 pass at 150 mph lol.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

What's your guys light throttle cruise afrs like. How do you adjust part throttle cruise afr?
Old 10-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

The part throttle cruise is affected by the idle air bleeds, the idle fuel restrictors and the primary main jets. In general, the idle air bleeds and idle fuel restrictions affect the low RPM more ie: below around 1800 RPM. Whereas the main jets have progressively more influence as the RPMs increase.

Pretty much the standard process for setting your cruise a/f ratio is to find your best WOT jetting and make note of your A/F ratio. Then start reducing your primary main jets until the cruise A/F ratio is around 14.5:1. Once you achieve that, you drill your power valve control restrictor orifices until your desired WOT A/F ratio is restored. Once that is done, you change powervalves until your part throttle transitions maintain roughly 14 to 15:1 A/F ratios.

Ignore the stuff you read about choosing your powervalve based on your idle vacuum. Choose the powervalve that keeps your a/f ratio where you want it at part throttle and in transitional driving. Light part throttle should be kept lean ie: 14 to nearly 16:1

Last edited by speedtigger; 10-15-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Ignore the stuff you read about choosing your powervalve based on your idle vacuum. Choose the powervalve that keeps your a/f ratio where you want it at part throttle and in transitional driving. Light part throttle should be kept lean ie: 14 to nearly 16:1
Man that's the truth. It doesn't help that half the things you read say to do it based on idle vac while the other half says cruise vac.

A wideband is a beautiful thing for this. I keep wanting to log a throttle position sensor and MAP reading into the LM2. Now that would allow dialing things into a gnats ***
Old 10-16-2013, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedtigger
The part throttle cruise is affected by the idle air bleeds, the idle fuel restrictors and the primary main jets. In general, the idle air bleeds and idle fuel restrictions affect the low RPM more ie: below around 1800 RPM. Whereas the main jets have progressively more influence as the RPMs increase.

Pretty much the standard process for setting your cruise a/f ratio is to find your best WOT jetting and make note of your A/F ratio. Then start reducing your primary main jets until the cruise A/F ratio is around 14.5:1. Once you achieve that, you drill your power valve control restrictor orifices until your desired WOT A/F ratio is restored. Once that is done, you change powervalves until your part throttle transitions maintain roughly 14 to 15:1 A/F ratios.

That's pretty interesting I've never heard it to be set like that. Dumb question but what do you drill the power valve restrictors with cuz I'm sure some drill bit kit from Menards pry doesn't get down to the .001 of a inch lol or is that much accuracy not needed? Also what if I need to run a pv smaller then 4.5, do they make them?
Old 10-17-2013, 05:12 AM
TECH Junkie

ebay is full of numbered hobby drill bits. Or hit a hobby shop. Make sure you get a pin vice with them.

Amazon.com: Pit Bull CHIDB003 Mini Drill Bit Set Tools Precision Tool Model Car, 21-Piece: na: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Pit Bull CHIDB003 Mini Drill Bit Set Tools Precision Tool Model Car, 21-Piece: na: Home Improvement
Old 10-17-2013, 06:55 AM
Old School Heavy

If you get a #73 - #40, you should every size you would ever need to work on a 4150 Holley carb. Or roughly .024" - .096"

http://www.gearhob.com/eng/design/drill_eng.htm
Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

I run my car squared up for drag racing but it is super fat at part throttle. It should have a power valve setup for street driving.
The guy who built it for me off Ebay(Mr.manifold) sent a street setup with power valves and diff jets. It worked great on the road. But the car is 90% drag race.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:46 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by JRracing
I run my car squared up for drag racing but it is super fat at part throttle. It should have a power valve setup for street driving.
The guy who built it for me off Ebay(Mr.manifold) sent a street setup with power valves and diff jets. It worked great on the road. But the car is 90% drag race.
I just did some testing last night where I plugged both powervalves and ran squared jetting. Once I found the ideal jetting, I put the powervalve back in and changed my PVCR to mimmick the A/F ratios of the squared jetting. Now I have the best of both worlds. Clean plugs and perfect WOT AFR.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Staging Lane

I like this thread
Old 10-19-2013, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Is your ezefi a multi port or TB version

I tried leaning mine out that much on my multi port ezefi with that much timing and yeah you will have issues. The idle afr I wasn't so worried about as I'm not idling for hours trying to save fuel. My idle and cruise were within a small amount of each other
I cruised at 13:1-13.7 range on mine

Quick Reply: A/F ratio