Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC install questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC install questions

So about 2 years ago ac compressor started making so really bad noises. So I removed in hopes of saving condenser and evaporator from explosion hell.
Now living in TX the time has come to prepare for next summer. I have bought a new dryer, Delphi compressor, orifice tube, and o-ring kit. I originally planned on having a shop flush, install, vacuum, and charge so it would be done right. They want $500!?!?! Does that sound about right? I understand it's a lot of work but wow. Already spent a good penny on these new parts. I would do it myself since I'm pretty sure I have the knowledge to but don't have a compressor for the flush, vacuum, and the sorts. Just looking for advice from people that have been there.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just did this, the install is straight forward, do a search on how much oil to put in the system and a once its all installed take it to a shop and have it vacuumed and charged. should be 50-100 dollars
Old 10-15-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you could remove the AC compressor yourself, you can install the replacement by yourself. Install and then have the shop evacuate and recharge.

However, you can even buy a vacuum pump for a little over $100.

I have only evacuated a couple AC systems. The others I just repaired, added R134a, and called it done. The moisture in the system decreases the efficiency, but the AC still gets cold enough.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

I'm not really worried about installing. More cautious about flushing the lines first from debris or buildup of having lines open for so long. Any thoughts on that process?
Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are some threads on how to flush the system but i hear its not easy, just pay someone to flush and charge it after everything is put together
Old 10-16-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

blow compressed air through all the line when they are and through each end of the evaporator and condenser. thats all i did...500 is insane DIY for that kind of money
Old 10-16-2013, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Yea. Just need to get access to a air compressor. Don't have much room to store one right now. only concern of mine putting it all together is making sure iI get correct o-rings installed but couldn't be that hard. So let's see here. Flush then blowout with compressor. Mineral oil on orings. Then I'll pay a shop to vaccuum and charge. Ty all

Quick Reply: AC install questions