Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Bizarre clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bizarre clutch issue

I replaced my clutch last year with all new LS7 parts - flywheel, PP and disk. It already had a monster unit installed that failed on me so there was already the LS7 slave. Until about a month ago the car drove fine, but had s persistent tick while the car is stationary that I could make disappear while slowly engaging the clutch in neutral. Then finally something failed and the car would not move under its own power and had a loud grinding noise coming from the bellhousing area.

I pulled it all apart and everything looks normal, no signs of abnormal wear or damage. The TOB ticks or clacks when shaking it in your hand so I replaced the entire slave assembly which comes with a new TOB. The pilot bearing also looks and feels smooth on the ID with no groove or damage to the input shaft.

I reassembled everything, torqued the PP to 48 lb-ft like I've seen recommended here and bled the system. The grinding noise still persists. It will go away completely when depressing the clutch pedal and then returns when releasing the pedal in neutral.

I'm basically stumped. My only thought is that the PP is somehow bad, but I don't want to order another one if there is something else I should be looking for. I'm posting here first in case there is some better V specific information. I have found little when searching and honestly I don't see any visual signs of failure upon inspection.

Any ideas?
Old 10-15-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my ls7 pressure plate took a **** on me..just replace it
Old 10-15-2013, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
my ls7 pressure plate took a **** on me..just replace it
I'm going to just order a new one. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

Update:

So far so good. No noise from the bellhousing area after replacing the PP and disk with new LS7 parts. I will be putting the driveshaft and exhaust back up today to test drive.

Quick Reply: Bizarre clutch issue