PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPtuners and LS1 edit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning using HPtuner and LS1 edit..no dyno???

After i get all of my mods on my car, I am going to buy one of these software programs so I can tune my car myself. what i want to know is how the hell do you learn how to use these things? Im an ISYS major, so I know how to use a computer, its the parameters and settings that I dont know how to set correctly. how did YOU learn what youre doing? Are there any tutorial websites or anything?

Also, like most people, I dont have a dyno sitting in my garage, are these designed to be used without a dyno? or will i still have to get my car on a dyno to use the hptuner or ls1 edit? if so, then wouldnt the program just be a waste of money since i had to pay someone else to dyno the car anyway? Im confused

Last edited by pbjones81; 05-05-2004 at 12:42 AM. Reason: .
Old 05-05-2004, 12:57 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kinda in the same boat with you. This site is great to learn stuff. I highly recommend you learn the art of "search" There's tons of threads on here to cover just about everything you could think to ask. Just requires ALOT of reading. I started learning a month or two ago and am just jammed packed with useless information right now. I've gotten part throttle tuning down I think, now I have to work on other aspects of tuning. More reading. To top it off I'm trying to help a friend of mine who has serious tuning issues and he knows less about it than I do so my car has kinda been put on hold until I figure out how to get his going. Read over at LS1Tuning.com too. Look up smileys excel spreadsheet or email me and I'll send it to you. It really helps you understand logging as far as what to log and what to look at when you do. As far as editors I see you have a 99 so in my opinion HPTuners is the only way to go. I have a 98 so it wasn't an option for me at the time. HPTuners is by far the best bang for your buck and it's written/sold by people that frequent the board so if you have problems or questions they'll be right here to ask. If I had a 99+ it wouldn't even have been an issue as to who I would've went with.
As far as the dyno, you should put it on a dyno after you get your part throttle tuning down because you can hook up a wideband and get an accurate A/F and tune for WOT without doing 100mph on the streets. Whether or not you buy your own editor or pay someone to do it you're gonna end up on a dyno either way. It'll be much cheaper to just rent the dyno time and tune yourself vs paying someone else to do it and if you add other mods down the road you have to pay them again. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong or add to it but that's the way I understand everything.