Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition troubles, please help!!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition troubles, please help!!

I am having an issue with getting my 02 TA WS6 to start when its cold. Its a stock LS1/6 speed. What its doing is when I turn the key to start, it will do nothing. Depending on how cold it is, I can keep it on start for 10 seconds and then it will fire up. This usually only happens during the cold mornings. During the day, it fires up just fine. I have replaced the battery and starter relay. Could it be the starter itself or some other ignition point? Its only been going on for the last 2 months and has just over 75K miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-15-2013, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's doing nothing as in wont turn over or do nothing as in wont fire?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Britt2020
It's doing nothing as in wont turn over or do nothing as in wont fire?
It won't turn over! I replaced the ignition relay as well last night and it turned over and fired right up, but it was warmer outside. Went to start it this morning and still has a delay before it turns over and fires up. The cold has something to do with it, but what? Thanks
Old 10-16-2013, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Sometimes those relays get sketchy connections. Something to try would be to get a piece of foam or something that you can put between the lid and the relays to keep downward pressure on them and give that a try.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Sometimes those relays get sketchy connections. Something to try would be to get a piece of foam or something that you can put between the lid and the relays to keep downward pressure on them and give that a try.
Tried it this morning with the foam pressure and still had to keep the key on start for about 10 seconds before it finally cranked. Any other ideas please??
Old 10-18-2013, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Have you made any recent modifications to the car? I still think its in the relay box. Has the box ever been removed? Do you have someone that can assist you in cranking the vehicle while you manipulate the connections of the relays and wires going to the box?
Old 10-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Sorry for the tardy response. I can only check if I fixed the problem once per day in the morning. I will fiddle with the relay box in the morning while my wife tries starting it. No engine mods have been done prior to this problem. Thanks
Old 10-24-2013, 03:56 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem with my 02 WS6. Only thing is mine will just not start at really bad times, you know when it's really hot out, raining, or I have to get somewhere. Check all of the grounds, follow the hot wire and make sure all the connections are tight.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:58 PM
Teching In

The connection on the key may not be getting a sound connection, might take it out and try it again. Just some things that have helped me.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Have you made any recent modifications to the car? I still think its in the relay box. Has the box ever been removed? Do you have someone that can assist you in cranking the vehicle while you manipulate the connections of the relays and wires going to the box?
It's like I have heard this before.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nighthawk38
It's like I have heard this before.
It's my go to song and dance.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have u checked possible corrosion in either battery cable? Bad ground?
Old 10-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Teching In

I have had a few problems in the relay box as well; starter relay and fuel pump relay. Get your multi meter in there when failing. I also found that using only the gray colored GM relays to be reliable. The black colored relay from the generic stores did not work. Figured this out after replacing the fuel pump.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe the ignition switch way down at the base of the steering column? When you turn the key in the ignition cylinder it pushes a long metal rod which links into the ignition switch. The rod could be out of alignment (expansion/contraction due to temperature changes in the steel) or the switch could be making poor contact.
Here's a write-up to try to mess with it:

http://shbox.com/ignsw/ign_switch_repl.html

I have a similar problem...turn the key to start and nothing will happen, have to wait a few seconds for the car to start cranking and turn over. I have a push button starter wired in after the ignition switch (still requires the key to be in the on position) and with that it starts up immediately every time, so I'm pretty sure the ignition switch is the culprit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition troubles, please help!!