Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

on3 turbo Kit new for ls1 cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default on3 turbo Kit new for ls1 cars

So mustangs have proven that these cheap turbos are, cheap and reliable.

So they make a complete kit that includes literally everything to bolt up to a catback. Nothing is needed to be purchased separately. Its really just a bolt on which is really cool.

Cost is under 2000$ for everything including the turbo and inter-cooler, hotside, downpipe band clamps etc etc.

Seems like they have a 67mm, 70mm, 76mm and a t4 flanged 88mm.

Housings up to .70, .81 .96 or something so I am seeing power potential.

Seems perfect for guy like me who is 19-20 years old on a cashier budget. So what do you all think? Ball bearing turbos, seems legit.

Here is the product description: http://on3performance.com/LS1NoAC.aspx

So on their ebay store the kit is only $1,875 plus $99 shipping for everything!
Attached Thumbnails on3 turbo Kit new for ls1 cars-on3turbols1kit1.jpg   on3 turbo Kit new for ls1 cars-on3turbols1kit2.jpg  

Last edited by Robbie Wilson; 10-17-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking about getting that kit as well, only without the turbo, wg, and bov. The hot/cold side looks pretty good and it comes with the manifolds already coated. However I've seen some bad reviews on the turbos and I'd rather not risk it on my daily driver. I'm thinking there kit with a tc76 or something similar on a 5.3 with 243 heads and a custom cam.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mongoose350
I'm thinking about getting that kit as well, only without the turbo, wg, and bov. The hot/cold side looks pretty good and it comes with the manifolds already coated. However I've seen some bad reviews on the turbos and I'd rather not risk it on my daily driver. I'm thinking there kit with a tc76 or something similar on a 5.3 with 243 heads and a custom cam.
Well mustang guys have pushed them and their limmits for 20,000 miles and perfect. They run 9's and 10's and recently a 90's 5.0 ran 8's with one of their turbo's, the 70mm I think.

I also found a write up on this exact kit:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...-write-up.html
Old 10-17-2013, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

I'm interested in this kit as well. If you go this route let us know the results.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Few guys around here run them just fine. I'd recommend getting the kit but a different turbo.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Launching!

The 4.6 motors are a bit smaller than the ls1. I spoke with Martin with Tick Performance about their turbos and he told me the turbine wheel on them (both 70mm & 76mm) is to small to support and LS motor. There really not ideal for something larger than a 4.8. It can be done and has. For an absolute budget build it'll get you rolling, but there's just much more power being left on the table. I'd love to see your results if you go with it though, and best of luck! Maybe try a gt-45, around the same price from what im finding and a ton of LS guys have run those. Just my .02.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

I hear the reason the turbo's are small is because of the radiator. They opted to not modify anything and so the compromise is that the turbo needs to be smaller to fit in the tight space.

I think you have to stand up the radiator to fit a larger turbo, but we'll see. I really am considering this as I have a spare ls1 lying around.

However, It seems like these on3 76's with .96ar only make around 500rwhp and it seems like a procharger puts down better numbers. So really I'm not sure.
I need to see some more numbers first and a few dynographs to compare the hptq curves.

Anyone know if the gt45 will bolt on to the rest of the kit. Seems too good to be true. I didn't know there were other good turbos for less than 800$. seems like gt45 is right around 450$

Then there is master power turbo's that are cheap as well. I wonder if anything with a t4 would work better than the on3 t76.

Then there is this: S400SX-75 ETT, 83mm t4 1.10ar 649$.

Last edited by Robbie Wilson; 10-18-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The thing that attracts me to the On3 kit is that you don't have to purchase a k member, which all the Huron Speed kits do.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
The thing that attracts me to the On3 kit is that you don't have to purchase a k member, which all the Huron Speed kits do.
That is INCORRECT. I have a Huron kit with a large frame turbo and their downpipe fits just fine. I'm using the STOCK k-member with NO modifications.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Wrong.. Do your research.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
That is INCORRECT. I have a Huron kit with a large frame turbo and their downpipe fits just fine. I'm using the STOCK k-member with NO modifications.
Well it says all over their website that a turbo k member and lowering/removal of front swaybar is needed to install the kit. If that isn't the case maybe they should be notified so that they can change that info because I didn't want their kit because I wanted to run my front swaybar and stock k member.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robbie Wilson
Well it says all over their website that a turbo k member and lowering/removal of front swaybar is needed to install the kit. If that isn't the case maybe they should be notified so that they can change that info because I didn't want their kit because I wanted to run my front swaybar and stock k member.
Again, that is incorrect. See screenshot taken from Huron Speed's website. No mention of needing a K-Member. If someone is self installing a turbo kit, they should have no problem lowering or removing their sway bar.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000SS1979
Wrong.. Do your research.
I'm going by the information posted on their website and it very clearly states you need an aftermarket K-member. Maybe they need to make some updates to that.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

I see now. Only on certain kits... ok got it. So it looks like the truck manifold kit is the only one that fits with stock k member. But will the sway bar fit with the turbo setup, or will you be forced to drive without it.

Of course I can remove the sway bar... I installed the strano 35mm bar. Question is will it it when I'm done installing the turbo.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

The chinese GT45 is only $245
Old 10-18-2013, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by edwardzracing
Again, that is incorrect. See screenshot taken from Huron Speed's website. No mention of needing a K-Member. If someone is self installing a turbo kit, they should have no problem lowering or removing their sway bar.

But, your right. Ultimately I see now that I can use the stock kmember, which is good.

It seems like the on3 and huron speed kits are virtually identical except that Huron speed is a little more expensive. Part of that cost comes from the better turbo so I'll wave the cost of turbo's for now.

Otherwise comparing the two kits, with huron speed we need to purchase/find truck manifolds, while on3 supplies them with the kit. Huron speed sells them for 395$. On top of that, the huron speed kit does not come with oil fitting's and lines. Those need to be added at an additional 140$. Additionally on3 supplies 44mm bov and 50mm waste-gate standard at no additional cost. Huron speed does not supply anything even if the on3 supplied parts are not the best, they can certainly get you down the road and work with the supplied t70 on3 turbo for 8psi on a stock engine. Not to mention everything is vbanded.

Both Huron speed and on3 kits are stainless/aluminum and the welds look great on both.

Huron speed kit comes with 4inch intercooler standard while on3 only has a 3inch standard but the upgraded 4inch intercooler can be had for 99$.

Both come with great hardware, clamps, fittings and elbows and ultimately both are great.

However:

Bottom line is that the huron speed kit ends up costing about $2800 for a complete kit with wastegate, bov and truck manifolds+ the truckmanifold kit without a turbo. Turbo can be any t4 so +409$ for the on3 turbo or +750$ for the turbonetics tc78 or +1000$ etc etc.

The on3 kit ends up costing about 2700$ for everything you need to get the car running including the on3 t76 .96 turbo.

Which is better? idk. Hard to say.

anyone care to compare the turbonetics tc78 f1 trim vs. the on3 t76 with .96 exhuast housing?

Ultimately huron speed is more expensive and I am unsure if the front swaybar can be run, so for those reasons I would lean towards the on3 kit.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Robbie Wilson

Ultimately huron speed is more expensive and I am unsure if the front swaybar can be run, so for those reasons I would lean towards the on3 kit.
I have the Huron Speed kit with STOCK K-member and sway bar (I had to space the swaybar down slightly but nothing major)
Old 10-18-2013, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have experience with pretty much all the options all you listed above.

I use to have a Vortech blower on my car and I didn't like it. The blower rubbed the under side of the hood and with tons of cutting it still rubbed. It leaked oil and overall was just a small blower. Made ok power but it was nothing like my turbo setup now.

The Huron Speed kit is good and I'm happy with it. Costs more then the On3 kit but Jon is a great guy and I haven't had an issue with the kit. Bolts up nice. I do not run a sway bar on my car but it is possible.

My buddy has a T/A with a On3 kit on it. At first he ran a 70mm and now he has a 76mm On3 turbo. The 70mm took a crap on him when the oil pump relay burnt out. You can defiantly see the quality difference between the two turbo kits. But the On3 kit is the cheapest/most complete way to boost an f-body period. And it works. Were in the middle of putting the oil pan back on the car and getting rid of the oil pump setup with a -10 drain in the pan.

My other friend has a D1SC on his Camaro (all three of us hangout and work on each others junk). The procharger is just not something I would spend my money on. It's maxed out on the 6 rib setup and only makes about 136kpa. But were also at 5500-6000 ft. Car still feels fast but its maxed out blower wise.

This is my opinion. If I had to do it all over again...I would build my own turbo kit. Stand up the radiator, and mount the turbo higher. Hope this information helps you decide.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And the A/C kits need a turbo k-member. The non A/C kits use the stock k-member from both companys.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LT1RAY
I have experience with pretty much all the options all you listed above.

I use to have a Vortech blower on my car and I didn't like it. The blower rubbed the under side of the hood and with tons of cutting it still rubbed. It leaked oil and overall was just a small blower. Made ok power but it was nothing like my turbo setup now.

The Huron Speed kit is good and I'm happy with it. Costs more then the On3 kit but Jon is a great guy and I haven't had an issue with the kit. Bolts up nice. I do not run a sway bar on my car but it is possible.

My buddy has a T/A with a On3 kit on it. At first he ran a 70mm and now he has a 76mm On3 turbo. The 70mm took a crap on him when the oil pump relay burnt out. You can defiantly see the quality difference between the two turbo kits. But the On3 kit is the cheapest/most complete way to boost an f-body period. And it works. Were in the middle of putting the oil pan back on the car and getting rid of the oil pump setup with a -10 drain in the pan.

My other friend has a D1SC on his Camaro (all three of us hangout and work on each others junk). The procharger is just not something I would spend my money on. It's maxed out on the 6 rib setup and only makes about 136kpa. But were also at 5500-6000 ft. Car still feels fast but its maxed out blower wise.

This is my opinion. If I had to do it all over again...I would build my own turbo kit. Stand up the radiator, and mount the turbo higher. Hope this information helps you decide.
Thanks for your insight. Unfortunately I don't have the means to build my own kit especially because I live in California. I couldn't even find anyone willing to make me duals that dump at the rear to go with my longtues on my lt1. No one touches a car without cats with a ten foot pole, let alone a custom turbo... forget it.

I am 20 years old and work out of my parents drive way. No shop, no lift, no roof, no help. I have a dremel and a jigsaw, wrenches and ratchets, jacks, jack-stands, rhino ramps and a whole lot of heart.

Come to think of it, I have this spare engine and trans, but without a lift I don't know if I could swap the engine's on my own. Idk what I'm going to do about that. I always was focused on getting the engine ready and finding an affordable turbo but in reality I am not even sure I have the means to complete the project. So I guess that's it for a while.

Even though I found a turbo kit I can afford, even if I bought it I wouldn't have the slightest clue how I would manage swapping engines in my driveway. I would need to swap the lt1 to ls1 and add the turbo in the process but I am seriously starting to have doubts about that now that I actually sit down and think about it.

I might have to just sell the engine and just focus on getting through college. Its weird that this all just hit me at once while typing this, but I always do think out loud and figure things out through writing. I guess that's why I am an English major. But...

I guess that's it for me for a while. I always end up thinking that I should stop wasting money on the damned camaro especially as I get older. Cars just aren't as cool as they were in highschool, especially 16 year old cars.

It's really weird but I don't know what else to say. I guess I just really liked the idea of building a turbo ls1 but in reality it's just a very stupid thing for me to undertake.

I wonder if this is what it feels like to break up a relationship.

I hope this thread and the info here helps people out with their cars but this might be the end of me for a while.

Quick Reply: on3 turbo Kit new for ls1 cars