LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stud Girdles on Comp Gold Rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 06:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stud Girdles on Comp Gold Rockers?

Ok guys, i guess for the time being unless someone makes an offer I'm putting my LT1 back together. I want to squash the polylock gremlin thats been plauging my build since day 1. Im currently running a Comp Gold 1.6 Rocker on my Dart Pro 1 heads with Dart Factory studs. The polylocks constantly back off on these (and yes were setting them right, I promise you). So my question is can I ditch the polylocks and run an aftermarket stud girdle? Will it clear the rockers? Is there any other better solution to eliminate the polylocks?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a stud girdle on LT1 heads for a couple of seasons but found that they were relatively ineffective in my application. There were no issues with the polylocks backing off but they were inadequate in terms of stabilizing the valve train. The valves still required re-lashing after every second or third run and there was evidence that components were moving around at high RPM. A set of T & D shaft rockers resolved the issues for good.

c
Old 10-18-2013, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

how much would i be looking at for a shaft mount setup... heads are dart pro 1s
Old 10-18-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by maxplusten
.... The polylocks constantly back off on these (and yes were setting them right, I promise you).
When you say you were setting them correctly, do you mean you tightened the set screws to 22 ft/lbs? (That's the number that ARP calls out)
Old 10-18-2013, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would be looking at replacing the studs and or polylocks before a stud girdle and if you wanted to do a stud girdle I would just skip that and do shaft mount.

Really though I would try to figure out why you are having a problem almost nobody else does.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

yea i think its time to just upgrade to shaft mounts. Im tired of fighting the current setup.

Quick Reply: Stud Girdles on Comp Gold Rockers?