Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Torsen vs Auburn???

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsen vs Auburn???

Hey guys several weeks back I came across a great deal on a original SLP upgraded rear end with AAM cover from a 96 SS Camaro it has the torsen diff I was really excited to find one from a low mileage car and in good condition. But the past few weeks I have read some postings around and about that has me thinking should I install it? most of the posting's I found says the Auburn is good for straight and cornering where the Torsen is only good for cornering and will break easily if you drag race. A couple of years ago I came across a deal on my 93 formula I really wanted to do something different with this car than my other T/A's I mostly use it for a daily driver but in the years ahead I really would like to get into some amatuer auto cross and light road racing and I thought this rear end setup would be a decent upgrade compared to the stock diff. And also everywhere I looked they mentioned the Auburn being the upgraded rear end SLP offered so how was the torsen offered??? and what years was it available??? If any members have any advise or suggestions it would be helpful thx
Old 10-19-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

up to 1998,Auburn was used in the rears. 1999 and later,f-bods came off the assembly line with Torsen. cars going to SLP form the assembly line could option an Auburn to replace the currently supplied Torsen.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Either will be fine if they are in good shape.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id rather use a unit with replaceable clutches than a unit that self destructs when there is a failure. Having said that I've never broken a Torsen.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FiredUpZ28
Id rather use a unit with replaceable clutches than a unit that self destructs when there is a failure. Having said that I've never broken a Torsen.
You may want to double check, but most Auburn units do not have clutches. They may have changed the design on some of the newer units, but Auburn used a cone style for many years. They work great, but there generally is no rebuilding them.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nevermind65
You may want to double check, but most Auburn units do not have clutches. They may have changed the design on some of the newer units, but Auburn used a cone style for many years. They work great, but there generally is no rebuilding them.
This is true. The Auburns have a cone style that is servicable by the factory only. Last year I went thru 2 auburn posi units in my old 10 bolt. I would not speak highly of them. When speaking to Auburn about my issues they asked what type of driving I do with the car. My response was some street miles and about 20+ trips down the strip. They stated that the 20+ runs in a 2 month period is what killed the posi. The second one only lasted 2 more months before 4 of the gears sheared off in the posi unit.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My auburn lasted 180k miles and 200+ drag launches with drag radials and streets from stock to 3.90 gears. It just died one day and became a "locker" during a turn in a parking lot. You don't service an auburn. No one said they could repair it once I lost a spider gear. I got a pull out auburn with 40k on it to replace it only to lose some gear teeth after 30k miles at which point b/w 2 cars and 5 10bolt repairs later I went with a 9 inch.

I used to drag race my 3rd gen with a 4th gen torsen diff with 1.9/2.0 60 fts with no problem. It was an auto so it was much gentler on the rear. I'd imagine my 6 speed shredding the tiny worm gears on that diff.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

I have repaired the old Chrysler 8.75" which had a cone style. If they are the same style, and I believe they are, you can repair them. Cost about $50.

Quick Reply: Torsen vs Auburn???