Sponsored by:

Starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter problems

Okay while I'm spinning the engine to fire it sounds like the starter solenoid
kicking on and off. And once the engine hits the compression stroke to start it kicks the starter completely out then grinds. No bent flywheel or teeth missing.

I have battery positive going to the very outer starter post and an 8 gauge wire to the little 10mm nut on the top. I figure the block grounds the starter. The battery is in the trunk and I'm using 0 gauge welding wire for positive and a 4 gauge wire for ground to the body just by the battery and also under the car to the block grounded just under the passenger side manifold

Unless there is a ground that I'm missing I cant figure this out.
Is there supposed to be a small ground wire going to the the starter? There is a spot that looks like maybe it had a ground once, its on the outer side of the starter and looks like a long bolt that holds the solenoid to the starter.

Ideas anyone?
Old 10-19-2013, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like the starter or solenoid may be bad.

Your wiring sounds fine. I have 4ga positive and one braided ground from the cylinder head to the body with a trunk mounted battery and don't have any issues with my starter.

What starter do you have? I've heard of the short bolt starters twisting and breaking the block, perhaps yours is moving? Are the bolts tight?
Old 10-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Bad starter, I jumped the hot to the solenoid actuator input and still kicked in and out. Going to purchase a new starter. Long bolt starter too, since mine was a shortly. I was worried I had a bad input wire or something but no, I get to spend more $ on a starter. Yay! Just volleyed up my build and I'm damn near 21k on parts and the car (which I got for 500). I bet I have another 10k to go before I drive it. I could have a new camaro darn it lol. .

Quick Reply: Starter problems